SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 10 August 2018, 08:54
0311/8651

There were several KIAs-Natl. Guard and Reserve in Nam
Old 20 August 2018, 14:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My apologies for posting in the Ranger form but military background is meaningless for a martial arts instructor. It adds no credibility whatsoever even if he were telling the absolute truth.
I dont think this is 100% accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Larsen

Funny when I first saw the Marine/Ranger thing I figured it was about Matt.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 20 August 2018, 15:37
Been There Done That

FYI - I have nothing on the guys mentioned.

Yep. Matt Larsen can tie your ass in a knot in about 2 seconds.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 20 August 2018, 15:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I dont think this is 100% accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Larsen

Funny when I first saw the Marine/Ranger thing I figured it was about Matt.
Being a veteran though has led me to have some credibility with other veterans looking for a martial arts school/instructor. As several of my students, Iraq and Afghan vets, have told me that is what attracted them to my school over the competition. Stated they would have a hard time relating to an Instructor who had never served. Currently around 1/3 of my students are either veterans or currently serving in the NG or reserves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 September 2018, 17:32
BTDT

There was/is? a LRS Georgia National Guard unit. Originally in Cartersville and Summerville. Last I heard, they were training out of the old Fort Gilham just east of Atlanta. Don't know if they ever activated, but the unit was part of (if the correct term) 18th Airborne Corps. Lot's of former Batt guys served in this unit.
Old 6 September 2018, 19:10
RIP Cass and SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
There was/is? a LRS Georgia National Guard unit. Originally in Cartersville and Summerville. Last I heard, they were training out of the old Fort Gilham just east of Atlanta. Don't know if they ever activated, but the unit was part of (if the correct term) 18th Airborne Corps. Lot's of former Batt guys served in this unit.
A few guys I deployed with came from the LRS unit the the GA Guard. It was Hotel Co 1/121IN if I'm not mistaken. They recently deactivated it and are phasing it out, IIRC.

They were pretty selective in who they took and I heard they trained pretty hard. It was like finding the holy grail if you even got asked to take a PT test for them.

Pretty good guys from what I remember and see from the ones who just rotated back to us legs.
Old 8 September 2018, 02:04
Been There Done That

The local goof in town teaches choi kwang do.
If you just want the kid and wife out of your hair for some hours that would be the most effective use of that art, for hand to hand combat it looks like a waste of time.
Many tma's can be fun for folks, provide exercise and confidence...but imo that confidence is a really bad thing, because most techniques won't work as advertised.

I'm partial to Brazilian Jui Jitsu, and from the guys I've trained and grappled with there seem to be a specific set of arts that work well when going hard with someone.
Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai, Sambo are all very solid. I'd go with one of those.

Our new posting rules