SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 December 2017, 10:52
I am Johan

Quote:
I find it kind of ironic that some who are pro pit bull also believe ok to ban all immigrant/muslims from some select countries to be safe
I am not pro pitbull. I had only two pitbulls and they were great, and as I said before this does not mean they are any representation of the breed in general. Pitbulls do not bomb people or drive into crowd or support ISIS or rape our women. I am biased towards dachshunds and wish they were nuked from orbit, so there

Quote:
Those of you with small children, would you want a neighbor that owns a pit bull or a Irish setter/beagle/Boston terrier/etc..
I actually completely agree with you that the scale of a threat a small dog represents vs that of a pitbull is the problem. Small dog will rip your jeans and puncture skin. Pitbull will rip parts of your leg off.

But...that can be said about all large dogs?

My thoughts are as follows: What if we ban dog breeds or strictly enforce their ownership. Will that prevent bad people for getting hands on them or prevent good people from making mistakes with them when they legally have them? What if your loving and caring dog suddenly becomes a monster from hell? I do think that all animals are unpredictable. Not only the large, fighting breeds. So even if we control the ownership, ther might be that one rotten apple in the basket that will kill or injure someone. Long story short, you can never be sure of anything if you own an animal, large or small. That's how I see it.

I also wrote earlier in this thread that I'm a dog person and I'm biased, if only a bit (okay, a lot)

Last edited by Paul85; 19 December 2017 at 10:57.
Old 19 December 2017, 10:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I am done, enjoy your pit bull, hope you have good insurance.
Straw man argument.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:04
Confirmed User

I think some of the problems with Pit bulls in general is that the breeders have selected aggressive tendency's to breed. You can't place the blame on a dog acting in its nature. But you won't be getting any sympathy from me if you buy a dog known for being aggressive and that dog shockingly attacks someone.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe30045 View Post
... I incorrectly read the wagging tail as a sign of friendliness, .....
As somebody told me ages ago "A dog wagging his tail does not mean he's friendly - just that he enjoys his work."
Old 19 December 2017, 11:11
I am Johan

I understand Leopardprey. There are no pacts between Leopards and pitbulls. (I must stop quoting movies, Troy wasn't that great to begin with)
I get the problem with regulating the breed. This issue is floating around for quite some time. The real issue is, I don't think that banning pitbulls will prevent dog attacks. Maybe from pitbulls (but you'd have to scour the Earth to eliminate every male and female so no one anywhere tries to breed them again). But the problem at hand? IMO it will not go away.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:41
Confirmed User

This call to ban a specific breed of dogs is not new, and this concern over pit bulls will pass, too. In the 70s, Doberman Pinschers were the most evil breed in history, then German Shepherds....

And there is zero evidence that banning dogs lowers instances of bites: LINK

Quote:
More to the point, there’s just not much evidence that prohibiting certain breeds cuts down on bites. Binkowski, for example, notes that since Ireland banned 11 breeds in 1998, dog bites in the country have risen by 50 percent, a huge increase even after adjusting for the country’s increase in population over that period. When the province of Ontario banned new ownership of “pit bull”-type dogs in 2005, the frequency of dog bites didn’t change in its capital, Toronto — only the breeds that did the most biting. That’s a pretty good indication that serious dog bites are more the product of bad owners than of bad breeds.

A counterargument you’ll often hear is that while breed-specific bans may not affect the overall number of bites, they could reduce the severity, given that the dogs commonly called pit bulls are bred to have unusually strong jaws. But as Binkowski points out, seven years after a pit bull ban in Sioux City, Iowa, in 2008, not only did the overall number of overall of bites go up, the severity of bites remained unchanged. Binkowski writes:
This pattern is repeated everywhere that breed bans have been enacted and enforced, or at least places [where] records of bites are kept. Initially, the number of dog bites do often go down, mostly because owners move, give up their pets, or have their dogs impounded or euthanized. Then (as people get dogs to replace the pets they had to give up or put down) the number of attacks levels off and then begins to rise, possibly because the breed ban creates a false sense of security: Certain breeds are banned because they are dangerous; I don’t own a dangerous breed, therefore my dog won’t hurt anybody.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:49
Been There Done That

It seams that every decade ushers in arguments against a dog breed.

At one point it was Doberman Pinschers then it switched to Rottweilers now Pit Bulls.

I wouldn't own one but I think that it is more of a numbers game coupled with the type of owner than it is about aggressive genetic traits.

My Chessie is a handful, we knew that when we selected the breed that we would have to begin training and socialization on day 1. The same can be said for GSDs or any other working breed.
Old 19 December 2017, 11:51
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
http://www.nbc12.com/story/37093192/...g-her-to-death

Investigators are also giving insight in the state of the dogs prior to Stephens' death.

"The dogs were a little bit neglected towards the end," says Sergeant Mike Blackwood.

He says the dogs were staying on the father's property, but Stephens did not live there full time. He says the animals were kept outside in the cold.

"She would come home maybe five times to her father's house a week on average and take the dogs out," says Blackwood. "And they became more isolated where the only contact they had was with each other and it was less and less human contact."

People are disgusting.
Didn't just maul her, but killed and ATE her. That's pretty fucked up.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 19 December 2017, 12:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Those of you with small children, would you want a neighbor that owns a pit bull or a Irish setter/beagle/Boston terrier/etc..?
I believe that I posted this in another thread some time ago but: I had a next door neighbor with two smaller kids on one side and another neighbor on the other side who also had kids and had a pair of Pit bulls. These dogs were kept outside (Florida is hot) year round, on heavy chains and no access to shade. Truly asshole owners who were despised by all. Somehow the dogs were in the front yard, with the dog owners kids and the other kids came over, small girl got over one hundred stitches in her face. Dog owner never offered anything, to include an apology. The now woman still has very noticeable scaring.

On several occasions, the dogs would get loose. I called the SO every time. One time the dogs had two officers standing on the top of their car, while it was sorta funny, if it had been me I'd of shot both dogs. My wife would not go outside when they got out, as she didn't think she would of been able to get a good enough hit on the dogs with her small caliber hand gun.

Those neighbors are long gone, new neighbors are asshole too, but have no pets.
Old 19 December 2017, 13:57
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
There is no difference between wanting to ban specific dog breeds for perceived danger and wanting to ban guns due to the perceived danger.
How about a question like this instead:

Is there a difference in banning ownership of Pit Bulls vs. banning ownership of Wolves, Coyotes, Jackals, Hyenas, Foxes, or Dingos?
Old 19 December 2017, 14:13
Authorized Personnel

My wife, son and dog were attacked by two pit bulls resulting in medical, vet bills, and multiple misdemeanors. Not a fan one bit. It's still traumatic to this day.
Old 19 December 2017, 14:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Please don't miss my point...I am not speaking of articles written for or against Pit Bulls. I am strictly referring to daily news reports on attacks by dogs. It's an easy thing to put up a Google News alert for any topic you care to follow and every time a news report for that item is published, it shows up in your feed.

I did that with dog attacks and it was eye opening

I agree that Dachsunds are assholes...the difference is they can be punted across the room. A Pit with it's sheer strength and weight is fully capable of killing a human and I've counted ten deaths this year in the US alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2017
Well, shit....11 deaths out of hundreds of thousands of dogs?

We definitely need to get rid of them all.

This thread is based off of emotions very similar to the geniuses who think we need to get rid of sharks.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 December 2017, 14:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
There is no difference between wanting to ban specific dog breeds for perceived danger and wanting to ban guns due to the perceived danger.
A gun isn't going to dig a hole under your fence and then go attack some random person. A gun isn't going to just bust loose from its holster and attack the neighbors glock. A gun isn't going to rip out your toddlers throat if he gets too close to the food bowl.

A gun is a tool. A dog is an animal with a brain, emotions, and cunning. You can't seriously put guns and dogs in the same argument.
Old 19 December 2017, 14:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
A gun isn't going to dig a hole under your fence and then go attack some random person. A gun isn't going to just bust loose from its holster and attack the neighbors glock. A gun isn't going to rip out your toddlers throat if he gets too close to the food bowl.

A gun is a tool. A dog is an animal with a brain, emotions, and cunning. You can't seriously put guns and dogs in the same argument.
Yeah but then your kid grabs the gun and smokes his sibling because they defeated your controls.

The commonality isn't execution in this thread - it's fear and lack of control.

Old 19 December 2017, 14:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Yeah but then your kid grabs the gun and smokes his sibling because they defeated your controls.
What are you saying? That we should ban kids?
Old 19 December 2017, 15:04
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
What are you saying? That we should ban kids?
Kids, guns, pets, showers, cars, carbs, fats, meat, tobacco, alcohol, religion...did I miss anything that can get you killed?

Old 19 December 2017, 15:14
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Kids, guns, pets, showers, cars, carbs, fats, meat, tobacco, alcohol, religion...did I miss anything that can get you killed?
stairs
Old 19 December 2017, 15:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Political correctness.... clowns...asking the wife for a 3 some with her hot best friend Hypothetically speaking of course. .
Old 19 December 2017, 15:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Buckets (just the full ones), and rain puddles.
Old 19 December 2017, 15:27
Confirmed User

I have to go work on the gutters here in a minute. Could be my last post, ever!

Our new posting rules