Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old Today, 19:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

Barracks Lore...or, Military Tales and Legends Which May Be True...

This thread is for all of those stories or dubious facts, told by salty E-4s, as they try to impress the newbie E-2s, in front of an audience of captive E-3s.

When I was a junior troop, I heard plenty of facts about military life and history that probably should have been true, or, at least, could have been true. For me, these tales were heard around the warming barrel, waiting for the next LFX iteration, or while sitting around, rigged up, on a rainy day, waiting for SOMEONE to have the balls to CANX the jump.

Now, every Soldier/Sailor/Airman/Marine/Coastie has an iPhone with web access glued to their hand at all times...and I'm guessing the ability to fact-check sea stories hasn't changed a thing.

My favorite still has to be "Mr. Rogers was a sniper, had 75 confirmed kills in Korea," followed closely by "If you win the lottery, the Army has to left you out of your enlistment early."

So...let the tales begin...
Old Today, 19:26
Bitter old man.

Boot camp getting inoculated. The shot in the left nut with a square needle.

The Phantom shitter.
Old Today, 19:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
"Mr. Rogers was a sniper, had 75 confirmed kills in Korea,"
That one's made the rounds with Captain Kangaroo and John Denver also.
Old Today, 19:28
Authorized Personnel

Not really a story, but the old Atomic sit up was always my favorite joe humor barracks gag.
Old Today, 19:31
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

How about the tale of a venereal disease so wicked, if you contract it you can never return home to the states?
Old Today, 19:31
Policeman Officer

Black syphilis... it enraged me that guy's actually believed there was an island where you would get sent if you caught the dreaded black syphilis. No due process... just gone. "But AIDs patients don't get sent there? Seriously?!?!"

Edit: Spinner barely beat me!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old Today, 19:32
One jump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
The Phantom shitter.
The Phantom shitter is real! That fucker was on Masirah Island in the Fall/Winter of 2001. Shitting in the showers, no less...

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old Today, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Black syphilis... it enraged me that guy's actually believed there was an island where you would get sent if you caught the dreaded black syphilis. No due process... just gone. "But AIDs patients don't get sent there? Seriously?!?!"

Edit: Spinner barely beat me!
VD so bad, your manhood turned pitch black, shriveled up and then just fell off.

I must have hit the save button just seconds ahead of you.
Old Today, 19:40
Been There Done That

Every damn Bigfoot story that was told by some yahoo in 2nd Batt.
Old Today, 19:49
Been There Done That

Ok how about the Basic Trainee that was left to buff the barracks and tried to commit suicide by tying the power cord around his neck and throwing the buffer out the window. Then the buffer smashes on the ground with slack in the cord doing nothing to the Trainee. The DI's then give the kid an Article 15 for destroying government property.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old Today, 19:50
Authorized Personnel

Always seem to be a story of someone in Basic trying to kill themselves by putting the cord around their neck and throwing it out the window.

When I was at Bragg 84-88(can’t rember exactly what year), there was a story of a Staff duty Officer being stuffed in a wall locker and thrown out a window...twice. He died on the second trip.

Edit to add: Joker beat me to the buffer story... must be true

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old Today, 20:00
Been There Done That

Local story. How did that .380 Auto hole get in the tile of 1st Plt's hallway in 1276W? DH? Enquiring minds want to know?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old Today, 20:04
Confirmed User

The Air Force gets sub-standard living pay when living on posts not up to USAF standards. That might be true.
Old Today, 20:42
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37F5V View Post
The Phantom shitter is real! That fucker was on Masirah Island in the Fall/Winter of 2001. Shitting in the showers, no less...
We had the scumbag on the Nimitz in 1982 he targeted the showers and the handheld shower heads for the entire cruise.
Old Today, 20:46
pumpin gas and kickin ass

You can actually use a poncho liner as a parachute in a Typhoon off the 4th deck at Camp Schwab.....

Dude ended up on the front lawn...
Old Today, 20:50

I had heard the one about the USAF crew chief in Germany during the Cold War. Supposedly, he wanted to go back to the States so he decided to steal a C130 one night. He had watched the pilots enough that he knew which levers and switches to push. He managed to get airborne and was flying around. The Air Force scrambled some fighters to intercept him and the had to shoot him down because they were afraid he was either going to defect to the other side or try to start a war.

I always thought the story was bullshit until i read this yesterday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43800089
Old Today, 21:06

I know that a young airman once took off in an F-86, flew around for awhile and then landed safely.

What's even more amazing is that after his punishment he was allowed to serve out the rest of his enlistment. That was written up in Air & Space magazine awhile back.
Old Today, 21:10
Authorized Personnel

There was a guy in my company in Korea who believed the lie that if you had a broken bone or were sick you couldn't be sent back to the States until it healed.

He was in love with a buttwhore. All his time and money went to her, and he got orders.

So he tried to break his own leg. Didn't work. Not sure if he got Article 15d or what but he definitely was on the plane to his next duty station, a little worse for wear, and dead broke and heartbroken.
Old Today, 21:15
Authorized Personnel

At least he didn't end up on the island of the black syph.
Old Today, 21:18
Confirmed User

Dude is like, guys, my wife sent me a tape from back home. Check it out! Dude plays tape. Wife is screwing dudes best friend while looking into camera, and says "Honey, I want I divorce!". Dude's platoon puts him on suicide watch.

Don't know how many versions of that I've heard, but hey, it was in the movie Jarhead, so must be true!

Our new posting rules