Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 September 2017, 17:57
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Bama has 3 cupcake games, non rated teams in a row.
Thats so they can put their 3rd string in after the first quarter and give them some experience running up the score.
By the time they play a rated team everybody is fresh and good play time to give all of their 4 and 5 star players game time.
Maybe some of these other top rated teams will figure this out some year.
I see an upset in Alabama's future. The football gods demand it, and so it shall be.

Then LSU, Tennessee and Auburn can take a proverbial baseball bat and beat the Tide into some off brand detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post

It has nothing to do with impressing the playoff committee, and everything to do with money for Fresno, or whatever school, and being able to not get banged up from playing tough games every single week.

I dont see how Alabama vs an NFL team would prove anything. Players develop in the NFL, and a team with a few people who will be drafted playing against a team full of people who have been drafted doesnt really prove anything.
Sure, exposure for Fresno State, or Colorado State or whoever is in the mix. But it's definitely a way for Alabama to pad their record with an easy W, which in turn goes a long way toward impressing the "playoff" committee. In college football, losses take on a way bigger life in terms of where a team winds up in the so called polls. Again, in a true playoff with 12 teams lining up, it wouldn't matter so much. Another benefit of a true playoff would be that Alabama actually has to really engage in a playoff with some stiffer opponents, not some beauty contest where 4 teams get chosen to participate in a semi-final game before the big one. The college football "playoff" is the antithesis of the tough Stanley Cup playoffs, where even an 8th seeded team has a chance, not to mention the champion having to win 16 games out a possible 28.

As for Alabama playing NFL teams, agonyea is always going on about how many of the Alabama players are NFL ready. And some games against even the worst NFL teams would prove that they are still just a very good college team that pads their record with "bottom feeders" and "cupcakes".

Sure, Alabama playing the Browns 12 games in a row is ridiculous, but no more so than lining up competition in the form of Fresno State.
Old 11 September 2017, 18:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I see an upset in Alabama's future. The football gods demand it, and so it shall be.

Then LSU, Tennessee and Auburn can take a proverbial baseball bat and beat the Tide into some off brand detergent.

Sure, exposure for Fresno State, or Colorado State or whoever is in the mix. But it's definitely a way for Alabama to pad their record with an easy W, which in turn goes a long way toward impressing the "playoff" committee. In college football, losses take on a way bigger life in terms of where a team winds up in the so called polls. Again, in a true playoff with 12 teams lining up, it wouldn't matter so much. Another benefit of a true playoff would be that Alabama actually has to really engage in a playoff with some stiffer opponents, not some beauty contest where 4 teams get chosen to participate in a semi-final game before the big one. The college football "playoff" is the antithesis of the tough Stanley Cup playoffs, where even an 8th seeded team has a chance.

As for Alabama playing NFL teams, agonyea is always going on about how many of the Alabama players are NFL ready. And some games against even the worst NFL teams would prove that they are still just a very good college team that pads their record with "bottom feeders" and "cupcakes".

Sure, Alabama playing the Browns 12 games in a row is ridiculous, but no more so than lining up competition in the form of Fresno State.
I get that it pads the schedule, but playing non power 5 and FCS schools is not new for the playoffs system. What I dont understand though is why people only talk shit about the SEC teams that do it. People will bitch no matter what. Like I said, when the Alabama vs Fresno game was scheduled, Fresno may have very possibly been ranked. There is no way to know how a team will be several years in the future. On top of that, at the end of the season when bowl time comes around, people wont give any non power 5 school the time of day saying "but they dont play anyone", but then they complain when they schedule bigger non conference games.

As far as the size of the playoffs are concerned, I would like to see it expanded a little bit, probably to 8 teams, but what makes college football so great in my opinion is that every game matters.

To think that Alabama vs the browns is remotely close to the same as scheduling Fresno State, or really any other FBS team for that matter...surely must be a joke, right?

I did get a chuckle out of the detergent comment though!
Old 11 September 2017, 19:16

Quote:
I get that it pads the schedule, but playing non power 5 and FCS schools is not new for the playoffs system.
My understanding was that the power schools always used some 'softer' teams to open the season as a way to get their teams ready for conference play. So, Florida might open the season against East Carolina or Troy St., but finish against FSU, with the schedule getting progressively more difficult as the season developed.

The small schools knew they would get blown out, but revenue and national TV coverage were the reward.

The last few years, it seems like some teams are starting with much more difficult games early in the season and I don't know why they would do it. There may be some padding going on, but nobody rides for free in conference games.
Old 12 September 2017, 01:47
Confirmed User

Does no one remember what college football was like before the pkayoff which just started a few years ago?
Old 12 September 2017, 05:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post
My understanding was that the power schools always used some 'softer' teams to open the season as a way to get their teams ready for conference play. So, Florida might open the season against East Carolina or Troy St., but finish against FSU, with the schedule getting progressively more difficult as the season developed.

The small schools knew they would get blown out, but revenue and national TV coverage were the reward.

The last few years, it seems like some teams are starting with much more difficult games early in the season and I don't know why they would do it. There may be some padding going on, but nobody rides for free in conference games.
To start the season off, or even during the season. I dont know what all the scheduling criteria is, but one example that I do know of is to be bowl eligible, out of the 6 wins that are required 1 is allowed to be from an FCS school. Why would they want to schedule a team, like clemson, or any other team that is going to be a higher risk of injury to players before a game that could affect their chance at winning their division/conference, and of course playoff chances when they can schedule another small school and be stronger going into the next game? Just my opinion.
Old 12 September 2017, 08:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post

A lot of teams would use East Carolina as a tune up; unfortunately and to their detriment, they have been known as giant killers. Historically they have been a solid program; not always top-25, but solid enough to make games interesting.

Alas, ECU is a dumpster fire now.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:15
Been There Done That

Watching Kentucky play it's "warm-up" games one has to wonder which is the 'softer' team on the field....
Old 12 September 2017, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Does no one remember what college football was like before the pkayoff which just started a few years ago?
Sure do, it was a more violent form of figure skating.
Old 13 September 2017, 05:39
Been There Done That

Spinner cant be a winner while supporting losers. College football Gods support St. Nick !
This year or next year Spinner wants a better system to support his team, who ever that is. Just don't let it be the top 4 teams every year !
Old 13 September 2017, 17:37

That's just it, I don't have a team. Other than the Bears, although the jury is still out on them.

Since the whole college season comes down to a committee casting votes to determine who is going to the semi finals of the "playoffs", I feel it necessary to root for all of the top teams to go down in defeat throughout the season. Since Alabama always seems to be ranked near or at the top, they get the full measure of my anti-rooting interest.

Might as well treat the whole season as one big playoff, with the exception of how everything gets settled in the end. 4 teams getting voted on by judges to participate in what amounts to the semi finals beauty contest.

It's contact figure skating.

Last edited by Spinner; 13 September 2017 at 17:45.
Old 13 September 2017, 17:45
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
A lot of teams would use East Carolina as a tune up; unfortunately and to their detriment, they have been known as giant killers. Historically they have been a solid program; not always top-25, but solid enough to make games interesting.

Alas, ECU is a dumpster fire now.
I hope they continue the dumpster fire on Saturday.
Old 13 September 2017, 21:22
Been There Done That

No matter how many teams there are. Someone will always feel left out. I would really like to see it be the 5 power conference champions and the highest ranking non power 5 team. If you expand it to too many teams it will devalue the rest of the season.
Old 14 September 2017, 07:40
Confirmed User

Comprehensive playoffs in other sports don't devalue the their seasons? Not even in Div II or III football.

I'd like see the conference champions from all Div I conferences plus a couple independent of at large teams that qualify put into a playoff.
Old 14 September 2017, 08:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
I hope they continue the dumpster fire on Saturday.
I think it's a foregone conclusion. Although Bud Foster is being nice, says we're competitive, yadda yadda yadda. The line is 22, I think, and that is generous.

At this point, I want to lose out, burn the program to the ground, start anew, with a new AD.
Old 14 September 2017, 15:01

Quote:
No matter how many teams there are. Someone will always feel left out. I would really like to see it be the 5 power conference champions and the highest ranking non power 5 team. If you expand it to too many teams it will devalue the rest of the season.
How in the world does it devalue the rest of the season?

That's the thing about playoffs, it's a completely new season, a one-and-done or win and advance situation. The whole idea of playing a season is to reach a point where teams can be seeded for the purpose of playing each other over the course of several games to determine an overall winner, a champion.

I think a playoff presents a real problem for a team like Alabama, which would have to win 3 or 4 straight games against much stiffer opponents. The fact that they may have played a few games against tough opponents shouldn't matter, as pretty much all of the teams in an expanded playoff would have had to do the same to get there.

4 teams is a joke. 8 teams is a little better, but ideally it would involve 12 teams. As an incentive, give the top 4 teams in the final poll a first round bye, which would then reduce the number of teams for the second round to 8, and then any of those top 4 teams would still have to win 3 games to win the championship.

That's hardly a burden for any of these programs or their players.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
How in the world does it devalue the rest of the season?

That's the thing about playoffs, it's a completely new season, a one-and-done or win and advance situation. The whole idea of playing a season is to reach a point where teams can be seeded for the purpose of playing each other over the course of several games to determine an overall winner, a champion.

I think a playoff presents a real problem for a team like Alabama, which would have to win 3 or 4 straight games against much stiffer opponents. The fact that they may have played a few games against tough opponents shouldn't matter, as pretty much all of the teams in an expanded playoff would have had to do the same to get there.

4 teams is a joke. 8 teams is a little better, but ideally it would involve 12 teams. As an incentive, give the top 4 teams in the final poll a first round bye, which would then reduce the number of teams for the second round to 8, and then any of those top 4 teams would still have to win 3 games to win the championship.

That's hardly a burden for any of these programs or their players.
It devalues the rest of the season because it makes each individual game less important to win. Look at the NFL. Teams with losing records have made the playoffs. Obviously that is extreme, but the point is the same. Hell, the falcons made it to the superbowl last year and 5 other teams had beat them during the regular season.

You say the playoffs make it harder for Alabama, but it really makes it much easier. For many years the SEC West was the toughtest division in college football. It still may be, although I dont think the SEC as a whole is anything more than an average in terms of the power 5 over the last several years. The playoff means that losing to another SEC team will not hurt their chances for the playoffs. You say its a lot of games for them to have to win, which is true, but now at least some of the teams youre wanting to add will have likely already lost to these top 4 teams.

My personal opinion though, as I have stated before is the best way to do the playoff would be 6 teams.

The 5 power conference champions, and the highest ranking non power 5 school, and if they just have to have an additional two teams to make it 8, the next two highest ranking teams.
Old 14 September 2017, 16:58

It doesn't devalue the regular season, if anything it makes it more realistic. Sure, teams want to win every game they can and finish with the best record they can, especially against tougher opponents.

But in the end, the various polls and the playoff committee put way too much emphasis on a loss, or even two losses. If a team plays a great game against a tough opponent, or even a couple, and loses those games by a very tight score, that shouldn't have as much of an effect as it currently does. It would certainly drop them down in the polls and away from that top 4 first round bye I suggested, but it wouldn't necessarily knock them out of a playoff.

Perhaps that all made more sense when the mythical national champion was crowned by votes alone, but no more. IMO, when it comes to football playoffs, anything less than 12 teams is a joke. And a loss or two, under the right circumstances, shouldn't count a capable and qualified team out of the mix. And Alabama, believe it or not, might be one of those teams who somehow lost a couple of games, even late in the season. But if they are a truly superior team in the context of a bunch of other really good teams, they would be eligible to play for the championship too. This whole loss phobia by pollsters and the committee belongs back in the stone age, along with all of the other fossils that represented the useless methods for determining which is the best division I college football team.

Last edited by Spinner; 14 September 2017 at 17:07.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:52
Confirmed User

The Air Force Blue Falcons are playing Big Blue hard.
Old 16 September 2017, 14:00

That would be a major upset if they could knock off Michigan.
Old 16 September 2017, 14:20
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
That would be a major upset if they could knock off Michigan.
Understatement much?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules