Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 13 October 2017, 12:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Brawl in Cell Block 99

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5657856/

I haven't seen it yet, but I've got it on hold. Sounds pretty good, Vince Vaughn as a guy who has been trying to live a regular life after having engaged in criminal behavior in the past, winds up getting tossed back in prison and has to carry out a hit for a gang leader or else his pregnant wife will be killed (a plot device we've seen before).

Only problem is, he's been assigned to the medium security wing of the prison and the guy he's supposed to whack is in the maximum security block, so essentially he has to fight his way out of the medium security wing and into increasingly tougher sections of the prison to get at his target.

Vince Vaughn isn't known for roles like this, but I think he'd be pretty good in it. I always thought he'd make a better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise, now I get to find out if I'm right, even though it's a different movie.

Maybe they can do a cross over movie in the future in which Vaughn's character in this flick crosses paths with Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher, see who comes out on top.
Old 13 October 2017, 15:28
Going cyclic!!

Yeah, VV can act. See him in Domestic Disturbance. He plays a bad guy in that. Good to see him getting a role, that isn't just another comedy.
Old 12 November 2017, 17:44
Confirmed User

Watched it on Amazon a few days ago, really enjoyed it, the movie is really a throw back to the 70’s vigilante type movies or like something John Carpenter would have made in the early 80’s. Very gritty movie with a dark tone to it, while not stupidly fake it does take a fair amount of suspension of belief with the maximum security prison part. It’s worth checking out
Old 13 November 2017, 18:23
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I like the premise that in order to carry out the task, he has to keep getting in more trouble in order to get deeper into the maximum security prison.

Instead of fighting his way out, he has to fight his way in.
Old 14 November 2017, 08:44
Genetically Deplorable

Meh. Watchable but if I had my choice of getting my money back, I'd take my money.
Old 14 November 2017, 09:07
do Mham

Vaughn did a great job in this movie. Departure from his typical roles. Pretty brutal and you can tell same folks that did Bone Tomahawk were part of this. He's a bid dude.
Old 14 November 2017, 09:32
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
Vaughn did a great job in this movie. Departure from his typical roles. Pretty brutal and you can tell same folks that did Bone Tomahawk were part of this. He's a bid dude.
Definitely brutal scenes.

He was in another movie years ago with Dwight Yoakam. He played a cowboy sort of ruthless type as I recall.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:41
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
Not just big, but STRONG! I've never known as human being that could rip the hood off a car, bare handed.

Our new posting rules