SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 August 2015, 14:27
Puttin' on the foil

The SOCNET Motorcycle Thread

I'm in the beginning stages of looking at cruiser style motorcycles and looking for some advice. I know look fit and how it feels to sit on certain bikes is personal opinion and can differ between riders of different height and weight.

There is a guy who rides a very large Harley at my work and I started to ask him some questions about why he chose that bike and mentioned I liked the look of the Harley Davidson Sportster Iron 883 and he immediately told me it was a bike for women and pussies who can't ride a real bike, whatever that means. So with that attitude I'm no longer interested in talking to him. I've owned three bikes since 2006, all of them being sportbikes so the cruiser world is new to me. So far though it looks like the Honda Shadow and Sportster 883 or SuperLow have the style I am drawn to but I'm open to any suggestions as to other makes that I should look at. I'm not buying new if that makes a difference.

I'm a novice mechanic at best and have only ever done oil changes and brakes on my bikes in the past but am willing to learn and can follow a youtube how-to video. I also don't need a ton of power but being able to pass at highway speeds without having to wring it's neck would be nice.
Old 27 August 2015, 14:34
Been There Done That

Check out:

Indian
Victory
Triumph

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bi...ories/cruisers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27 August 2015, 14:53
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

First HD I owned was a 883 Sportster, also the bike I most enjoyed. It has so many customizing opportunities, and you can take it in a bunch of directions without replicating anyone and without spending "too much" money. I don't presume to know what "too much" means, though.

I also did a lot of the work on my Sportster myself -- the carb/breather/exhaust mods being the easiest and the most fun.

I'll likely buy another Sportster if I stay in Mexico another year.

I currently have a somewhat heavily mod'd 2000 NightTrain, with my avatar on the rear fender -- I like it, but it still isn't as fun as my Sportster was....
Old 27 August 2015, 14:53
Authorized Personnel

I had three Sportsters - hardly a girly bike. But they are not your best bet if you're looking for a cruiser, as they tend to be very rough-edged. My last Harley was a Low Rider, and it was an infinitely better bike. Better engine, better ride, better handling, better everything. Not too big, or costly, and a very easy riding machine. I owned a GSXR-600 at the same time, and enjoyed them both.
Old 27 August 2015, 14:55
On the Extract Bird

Don't go with a 883, you will regret it. If you want HD Heritage Softails are great, as well as Road and Street Glides. It really depends on your riding style and how many miles you put on. As stated above there are some other great companies to look at too.

If you get an 883 you won't be able to keep up with anyone and will be sore as hell after any miles. Fatboys are reliable too, but I would say Glide thru and thru, that's my next bike.
Old 27 August 2015, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic68whiskey
Don't go with a 883, you will regret it....If you get an 883 you won't be able to keep up with anyone and will be sore as hell after any miles....
I obviously disagree with this statement, especially as it doesn't take into consideration different riding styles and locations. If you are riding around in town, that is vastly different than on the open highway. And since everything except a bagger is likely going to mean your ass will be sore (especially if you go for the "low" look), the ass comment is irrelevant. If the easy mods at HP increases for your 883 don't do it for you, it is ridiculously simple to turn that ride into a 1200. Oh -- is "that" too slow? LOL.

FWIW, I don't ride with people -- largely because I don't like them. So "keeping up with people" has never been a high priority for me, especially on something that if I drop it at high speeds, is going to fucking hurt A LOT....
Old 27 August 2015, 15:02
Isiah 53

Once you have decided on price range, I would go and sit on and test drive if possible. Comfort is a huge favor on bikes. I ride the 2010 Fatboy Lo. Low center of gravity for short legged fellas like me. I would let comfort be your primary guide so sitting on different bikes and test riding will help alot. The bikes already mentioned are good choices also. But how it feels underneath you will guide your decision

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 27 August 2015, 15:22
On the Extract Bird

I've had a Road King for many years and would not recommend anything other an a HD for a cruiser or "bagger". I think if you went with Indian or Triumph you would eventually want a Harley, just my opinion and no offense to lovers of those fine bikes. As for Victory, I just cannot get my head around a cruiser made by a snowmobile company. A trail bike maybe. Again, JMPO.

The Sportster is also an excellent choice regardless of what Whiskey says, because they are inexpensive (as HD's go) and versatile. Not to mention, today's 883 Iron is "not your father's 883". The Evolution engine is very good.

I would also recommend buying used.

Enjoy.
Old 27 August 2015, 15:22
Confirmed User

The current sportster offeringd from Harley are pretty impressive bikes. Whoever it was that simply stated not to buy an 883 is leaving out a good deal of information. The 883 engine has been around along time, from the carburated four speed, carb'd five speed, injected five speed and the current injected and rubber mounted five speed. Huge variance.

Sportsters are quick bikes and are used allot in various motorsports. Definately not a chick bike although many women to ride them because of their smaller size.

The current sportsters are very rifined, ultra reliable and incredibly smooth. Their small gas tanks and sport gearing will limit their range on a tank of gas but will be allot of fun around town.

As for working on it. Aside form oil changes there is not much to do them. Like cars, they are computerized. Unlike the bikes of not tool long ago, the late model bikes are very oil tight and for the most part maintenance free.

Buying new vs used, there are plenty of used, low mileage sportsters available. Unless you just want to pay first year depreciation, dont be affraid to look at clean late model bikes.
Old 27 August 2015, 15:30

Used is cool -- def a great option....
Old 27 August 2015, 15:39
0311/8651

Indian Dark Horse
Old 27 August 2015, 15:41
Authorized Personnel

I found, that usually people that call a 883 a Chick Bike have never ridden one... They are a blast! and as others have said, economical, basic, and "Limitless" to customize on the cheap.

That being said - You will FIND things not to like about it as time goes by... (some of the things others stated - Smaller, Slower, rougher ride) and WANT to go 1200 to gofaster or a Bagger for comfort...

I've had Triumphs, BMWs and an Indian. I'm on my 7th HD - A '99 Road King (last year of the carburetor), and like every other HD I've had with the exception of one, I absolutely love it...

That being said - I rode a friends Victory Vision a month ago...

I want one!
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 27 August 2015, 16:05
Authorized Personnel

Had a HD 1200 custom I rode in Italy and the states. I loved that bike, best bike I ever had, but the wife couldn't handle the ride. So I bought a HD Softtail. I loved the bike also and wife could ride with me. We fell on hard times and the bike had to go. So if nothing else, research the resale value also. I ended up selling the HD Softtail for $900 more that what I paid for it.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 27 August 2015, 16:17
What could possibly go wrong?

Have a 2005 CVO fat boy I love. Would really like a CVO street glide that has the newer additions like cruise control and bags and stereo etc, along with a six speed transmission.
Old 27 August 2015, 16:18
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
First HD I owned was a 883 Sportster, also the bike I most enjoyed. It has so many customizing opportunities, and you can take it in a bunch of directions without replicating anyone and without spending "too much" money. I don't presume to know what "too much" means, though.

I also did a lot of the work on my Sportster myself -- the carb/breather/exhaust mods being the easiest and the most fun.

I'll likely buy another Sportster if I stay in Mexico another year.

I currently have a somewhat heavily mod'd 2000 NightTrain, with my avatar on the rear fender -- I like it, but it still isn't as fun as my Sportster was....
I'm not looking at tearing the entire bike apart but the above listed "simple" mods will most likely be good enough along with some appearance mods to keep my inner wannabe mechanic satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namor View Post
I had three Sportsters - hardly a girly bike. But they are not your best bet if you're looking for a cruiser, as they tend to be very rough-edged. My last Harley was a Low Rider, and it was an infinitely better bike. Better engine, better ride, better handling, better everything. Not too big, or costly, and a very easy riding machine. I owned a GSXR-600 at the same time, and enjoyed them both.
I'll check out the Low Rider a little closer, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic68whiskey View Post
Don't go with a 883, you will regret it. If you want HD Heritage Softails are great, as well as Road and Street Glides. It really depends on your riding style and how many miles you put on. As stated above there are some other great companies to look at too.

If you get an 883 you won't be able to keep up with anyone and will be sore as hell after any miles. Fatboys are reliable too, but I would say Glide thru and thru, that's my next bike.
I likely won't ride with anyone else as I only have one friend now who rides a vmax and rarely at that so I'll be riding solo and I'm down with that. I'll mostly use it as a way to change up driving my boring car everyday as I simply miss riding and I don't feel the need to race anyone anymore or go 150mph which is why I finally sold my R6. I just like the way it feels to be on two wheels on a nice day instead of a car.

Are you saying the 883 would make my ass sore because of ergonomics, the seat or suspension? A combination of multiple things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonburnout View Post
Once you have decided on price range, I would go and sit on and test drive if possible. Comfort is a huge favor on bikes. I ride the 2010 Fatboy Lo. Low center of gravity for short legged fellas like me. I would let comfort be your primary guide so sitting on different bikes and test riding will help alot. The bikes already mentioned are good choices also. But how it feels underneath you will guide your decision
I'll be heading to a HD dealership this weekend to sit on some bikes and see how they really feel. I'm short at 5'7" with a 29" inseam
Confirmed User

If you go with a Sportster, consider grabbing the 1200 instead of the 883. If you are an average to tall person, you will probably need forwards on it for any distance riding.

Take a look at the Dyna by HD. It is basically a Sportster front end on an Electra Glide frame. It handles nimbly like a sporty, is a little more stable at highway speeds, and is a shitload of fun!

I had a friend looking at a soft tail. He test drove that, and then my FXDX. He said he will never ride a soft tail again, and wanted me to ride the soft tail back to the dealership for him.

If you are used to sport bikes you will find the 883 to not have the top end speed you had before. A friend I worked with had an 883 lowster. The gas tank was more than 4 gallons and she could travel on long way on a tank of fuel. Another coworker had a 883 and he weighed over 200lbs. He said it would bottom out on the bridge expansion joints but it was an older bike. If you can arrange a test ride I would advise that. I have not had or rode anything other than baggers in 15 years so I have no first hand experience. it was already mentioned that the 1200 sporty would be an option too. They are more expensive. Best of luck
Old 27 August 2015, 16:19
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I obviously disagree with this statement, especially as it doesn't take into consideration different riding styles and locations. If you are riding around in town, that is vastly different than on the open highway. And since everything except a bagger is likely going to mean your ass will be sore (especially if you go for the "low" look), the ass comment is irrelevant. If the easy mods at HP increases for your 883 don't do it for you, it is ridiculously simple to turn that ride into a 1200. Oh -- is "that" too slow? LOL.

FWIW, I don't ride with people -- largely because I don't like them. So "keeping up with people" has never been a high priority for me, especially on something that if I drop it at high speeds, is going to fucking hurt A LOT....
I wasn't putting the 883 down, and I have owned a sporty 1200. Absolutely they can be modified cheaply. I said right in there that it depends on miles and riding style.

If he wants a cruiser, a sporty won't work and he will be trading up very quickly. We also don't know how big this dude is...if he is 6 five 300 lbs an 883 is way too small.

I am certainly biased, due to the miles I ride and how I ride. For a cruiser style bike, handling, speed, power my vote is Glides. A bike is a personal thing though, I just would hate to see someone buy something and a year later not like it.
Old 27 August 2015, 16:21

If money is not a limiting factor the switchback is a great bike. Dyna frame 103 motor and the saddlebags and windshield come off quick and clean. Fun bike but I would still see it as more of a bagger than a cruiser.
Old 27 August 2015, 16:25

One more thing with the sporty. HD used to offer an upgrade where you buy a sporty and if you trade up the next year you get your full purchase price back toward the next bike. Great deal if they still do it. It may have only been a local shop deal.

Our new posting rules