SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 May 2018, 13:48

Well they're not all bad. $50 says it gets shot by SWAT within the year.....

Old 22 May 2018, 16:02
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
I had an American Staffordshire Terrier. Since I hate mutilating dogs for the sake of the look, mine had nothing cut. And it still was misidentified as a pit bull. Like, almost 100% of the time. Including bunch of girls crying from fear in the park after it sneezed at them (the dog was allergic to floral dust). I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, as in this regard I have much less knowledge about statistics as you do - however there's still a risk of misidentification.
Hard to fault that ID, as the AmStaff is one of 4-6 specific breeds that are legitimately considered pit bulls.
Old 22 May 2018, 16:22
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Come on, amstaffs are not evil pit bulls!
Old 22 May 2018, 17:21
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Come on, amstaffs are not evil pit bulls!
Never said they were evil. Either of them.
Old 22 May 2018, 20:48
Policeman Officer

I'm happy to report my dogs have extended their lifetime streak of no murders. Additionally, the stray pit I scooped off the street the other day is back home with his family.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 May 2018, 21:52
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've met a lot of pit bulls over the course of my lifetime, and I've never met one that isn't well socialized and friendly.

Not to say that there aren't mean and ornery pits out there, but that is more a function of how they were raised and/or treated. Somebody can take any breed of dog, any size, and if it isn't socialized properly and treated correctly will turn into a menace.

One of my neighbors has two dogs, Storm a pit bull and Choral, an English bulldog. Both are good dogs, but Storm is amazing. Whenever I approach his tail is going a mile a minute and he is always happy to see me. He's that way with pretty much everybody, as is Choral.

Interestingly, only Storm can go the the local dog park. Choral, the purebred bulldog, does not get along with other canines, other than Storm. Storm is as good with other dogs as with people.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:51
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm happy to report my dogs have extended their lifetime streak of no murders. Additionally, the stray pit I scooped off the street the other day is back home with his family.
Now that shit is funny MG. Man I laughed pretty hard. Thank you for that

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 10 June 2018, 22:08
Authorized Personnel

Since Pits get a lot of bad press, I figured I would put an article with some good press for once!

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...212886564.html
Old 10 June 2018, 22:52
Policeman Officer

Just playing the long con.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 28 September 2018, 12:06
Been There Done That

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/09...port-says.html

Police Chief killed over pit bull ban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 September 2018, 12:14
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

...Police Chief killed over pit bull ban...
There are dog-lovers and then there's this guy. Dude definitely went all-in.

Anyway, fuck him; rest in peace, Chief...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 29 October 2018, 17:39
Swimming Upstream

RIP baby

Local news: https://abc11.com/pets-animals/edgecombe-county-1-year-old-clings-to-life-after-family-dog-attacks-her/4547754/

She didn't make it.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 29 October 2018, 17:46
Swimming Upstream

Ugh, can you imagine? Just one of five news articles today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/dog-that-was-attacked-by-five-mixed-breed-pit-bulls-in-rockville-area-has-died/2018/10/22/66d2dea6-d612-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a7ce34ec15a2
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 29 October 2018, 17:55
True Origin Not Known

Oh well . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Local news: https://abc11.com/pets-animals/edgecombe-county-1-year-old-clings-to-life-after-family-dog-attacks-her/4547754/
She didn't make it.
"Somebody can take any breed of dog, any size, and if it isn't socialized properly and treated correctly will turn into a menace" So do our apologists believe THIS dog was not "socialized properly and treated correctly"? Just wondering.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 29 October 2018, 18:31
Policeman Officer

Yes, that's exactly what I believe. And was it a pit bull, or a "pit bull mix"?

Old 29 October 2018, 19:39
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
"Somebody can take any breed of dog, any size, and if it isn't socialized properly and treated correctly will turn into a menace" So do our apologists believe THIS dog was not "socialized properly and treated correctly"? Just wondering.
Who's to say? The article didn't go into any detail about the dog's history, nor was there any mention about whether the mother had left the child unattended in the company of the dog. A child left alone with a dog, any dog, is a recipe for disaster.

I stand by what I posted. Dogs on occasion attack people, including children. Without knowing more about the dog's history, as well as the circumstances of the attack, it's impossible to pinpoint a reason.
Old 29 October 2018, 20:53
Policeman Officer

At the top of this page is the last episode of pearl clutching over deadly pitbulls that turned out to be a whole lot different than the initial story. Mine still haven't killed me or my family. I'm using one for an elbow rest right now.

Old 29 October 2018, 20:54
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
Our friend recently adopted two horribly abused pits that were seized from a waste of skin that used to fight them. The male she sent back for all the reasons you can imagine. The female she kept, and despite being used as a bait dog and other horrific shit she is one of the sweetest dogs Iíve ever been around. Itís our friendís third rescue pit. The first, a completely scary looking female, would run and hide under the covers in our friends bedroom whenever we came over.

Not generalizing. Every individual dog is different. I would be interested in seeing some data on how many of these attacks happened completely out of the blue to people that had owned the dog for more than a couple weeks. If your dog has aggressive tendencies, that is not something thatís just every once in a while. Iím not a big enough dog lover to advocate that dangerous dogs should remain in the gene pool. I believe in most cases the owner knew about their dogís tendency toward aggressiveness prior to the attack but failed to act on it.
Old 30 October 2018, 01:14
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:

Yasmin Adam got her "gentle" pet, named Sir Hinkles, as a puppy and he was a loving companion until recently, when she broke up "a play fight" between the pit pull and her two other dogs.
I don't care what the breed is...you stick your arm in between "play fighting" dogs, and you WILL get bitten. Darwin award right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
It's always a pit bull. They're the only breed that bites people.
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but pit bulls are the "assault rifle" of the dog world.

Quote:
In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'm going with what the police reports and the CDC says.
As a former cop that attended god-knows how many dog attacks/fights etc, I can assure you that Police stats are notoriously inaccurate, even when the powers-that-be aren't manipulating the stats to skew crime reports. And where do you think the CDC gets its information from?

Off the top of my head, I would estimate that EVERY call I attended involving a dog attack/fight was called in as a pit bull...and never was. And some weren't even remotely close...one was a Pomeranian!

Quote:
I had an American Staffordshire Terrier. Since I hate mutilating dogs for the sake of the look, mine had nothing cut. And it still was misidentified as a pit bull.
And here I was thinking that the AmStaff was a Pit Bull. Seriously so. But after some research, now I'm just not sure!

Peer-reviewed article outlining that Pit Bulls are NOT as dangerous as believed:

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/LiteratureReviews/Pages/The-Role-of-Breed-in-Dog-Bite-Risk-and-Prevention.aspx

Quote:
Owners of pit bull-type dogs deal with a strong breed stigma, however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a "breed" encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified. Visual determination of dog breed is known to not always be reliable. And witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a vicious dog is of this type.
This study shows that dog breed labels are up to to 70% inaccurate and that even DNA is not 100% accurate for assessing breed - https://web.archive.org/web/20160730113853/http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/breed-identification-1/

Another study on misidentification of pit bulls - https://www.maddiesfund.org/Documents/Resource%20Library/Incorrect%20Breed%20Identification%20Study%20Poste r.pdf

As for owners and training etc. I have 2 young kids. We have a Staffordshire Terrier. It has the potential to rip their throats out. And I know that. I also know that EVERY dog has the same potential.

When we got her as a pup, the wife and I ensured that she (the dog) was trained properly at a formal and reputable dog training school. I also ensure that I play-fight with her (the dog) more roughly than our kids are capable of, even to the point of sticking my hand in her mouth when play-fighting to assess how she reacts.

But that's not all...I even ensure that our kids give her (the dog) commands and I watch very damn closely to assess the dog's behavior around our kids. It's a very loving dog, and our kids love her, but my eyes are constantly wide open to that dog's behavior. Dog's need to be conditioned. Dog's need to understand their place in "the pack".

If you don't understand the above, then you are inviting tragedy.

I was explaining to my kids today that people are stupid, and it's a result of that stupidity that causes a lot of problems and tragedies. Dog ownership is just as susceptible to this stupidity as any other aspect of life.

As for calling for a ban/cull of an entire dog breed, that is formally known as being usually misidentified....I would put that in the same basket as insisting on a ban on all "assault rifles". And I use that term specifically.

Don't want one? Don't get one.
Want to own one? Be fucking responsible with it, just as with everything else. (Except pepper spray. Pepper spray is funny.)
Old 30 October 2018, 04:07
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Who's to say? The article didn't go into any detail
We almost never get information about whether the family was a good or bad pet owner.

Our new posting rules