SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 March 2019, 18:37
Been There Done That

College Scandal

Just amazing...curious as to whether any of these 'elite' Hollywood-types will see jail time, or pull some liberal heart strings and pay a fine.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/felicity-...uthorities-say
Old 12 March 2019, 18:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Just amazing...curious as to whether any of these 'elite' Hollywood-types will see jail time, or pull some liberal heart strings and pay a fine.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/felicity-...uthorities-say
Meh the rich rarely see jail time liberal or conservative. On the other hand as this has gotten national news a few will likely have to go. Not as many or for as long if any of us little people did the something similar.

Of course what really is funny to me is that just donating the $ directly to the intended school would likely have the same effect and been completely legal.
Old 12 March 2019, 18:51
Freelancer

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a crime? If someone could explain this to my ignorant ass.
Old 12 March 2019, 18:53
Confirmed User

Lori Laughlin had "up to $6.5 million" to spend on college bribes? Who knew playing Uncle Jessie's wife, and the girlfriend in RAD paid so well...
Old 12 March 2019, 19:03
Authorized Personnel

Who the fuck would pay 500K to get their kid into USC... WTF???

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 12 March 2019, 19:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a crime? If someone could explain this to my ignorant ass.
Quote:
18 USCS prec 201(b), whoever directly or indirectly, corruptly gives, offers or promises anything of value to any public official with intent to influence that persons official act will be fined for the offence of bribery.
I'm guessing there is a public official somewhere at the center of this convoluted mess, or perhaps prosecutors are trying to create a nexus of public money to substitute for public officials...but, federal bribery needs to include the element of "public officials." Not exactly the crime of the century.
Old 12 March 2019, 19:51
Reverse Apache Master

I, for one, am glad that the FBI is all over these people trying to get their kids into college and not wasting their time on the bribery and public corruption in Washington, D.C.

Paying someone to fake some shit and bribe a guy to get your kid into a good school is WAY worse than a company paying a lobbyist to bribe a member of Congress to pass a law that benefits said company, who then kicks back a shitload of additional money from profits to the lobbyist and government official.

Getting your kid into college is heinous. Getting yourself into a cushy consulting/lobbying job or a seat on a board somewhere is pretty minor stuff comparatively.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 12 March 2019, 19:52
Been There Done That

But...on a good note, CNN just got hammered for 275 million. Pretty expensive drum solo. And the Covington School attorney is going after HBO and Bill Punk'in-head Maher, as well as Kathy Griffin.
Old 12 March 2019, 20:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
I, for one, am glad that the FBI is all over these people trying to get their kids into college and not wasting their time on the bribery and public corruption in Washington, D.C.

Paying someone to fake some shit and bribe a guy to get your kid into a good school is WAY worse than a company paying a lobbyist to bribe a member of Congress to pass a law that benefits said company, who then kicks back a shitload of additional money from profits to the lobbyist and government official.

Getting your kid into college is heinous. Getting yourself into a cushy consulting/lobbying job or a seat on a board somewhere is pretty minor stuff comparatively.
Both should not be tolerated or excused.

Prosecute.
Old 12 March 2019, 20:26
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
But...on a good note, CNN just got hammered for 275 million. Pretty expensive drum solo. And the Covington School attorney is going after HBO and Bill Punk'in-head Maher, as well as Kathy Griffin.
Where is the Pappy Van Winkle.....Ill drink to that!
Old 12 March 2019, 20:38
MAGA 2020

I’m on the same page as GPC and CTA...
Why/how is this illegal, and who the fuck would pay that much to get into a school... why not just pay tuition at a different school for less cost? Seems like a bunch of elite dumbasses to me, letting their pride spend their money. I say fuck it- let them. There are enough colleges to go around.
Old 12 March 2019, 20:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Im on the same page as GPC and CTA...
Why/how is this illegal, and who the fuck would pay that much to get into a school... why not just pay tuition at a different school for less cost? Seems like a bunch of elite dumbasses to me, letting their pride spend their money. I say fuck it- let them. There are enough colleges to go around.
some names of colleges carry more influence. Stanford was in the mix too, not just USC and Texas university-Austin.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 12 March 2019, 21:04
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
some names of colleges carry more influence. Stanford was in the mix too, not just USC and Texas university-Austin.
We are in total agreement. Our 16 year old Grandson just got a 1600 (perfect score) on his sat. He still might not make it it into one of the "Elite" Universities.
Old 12 March 2019, 21:05
Administrator

Waste of federal resources. I could care less who does what to get someone into a university/college and at most the local cops should be handling this, not the FBI.

Frankly those who attribute status to themselves over which higher ed institution they attend are laughable to me.
Old 12 March 2019, 23:09
MAGA 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
I suppose to some people they do; I’m not one of them. I suppose in some circles that influence may count for something, but I just don’t see much of that.

For instance, medical degrees, law degrees, etc.... doesn’t matter where you went. If you can pass the UMSMLE or Bar or what-have-you, you can get hired. Many of the big name bussinessmen, CEOs, and billionaires are college drop outs also.

In my opinion, a piece of paper with a fancy name doesn’t maketh the man. YMMV
Old 12 March 2019, 23:11
Authorized Personnel

No matter how hard I try, I can't even get a little mad at this travesty of justice much less care even a little bit.

The FBI can't investigate *real* crime because things don't meet their *threshold* but they can find the time to investigate this trash.

Yep...it's all about priorities....
Old 13 March 2019, 00:38
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
No matter how hard I try, I can't even get a little mad at this travesty of justice much less care even a little bit.

The FBI can't investigate *real* crime because things don't meet their *threshold* but they can find the time to investigate this trash.

Yep...it's all about priorities....
Of course it is, and right now the FBIs top priorities are to get some positive press for a change and to get the focus off recent incompetence in high places.

Today was about both, and it will play out for as long as it works.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 13 March 2019, 02:29
Confirmed User

I'm just wondering what "real" story this is providing a distraction for...that's the full extent of my caring about it.
Old 13 March 2019, 05:18
killjoy

This happens every day with affirmative action. But instead of being lucky enough to be born into money, it's being lucky enough to be born into a skin color or gender. Which one happens more often? All this focus on a mouse while there's an elephant in the room...
Old 13 March 2019, 05:46
Been There Done That

Some of you are acting like they shoukd get a blind pass, since there are more important things to concentrate on. No. Yes, I agree I wish LE would in investigate, arrest, and bring for prosecution with subsequent prison time many of the crimes/corruption mentioned. But, this does at least stop this wrong, sets an example. Cheating should not be tolerated.

Now academically many of these Ivy League schools are no better academically than other state schools. Just the name recognition and social networking one achieves. Many of these Ivy League schools have also become far left progressive institutions where free speech and conservative ideals are severely repressed and reprimanded.

Our new posting rules