Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 13 January 2017, 20:38
Confirmed User

essential products/chlorated byproducts

Just curious what the current stance is on nitrate/chlorated explosives and US mil doctrine. I know it might not be free to talk about.
but there is a anal/anfo chlorate mix that is currently being found in quite a few ISIS (daesh) IEDS. Is there a means of mass disposal for substances such as this? Is there a way to prevent chlorated fert mixtures from coming to market? It literally seems most IED we stumble upon are a anfo type or anal based explosive. Usually its all pulled & stockpiled for a controlled det but still they kill or wound many in the process.
Is a bip recommended for non military nitrate explosives or is it situational. As it seems the peshmerga almost always refuse to bip explosives and Instead try to disarm and collect (lots of casualties).
Old 13 January 2017, 20:45
Confirmed User

As a sidenote the IED engineers are quite good but it seems the anfo/anal chlorated mixes still causes issues. Is it possible to defuse or reduce reactivity with a nuetral substrate? As it seems most are nitrate based explosive compounds. Is there by chance a nuetralizer that can be used for such issues or is it a BiP/movement for such compounds as the norm for procedures?
Let me know if possible the best way to BiP or deactivate the nitrate based explosives. There's probably over 1 Ton nitrate explosives near Bashiqa alone so quick is best. I can send info via pm if need be before info is given on such issues.
thanks,
Redbull

Last edited by RedBull; 13 January 2017 at 21:08.
Old 13 January 2017, 21:19
Confirmed User

Also as far as sim-efp goes, is there a proper counter to it? As far as i know so far there isnt atleast when it comes to the Iraqi made multiple copper core ones. I ask because iraqi forces have found some copper core based IEDs. Albiet not been hit with yet. Only thing I can think of is multiple welded metal seemed plates with air gaps to stop or slow the projectile.
Old 19 January 2017, 19:22
Confirmed User

A base product apparently will or is supposed to neutralize AN products (haven't tested) according to the pms recieved.
As for EFP&Sim-EFP reactive & spaced armour is key apparently although still not fool proof.

A triple sim-efp depending on size will defeat reactive armor.

Our new posting rules