SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 May 2015, 11:37
Been There Done That

America’s oldest World War II Vet is turning 109, still smokes 12 cigars a day

A sincere tip of my hat to Richard Overton! I dream of making to that age with his badass attitude..... inspiring!

http://www.wearethemighty.com/richar...cigars-2015-05

America’s oldest World War II veteran is turning 109, and he still smokes 12 cigars a day

America’s oldest-living veteran is on the cusp of turning 109 years old, and he still smokes 12 cigars a day.

Richard Overton, an Army veteran of World War II now living in Austin, Texas, still enjoys his whiskey too.

Although Overton does not turn 109 until May 11, his Austin neighborhood threw him an early birthday party on May 3, consisting of burgers, milkshakes, and of course cigars.

“I smoke at least 12 Tampa Sweet cigars a day,” Overton told The Wall Street Journal.

“I’ve been smoking cigars since I was 18 years old,” he added to ABC. “I have over $100 worth of cigars now.”

A celebrity in his own right, Overton had a long line of well-wishers attend his “Mighty Fine at 109″-themed celebration. Among the guests was the mayor of Austin, Steve Adler.

“You are just one of the treasures that we have in this city,” Adler told Overton during the celebrations.

Born May 11, 1906, Overton is believed to be the oldest-living veteran, although it is impossible to verify because not all veterans are registered with the Department of Veterans Affairs. He served in the South Pacific during the war before selling furniture in Austin after his discharge and later working in the state Treasurer’s Office, according to The Chronicle.

“I’ve gotten so many letters and so many thank yous and I enjoy every bit of it, but I’m still going to enjoy some more,” Overton told The Chronicle.

Mr. Richard Overton, the oldest living veteran. Kids, do not play on his lawn. pic.twitter.com/VQ0twXRdi1

— Patrick Chovanec (@prchovanec) November 10, 2014
The Houston Chronicle described Overton’s lifestyle in November 2013: “He drives and walks without a cane. During a television interview in March, he told a reporter that he doesn’t take medicine, smokes cigars every day and takes whiskey in his morning coffee. The key to living to his age, he said, is simply ‘staying out of trouble.'”

“I may drink a little in the evening too with some soda water, but that’s it,” Overton told Fox News. “Whiskey’s a good medicine. It keeps your muscles tender.”

Overton admits that he doesn’t truly know what to credit with his long life. “You have to ask God about that. He brought me here and he’s taking care of me, and nothing I can do about it,” Overton told the Post.

However, his neighbors have a few ideas of their own as to how Overton keeps chugging along.

“Whiskey and cigars and never stop moving,” a neighbor told Fox affiliate KTBC. Bold/Underline/Italic added by impressed SATCOM

In addition to his somewhat unorthodox habits, Overton stays busy throughout the day — trimming trees, helping with horses, and never watches television, according to Fox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg veteran-ww2-Copy.jpg (37.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 8 May 2015, 13:41
Un-confirmed User

F...in' - A!!!!
Old 8 May 2015, 14:03
Confirmed User

He looks like a fun guy to sit down with, have a few whiskys and listen to his stories.Just thinking about the things he has seen in his life is interesting.
Old 8 May 2015, 16:11
Confirmed User

Shit, I'll tell you why he's lived so long. Says right there at the end. Never watches TV. Which means he's active and his mind isn't turning to mush like so many others. What a stud. Wish I lived in TX so I could sit down to a whiskey or 2 with him
Old 8 May 2015, 19:34
Been There Done That

So drink a little whiskey every day, some some cigars everyday, don't watch TV and keep active. Seems like good advice to me.

Too bad though the ATF is going to come after his ass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27 December 2018, 22:56
Been There Done That

Mr Overton passed today at 112. What a life. Rest in Peace sir, I will tip my glass to tomorrow.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/12/27/...-overton-dies/
Old 27 December 2018, 23:09
Confirmed User

Godspeed, Mr. Overton.
Definitely fits the definition of "they don't make 'em like that anymore."

I will raise a glass and light a cigar in your honor tonight, Sir.
Old 27 December 2018, 23:20
BTDT

May He Rest In Eternal Peace and Honor.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 28 December 2018, 03:11
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Cheers, Mr. Overton. Rest easy.
Old 28 December 2018, 09:21
Authorized Personnel

RIP sir. Thank you for your service and for the example you set for us.
Old 28 December 2018, 10:01
Been There Done That

Well, if he would have stopped smoking he may have made it to

Rest In Peace warrior.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 28 December 2018, 10:29
Going cyclic!!

RIP Sir. You are my hero.
America needs more men like you.
Old 1 January 2019, 23:25
Confronting the Reckoning

To Mr. Overton.
Old 1 January 2019, 23:47
Problem Solver

Rest in peace, Mr. Overton; you were a true warrior who endured both at home and abroad...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 2 January 2019, 13:33
Did...did I do that?

His funeral is 12 Jan in Austin, and they're asking for donations to Honor Flight Austin.

Google Street View passed by his house back in June. Mr. Overton will always be on his porch.

Our new posting rules