Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 25 February 2011, 11:09

Online Schools

I want to get a degree as a social worker. i have an AA already. Any online schools recomendations?? I will be using my GI bill money.
Old 25 February 2011, 11:37
Been There Done That

On-line schools are very expensive and many offer questionable programs.

If you still live in the DFW area as your profile states, I would look at either the UNT or the UTA programs for both the value and the recognized quality of the programs.

http://www.unt.edu/pais/insert/usowk.htm

http://www.uta.edu/ssw/

Richard
Old 25 February 2011, 13:07
Administrator

Do you mean on line schools or on line programs?
Old 25 February 2011, 16:07

Online programs

Looking for online programs
Old 25 February 2011, 16:32
Über Equus Asinus

I would agree that SOME online schools and SOME online programs are expensive, questionable, or both...

but...

When you consider that several Ivy League schools are already offering certificate programs, online classes as part of degree programs, and are gearing up for actual online degrees (many of these classes, programs, and degrees are offered at prices below the cost of attending the same at the brick and mortar campus).. its hard to lump all (or even most) online educational opportunities into one basket...

Harvard for example already offers NUMEROUS undergraduate and graduate programs online through their "extension" school.. Graduates are considered Harvard alumni, attend Harvard commencement.. and several people that have completed their online degrees have gone on to attend brick and mortar graduate programs at Harvard, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.. (the online degree carries the same value/weight as the traditional degree).. Harvard online undergraduate classess are about a grand each (not really that much more than the cost of classes at lessor schools).. Classes at some of the other Ivy league schools are considerably less expensive..

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

If you dont want to go Ivy League.. almost every state school I can think of offers multiple online degree programs these days as well.. normally at a similar cost to classes taken on campus..

no doubt you have to do your homework and make sure the school you want to attend has a good program, solid reputation in your field, is accredited, etc.. there are plenty of diploma mills out there..

but getting a real education, at an affordable rate, from a real school.. all online.. is a reality these days.. with almost every option available at a brick and mortar school now available in the "e" world... at a comparible cost..
Old 25 February 2011, 16:59
Confirmed User

Are you looking at a BASW or are you looking to bang out the undergrad degree anywhere/any major and then get into a MSW program?

Just FWIW, and YMMV, I've got a couple friends who are social workers (MSW) and they've both told me on a number of occasions that you're not going to go anywhere fast in the social work field in the NY/NJ/CT area without your Masters. Don't know how you'd fare elsewhere.

Something to think about.

There are a couple decent social work schools in NJ, but none that offer completly online degrees (on either a BA or MSW level). Rutgers has a decent brick-and-mortar program, and I'd think anything at Seton Hall or Georgian Court would be worth looking at.

I know that Rutgers offers a LOT of classes online that count toward on-campus degree programs even though you can't do the whole degree online. I'd expect that most schools make similar arrangements these days.

They're also very veteran friendly.

As a last thought, if you do the undergrad degree online you're probably looking at 2 years worth of work at a reasonable pace (could do it in one year if your really buckled down) before you get the BS/BA. That'll give more schools a chance to get their MSW programs up online, and I can't imagine that too many schools, especially state schools, are planning on forgoing indefinately the revenue that online programs are proving they're capable of generating.

Last edited by Soot; 25 February 2011 at 17:03.
Old 26 February 2011, 05:55
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciplepaul View Post
I want to get a degree as a social worker. i have an AA already. Any online schools recomendations?? I will be using my GI bill money.
Make sure that it is accredited by one of the 6 regional accrediting bodies. This is immensely important.

As you want to be a social worker, what did you have in mind? Bachelors level social work or MA and work as a MFT or LCSW?

Make sure the online school you choose has a system in place for an internship. MFT is about 2,000 hours, IIRC

I am happy here. I am at a campus, and not online however. YMMV.

I think another member of this board has attended and or has their degree from Chapman University. Brandman is part of the Chapman system.

http://brandman.edu/

http://brandman.edu/military/

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 26 February 2011 at 06:05.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:34
Been There Done That

After a stroke, my brother-in-law went into social work as a career to help other disabled workers. He's a good man with a big heart.

With that out of the way.... At times he regrets his choice to go into social work. He realizes now that he's but his family at an economic disadvantage. With a Master's hes never going to see much more than $40K per year..... its the nature of the work.

Are you ready to live with that? I personally would not put my dollars into schooling that is not going to give me a good financial return. But that's just me, I'm kinda selfish that way.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 26 February 2011, 20:50
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
With a Master's hes never going to see much more than $40K per year..... its the nature of the work.

Are you ready to live with that? I personally would not put my dollars into schooling that is not going to give me a good financial return. But that's just me, I'm kinda selfish that way.
My second child is pursuing the same field and will roll right into her MSW. As someone with a social science undergrad (Psych and Crim ) Fubar is correct, you have to feed your soul with the work because you will barely feed your family with the pay. My first job out of the Army leveraged this degree and I made more on employment than I did working 50-60 hours a week. In 1993, I made $587 every two weeks. But I did so love the work.

That said, your choice is noble and University of Phoenix offers several courses of action for Online degrees at the Undergrad and post graduate levels. Expensive, a little but I received my MS in Computer Information Systems and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 26 February 2011 at 20:56.
Old 3 March 2011, 04:49
Conquer Life.

With all due respect, I'd avoid University of Phoenix and any other school that shows up on the sidebar or spams your computer. They are not regionally accredited and the degree that you get will be worth neither the time nor effor that you put in. In addition, in order to receive BAH from the Post 9/11 MGIB, you would have to attend at least one class at a brick and mortar. They do this to ensure that you're not cheating the system. (i.e. living in Ohio and using a NY or CA mailing address to collect more $$$).

As stated above, almost all state schools will have online programs. Cal and UCLA are the top 2 public universities in the country and I know that they both offer a wide variety of online classes. Online classes are definitely here to stay and are viewed the same as any other class taken at the same school.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 3 March 2011, 18:35
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
With all due respect, I'd avoid University of Phoenix and any other school that shows up on the sidebar or spams your computer. They are not regionally accredited and the degree that you get will be worth neither the time nor effor that you put in.
Incorrect.

University of Phoenix is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association. - The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is an independent corporation and one of two commission members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), which is one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.

http://www.phoenix.edu/about_us/accreditation.html
http://www.ncahlc.org/#ncahlc.org
Old 3 March 2011, 18:58
Administrator

Balls,
You need to conduct better research. UofP is RA.

Thanks
Old 3 March 2011, 19:22
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Balls,
You need to conduct better research. UofP is RA.

Thanks
I'm sorry about that. I should have looked up UofP's accreditation before posting.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 2 November 2017, 15:15
Confronting the Reckoning

This seems like the most appropriate thread to put this into: I had reason to review a syllabus from the Univerity of Phoenix for work in my area of expertise, and thought I should pass on a giant CAUTION on this. Very not rigorous, easy breezy, and setting someone up for failure in upper division college coursework or graduate school. This was one syllabus in the humanities, and other syllabi might be more rigorous, but wow I was surprised. I'd not seen one before from Phoenix.
Old 15 November 2017, 19:59
Ungood

I transferred to WGU and feel like I am cheating. This school is exactly my style in that they test on competency, not busy-work assignments. I'm a month in and have already completed 30 CUs (yes, 10 courses). It's great for those of us that have real-world experience already.
Old 16 November 2017, 21:21
Authorized Personnel

Most of the big schools are now offering degree programs online. Strayer and many others are both accredited and recognized by the US DOE. The designation that you need to be most concerned about is the US Department of Education and then the accreditation. If it is regionally accredited, it is good to go. JWMI through Strayer is in the top 25 of all MBA programs, both brick and mortar and online. There is an excellent article online right now about their NPS rating program and how it makes for a better school.

http://winning.jwmi.com/ceo-magazine...-satisfaction/

Might be a good read for you. I know you need a specific program, but I am sure Strayer offers it.

CG
Old 16 November 2017, 22:04
Been There Done That

Based off the direction DoD and the VA seem to be going, I advise avoiding "for profit" schools, whether online or brick-and-mortar.
Old Yesterday, 12:50
Confirmed User

OPM has a partnership discount program for federal employees. Many of these schools may also provide similar discounts to veterans. It covers both online and brick/mortar.

https://www.opm.gov/wiki/training//O...-Partners.ashx

Similarly, Defense Acquisition University (DAU) maintains a list of partner schools.

https://www.dau.mil/partnerships/p/S...c-Partnerships

Neither of the above are guaranteed to be the best fit/quality for a diverse set of needs, however they should be all accredited and offer a good starting point while saving some money too. For example, Capella University on the DAU list was offering me a great tuition deal on a graduate hybrid program (federal employee and PMI member). I decided to go pure brick/mortar locally, but their offer was about half the cost and pretty appealing.
Old Yesterday, 16:42
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Based off the direction DoD and the VA seem to be going, I advise avoiding "for profit" schools, whether online or brick-and-mortar.
This! Why anyone would go to a FPS is beyond my comprehension. There is zero benefit as they are expensive and hold no credibility in the academic or corporate worlds. Furthermore, just about every reputable state or private universities/colleges have on-line programs. Finally, many of these FPS have either been sued or are currently under investigation by the GOV under the FCA law.

Our new posting rules