SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 6 November 2019, 18:39
Confirmed User

Pretty Cool Story

A Chicago cop (SWAT team medic) was running a 15K in his full 50 pounds of gear. Below is what happened.

CHICAGO — Sunday was quite a busy day for Chicago Police SWAT Sgt. Mike Nowacki.
The 19-year CPD veteran and SWAT medic ran the Allstate Hot Chocolate 15K in 50 pounds of gear with the "crazy idea" to propose to his girlfriend, Officer Erin Gubala, when he saw her at finish line.

As he neared the end of the race, Nowacki said he was trying to think of something good to say when he popped the question. But then about 150 yards out he put his plans on hold to answer calls for help.
"I hear people screaming, 'medic, medic,'" Nowacki said during a press conference Monday. "Training kinda kicked in and I went towards a crowd of people around a female laying on the ground."
Nowacki said the woman was going through cardiac arrest, and had no pulse and was not breathing. He said he and a firefighter from Indiana jumped into action, doing chest compressions and radioing for EMS.

A member of CPD's bicycle unit, Gubala was actually at the finish line because she was working at the time. When runners informed emergency crews there someone had fallen nearby, she said she was concerned because it was hard to determine exactly where the person was through the "sea of people."
"That's when I heard his callsign come over the radio and heard him say he was administering CPR," Gubala said.
After paramedics with Superior Ambulance arrived, Nowacki said they gave the woman oxygen and put her on a backboard before loading her into the ambulance. Then he finished the race.
Since he was wearing full SWAT gear including his helmet, Gubala said she didn't even see him coming.
"Before I knew it he was running at me, crossing the finish line," she said. "He got down on one knee and I thought that he was hurt, and then he said, 'Erin, I don't know what to say,' and then I realized what was going on."
Nowacki said he went with a classic in the moment: "will you marry me?"
Gubala said she finally said yes when she realized what was going on, and they tried to hug even though it was hard to do so with all their equipment on.
"We were so far away from each other," she joked.
Nowacki described the whole event as "serendipitous."

"If I had run a little slower or a little faster, I would have never encountered the young lady," he said. "And [Gubala] had to say yes after that."The woman was taken to Northwester Memorial Hospital, where doctors said Nowacki's actions and the quick response by paramedics saved her life. She's expected to recover, although the cause of her cardiac arrest is unclear.

"As a police officer we go towards the sound of gunfire, and then as a SWAT medic we also have that instinct of going towards someone who's calling for a medic," Nowacki said.

Nowacki said he "went home and passed out," exhausted from the day's events and fielding calls from media. After she finished her shift, Gubala said they celebrated their engagement with a well-deserved rest and some Netflix.
Old 6 November 2019, 18:42
Skandalon

Good story with multiple happy endings....
Old 6 November 2019, 18:52
Animal Tamer

Talk about being at the right place at the right time.
Old 6 November 2019, 19:20
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Good story with multiple happy endings....
Well played... I see what you did there...

And damn good story.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 6 November 2019, 20:12
Did...did I do that?

Dude even had flowers ready somehow. Cool story.
Old 6 November 2019, 20:27
Red Headed Stepchild

Bad ass.
Old 6 November 2019, 20:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

Nice to see a positive Cop story.
Old 6 November 2019, 22:01
Been There Done That

Good story....

Glad it came out positive...
Old 6 November 2019, 23:03
Reverse Apache Master

A cop marrying a female cop, and you guys think it's going to turn out positively?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 7 November 2019, 09:24
I reckon so. . .

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
A cop marrying a female cop, and you guys think it's going to turn out positively?
Hey. . .It's not like they're Astronauts. . .LOL

COol Story!
Old 7 November 2019, 10:53
Confirmed User

That dude has to be in incredible shape, 15K = 9.3 miles with 50 pounds strapped to you. L
Old 7 November 2019, 12:35
Animal Tamer

Quote:
True. What they aren't telling us is that it's his 2nd and her 3rd and they have 5 kids between them, she was his FTO and her last ex is his SWAT Lieutenant.
Old 7 November 2019, 17:15
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
True. What they aren't telling us is that it's his 2nd and her 3rd and they have 5 kids between them, she was his FTO and her last ex is his SWAT Lieutenant.
Shudder....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 8 November 2019, 03:37
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Wife and I are still going strong after 15 years. But we left that agency very soon after getting together, which I think made a difference.

Good story too. Nice to see some positive LE stories.
Old 8 November 2019, 11:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
Jesus. After 25 years I can't say I have ever seen one police relationship work. And when they go south, they really go south, fast and hard.

Our new posting rules