SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 16 February 2018, 19:57
Confirmed User

Old is new again, Vietnam Era Jungle Boot

The Jungle Boot is back, made by McRae footwear in Mt. Gilead NC just like your original ones were.

Price has gone up a bit. $126.95

As I recall I bought factory seconds for $25 at a little surplus store outside of Mt. Gilead in 1979. My brother still wears them.

https://www.mcraefootwear.com/produc...ngle-boot/7189
Old 16 February 2018, 20:46
Unemployed Stunt Double

I was issued "Vietnam" jungles when I got to 2/75, and mine can traditional eyelets. Those new one got that wrong.
Old 16 February 2018, 22:29
Sub Rosa

Do they have the steel sole shank? Try sitting in front of a campfire with a set of those old jungles on your feet while nestled up to the fire. Then stand to go take a piss.....
Old 17 February 2018, 07:34
Been There Done That

So many road marches in my old jungles the plate clicks back and forth. The steel plate in the snow will really get your attention. My brother still has the ones I gave him from 'Nam. Anything over $20 is gonna stay on the shelf for me.
Old 17 February 2018, 10:28
Authorized Personnel

The old green jungles were my favorite all-purpose boots. I managed to get away with wearing them all the way up to 2004 when the new suede boots for MARPAT were finally made mandatory.
Old 19 February 2018, 10:11
Confirmed User

I cut the steal shank out of mine the first month I had them, used them mostly in garrison and ruck marches. Wore them one time in the field and realized that you could feel every sharp stick and rock you steeped on.
Old 19 February 2018, 10:48
Confirmed User

I remember mine as being comfortable once they were well broken in and my feet were covered in calluses including on top..... They look like the same thing; lol I can just imagine the blisters people who are used to modern shoes are gonna get trying these...
Old 19 February 2018, 11:08
Confirmed User

I'll have to get my pair out of the closet and put a little polish on them. IIRC, one of the vents in the arch area is missing its little metal eyelet, but I think they're in fairly decent shape for being so old. Issued Jan 1968, so not just VN era. Forensic science could probably ID some pollen peculiar to the place . . . and some lingering Orange, White and other agents. When I get the "thank-you-for-your-service," I can tell the person to thank my boots, too.
Old 19 February 2018, 11:56
Did...did I do that?

I bought a pair when I was in Germany (MP in the 80s); a couple of NCOs chewed me out saying I wasn't in the jungle. Finally sold them around 2002 or so.
Old 19 February 2018, 14:02
Never to old to learn

The Jungle Boot is back, from what I have read, that the current Boot is falling apart in South America, due to the weather an getting wet. Have not heard or read any thing more about it.
Old 19 February 2018, 14:53
A/1/75

I still have a green and black set.

Charlie
Old 19 February 2018, 16:15
Conformed User

I wore green with sawtooth soles. Still have them.

One of my best days of RS was after the roadmarch to the MOUT site. The roadmarch failures were off to the side getting booted, and a few were tossing gear into a nearby dumpster. One guy was tossing a pair of worn in black jungles with sneaker soles and leather so soft they were like socks (no toe/heel caps, no steel shank).

I took them and tossed them in my ruck. They were my patrol base boots - comfortable like an old pair of slippers.
Old 19 February 2018, 21:59
Been There Done That

none of the greens I managed to keep and not DX are worth wearing. I have a pair of blacks that are still spit shined (for spits and starches). I can't remember the last time I wore them, but it had to have been in the 90s, likely.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 February 2018, 13:12
Been There Done That

I still have several pair of my issued OD green boots and wear them regularly. I have replaced the laces with 550.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 20 February 2018, 13:53
Confirmed User

We have had an open terrain desert warfare mentality since the Gulf war and most of our gear to include the foot wear has gone that way as well, of course all of that will change the first time we engage in a long term conflict in SE Asia or Central America again.

I will say that both version of boots the Marine Cops went to in the early 2000's suck when wet and are hot as shit in humid conditions.
Old 20 February 2018, 15:29
Confirmed User

I loved my jungle boots. I would wear them will wading the intracoastal fishing and the salt just ate them up - should have hosed them off more often.
Old 20 February 2018, 16:30
Been There Done That

Had two sets of jungles, one set for the field and road marches--broke in and felt really good on the feet, the other set was for starches and spits only, usually felt like you were walking around with 2X4's strapped to your feet--but damn they looked good with razor starched OG 107's and the black beret (back when you earned the black instead of it being issued )
Old 20 February 2018, 17:27
0311/8651

I wonder if that steel shank help save my right foot?
Old 20 February 2018, 21:17
Been There Done That

Still have my last old pair that carried me all over II Corps. Scuffed but serviceable.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 20 February 2018, 22:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I was issued "Vietnam" jungles when I got to 2/75, and mine can traditional eyelets. Those new one got that wrong.
I still have 2pr of the originals and a couple when they changed to speed laces. Never liked the speed laces as much as the eyelets.

Our new posting rules