SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 May 2018, 13:48

Well they're not all bad. $50 says it gets shot by SWAT within the year.....

Old 22 May 2018, 16:02
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
I had an American Staffordshire Terrier. Since I hate mutilating dogs for the sake of the look, mine had nothing cut. And it still was misidentified as a pit bull. Like, almost 100% of the time. Including bunch of girls crying from fear in the park after it sneezed at them (the dog was allergic to floral dust). I'm not trying to say that you are wrong, as in this regard I have much less knowledge about statistics as you do - however there's still a risk of misidentification.
Hard to fault that ID, as the AmStaff is one of 4-6 specific breeds that are legitimately considered pit bulls.
Old 22 May 2018, 16:22
I am Johan

Come on, amstaffs are not evil pit bulls!
Old 22 May 2018, 17:21
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Come on, amstaffs are not evil pit bulls!
Never said they were evil. Either of them.
Old 22 May 2018, 20:48
Policeman Officer

I'm happy to report my dogs have extended their lifetime streak of no murders. Additionally, the stray pit I scooped off the street the other day is back home with his family.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 May 2018, 21:52
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I've met a lot of pit bulls over the course of my lifetime, and I've never met one that isn't well socialized and friendly.

Not to say that there aren't mean and ornery pits out there, but that is more a function of how they were raised and/or treated. Somebody can take any breed of dog, any size, and if it isn't socialized properly and treated correctly will turn into a menace.

One of my neighbors has two dogs, Storm a pit bull and Choral, an English bulldog. Both are good dogs, but Storm is amazing. Whenever I approach his tail is going a mile a minute and he is always happy to see me. He's that way with pretty much everybody, as is Choral.

Interestingly, only Storm can go the the local dog park. Choral, the purebred bulldog, does not get along with other canines, other than Storm. Storm is as good with other dogs as with people.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:51
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm happy to report my dogs have extended their lifetime streak of no murders. Additionally, the stray pit I scooped off the street the other day is back home with his family.
Now that shit is funny MG. Man I laughed pretty hard. Thank you for that

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 10 June 2018, 22:08
Authorized Personnel

Since Pits get a lot of bad press, I figured I would put an article with some good press for once!

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...212886564.html
A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions. -- Castaneda
Old 10 June 2018, 22:52
Policeman Officer

Just playing the long con.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules