SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 6 November 2019, 16:03
Supporterator

Dang, I maintained and then used radios for Uncle Sam and never knew those technical term meanings. Thanks.
Old 4 December 2019, 09:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
With less than the two hours it took you learn to use CHIRP you could easily study for and pass the Tech ham test...

Get the license, it opens many avenues for you
What avenues? Honest question.
Old 4 December 2019, 11:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
What avenues? Honest question.
The simplest way I know of to knock out the Tech ticket is to go to QRZ.com and use the Practice Exams page to memorize the answers...

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

You don't have to have a Call Sign or license to use it. You will have to register, but can use any login name you want and your email...

Registering gets you access to the practice exams and allows you to pick up where you left off in your last session.

Don't worry that you don't understand the answers you are memorizing, that will come later with time

The Test Pool is a finite set of questions that the FCC approves every so many years. So, every question that can be on the test is in the practice modules. It will show you the correct answer when you get it (multiple choice style test...).

After doing the Practice Exams a number of times - you'll recognize the correct answer each time it is presented.

Once you have that down - go take the test. If you can't find a testing session where you are located. let me know, and I'll find the local Ham group where you are -- but that is as simple as google and "Amature Radio Club (location, Zip)"...
Old 4 December 2019, 19:40
Confirmed User

That’s what I did. I actually tried to go to a ham class but showed up unbeknownst to me on the last day of four weekend class, so I went to the library for six hours took the practice tests till the exam happened and finished it in about five minutes. I still plan on upgrading my license when I get the time though.
Old 6 December 2019, 11:48
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Tech ticket
Sorry - meant more along the lines of what avenues does getting the ticket open up as opposed to not getting one?
Old 6 December 2019, 12:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Sorry - meant more along the lines of what avenues does getting the ticket open up as opposed to not getting one?
Oh, got you now...

With a Tech license you gain legal access to a broader slice of the RF spectrum. That's it in a nutshell... Without it, legally, you are stuck in the FRS/GRMS/CB spectrum. With it, you can begin to explore the HF spectrum and all the possibilities therein.

I use my access to HF primarily to improve my NVIS capability with my family within 0-400 nm. We have commo in layers now, from landline to internet to repeater linked VHF to HF... We're solid no matter what happens in the world.

A general License opens up more spectrum to you, but a Tech is sufficient, and they are about to open more spectrum to Tech level users in the next year or so...

You can, with a modem, essentially create your own mesh network for texting, etc...
Old 6 December 2019, 16:26
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Oh, got you now...

With a Tech license you gain legal access to a broader slice of the RF spectrum. That's it in a nutshell... Without it, legally, you are stuck in the FRS/GRMS/CB spectrum. With it, you can begin to explore the HF spectrum and all the possibilities therein.

I use my access to HF primarily to improve my NVIS capability with my family within 0-400 nm. We have commo in layers now, from landline to internet to repeater linked VHF to HF... We're solid no matter what happens in the world.

A general License opens up more spectrum to you, but a Tech is sufficient, and they are about to open more spectrum to Tech level users in the next year or so...

You can, with a modem, essentially create your own mesh network for texting, etc...
Rgr thanks.

PM probably inbound shortly
Old 6 December 2019, 21:58
been ***** **** that

This stuff has always intrigued me! Commo , techie geeks have always intrigued me and I have hung out with them since gradeschool, never understood the shit they preached , but I always picked them on my dodgeball team cuz nobody else would and they were my friends! Anyhoo, had a commo geek who did our SAR radios for Grand County , Co. His entire freaking house was commo shit. I could spend hours there , and not knowing shit when I left! I bought a couple of baofengs to start, am interested in studying for the test. Cool thread!
Old 7 December 2019, 08:01
Old Scroll

Hmmm... I've got a Yaesu FT-857D, big daddy power supply for it, and a whip with radials up on the roof, but I've never bothered to go get a license. I've never, not once, keyed up the handset, but rather have only tried (unsuccessfully) to hear what's going on out there. Bottom line is that I don't know what I'm doing, and need to study the books a bit.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 7 December 2019, 09:43
BTDT

Program in the 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter local repeaters, and you should start hearing stuff. Repeaterbook.com is good.

Too Funny, Has To Be My Sig For A While...

"FACT: School aged children are more likely to die from the influenza than from the COVID-19... but teachers unions are demanding schools stay shut until we de-fund the police"

Our new posting rules