Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 September 2012, 02:04
Livin' On Blues Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I'm bowhunting turkey and deer . The other night I had turkeys roost all around me , I could not get a clear shot anywhere. I got into some thickets at dark the next morning to ambush turkeys. Some deer are coming down this trail I cut,it's still dark,they wind me and haul ass right under the roosting turkeys, turkeys fly away with the deer! Stand to, right now is way cool with all the bird life; owls,turkeys,hawks,and a whole passel of songbirds starting to head south....
All turkey birds need killin too. CA just added a 2nd fall bird and made the season 30 days instead of 2 weeks. Turkey sammiches coming up.

Just got me one of them SPOT PLBs just in case for my solo hunts. SPOT Connect, the one that interfaces with cell to enable texts to be sent where there is no cell coverage. New hydration bladder too and I'm set for deer this weekend in the Eastern Sierras.

Stay safe out there, just heard about squirrel hunter by Lake Isabella CA who slipped and shot his buddy and killed him.

Old 20 September 2012, 10:50
Nurse Ratched

Went for a hike yesterday evening with my female companion and encountered several whitetails along the trail. Talking about hunting and why I did the things that I do it suddenly clicked in her head and she said said "You used the same tactics to nail me!". Yeah pretty much.

Watching a nice 12 point on my trail cam. This guy is extremely cautious so I'm not putting much hope in seeing him anywhere near the daylight until the rut starts.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 20 September 2012, 18:49
Confirmed User

Saw a nice bull lastnite,not ready at all had my daughter with me(9)shorts and romeo's ,know where he is tho the weather finally broke, season ends sunday.bull was on his own should be responsive
Old 21 September 2012, 12:43
Been There Done That

You'll are killing me...Bow season does not start here till 15th of October. All I get to do now is kill target with my daughter every afternoon. I can say I would not want her shooting at me.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 21 September 2012, 13:03
Confirmed User

Would rather have our bow season start few weeks later, elk are just starting to rut, don't really care about the deer, rifle season for deer starts next weekend sure that the elk will be in full rut
Old 21 September 2012, 14:30
Not a ninja...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
...she said said "You used the same tactics to nail me!". Yeah pretty much.

Watching a nice 12 point on my trail cam.
I didn't think videotaping females in secret was even legal!!!
Old 25 September 2012, 22:58
Confirmed User

Well I'm back from the long awaited hunt, into elk everyday from 400/600 out not much good if you have a bow, hotter than hell actually closed the woods down on Tuesday last week(cut me short) elk not talking no rut no elk down
Old 26 September 2012, 10:10
No Title

After a couple weekends of scouting, I cleared lanes in 3 locations where I plan to climb a stand close to home. I try to practice with the bow every morning or evening for at least 5 arrows. Sometimes, one of the family will as well. After noticing more and more deer behind my house this summer, I moved a camera out back. It's hilarious. I may just hunt my yard. I try to get out with the squirrels as much as I can, as well. They are delicious.
If they advance against me, I shall retire before them, accepting battle if they give me a favorable opportunity, for the missile action of my lines is superior to the shock action of their columns . . .
-Sir Arthur Wellesley
Old 26 September 2012, 10:16
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimja View Post
I didn't think videotaping females in secret was even legal!!!
LOL It doesn't have to be in secret with her. But it did become obvious my vague questions about favorite foods and scents the first few nights resulted in her favorite foods and beer magically appearing in my fridge.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 5 October 2012, 13:03
Swear 2 drunk I'm not God

Can't wait to start bringing pheasants home (starting tomorrow here). I use a 16 gauge shot gun. Every one laughs at that but it does work. I have probably gone through about 1200 clay pigeons in preparation for this season...and I hit most of them too!

For bigger game I use either a .270 or .308 which both belonged to my father. I plan on buying my own rifle (.308 savage of some sort) so I can keep his guns in good condition and treat them more as family heir looms than hunting rifles. My question for you guys is do you think an ar-15 round can drop a large whitetail/mule at 150 yards? I'm sure it can with the right load but I have never done it nor do I have any friends that hunt with an ar-15. Lots of people online say it works well but others say it doesn't work well.....any one on here hunt with a .223 or 5.56?
Old 5 October 2012, 13:25
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddek View Post
For bigger game I use either a .270 or .308 which both belonged to my father. I plan on buying my own rifle (.308 savage of some sort) so I can keep his guns in good condition and treat them more as family heir looms than hunting rifles. My question for you guys is do you think an ar-15 round can drop a large whitetail/mule at 150 yards? I'm sure it can with the right load but I have never done it nor do I have any friends that hunt with an ar-15. Lots of people online say it works well but others say it doesn't work well.....any one on here hunt with a .223 or 5.56?
If it were me, for the sake of ensuring a faster/clean kill I would not use the .223. I would use .270, .308, 6MM, .257 Roberts, .30-06, .25-06. This takes into account Mule Deer at longer ranges. IIRC, some states do not allow anything in .22 to be used to take deer. Just my thoughts.

ETA: I do like the .270 Weatherby a lot, shoots flat with a lot of energy.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.
Old 5 October 2012, 14:01
Authorized Personnel

Teddek, You should also check your state game laws, most states do not allow big game hunting with a .223 Most play the game and say a .224 or greater. Some will allow it, but you need to check each individual state's game and fish laws. As with most of the arguments that occur over caliber it comes down to bullet type and shot placement. A person who is an excellent shot could use a 6.mm all day long if he was within his effective range. HIS refers to the effective range of both his skills and the rifle / caliber capability. A good .270 or .30-06 will take everything in North America fairly reliably. Those rifles usually have less expensive models that can be found at a resonable price. Ammo for those calibers can be found locally and are not special order or fancy items that you might not be able to locate easily. The sky is the limit on how fancy and you could certainly use the AR platform in a legal caliber to take your game if you so choose.
Old 5 October 2012, 14:05
Authorized Personnel

I am leaving next week to hunt in Wyoming if the task order does not drop. Of course, I have said that before, but this time I have my ticket purchased. Pretty much guarantees the TO will be awarded either before then or as soon as I land in God's Country. Elk beware because the freezer is empty and I have two tags.
Old 5 October 2012, 15:03
Swear 2 drunk I'm not God

Thanks Crucible. I'm a good shot with all my rifles so placement wouldn't be the problem, just the amount of energy it has at the target I. I'm thinking that within 150 yards a regular .223 round should do the trick...but I usually get in trouble when I start "thinking". I'm almost certain Montana allows hunting big game with a .223. I'm really looking into this savage .308 OR this other 30-06 I found around here. Both great guns, just need to decide which one I want in my safe!
Old 5 October 2012, 15:28
Authorized Personnel

I checked for you and you are correct in Montana:

Caliber: There is no caliber limitation during the general big game hunting season (except as specified under shotgun) for the taking of big game animals in Montana. Match the caliber and firearm to the size of the animal hunted.
Old 5 October 2012, 17:46
Authorized Personnel

I leave Sunday for some prairie dog shooting next week. I will also be attempting to call in a few coyotes.
Old 5 October 2012, 18:46
Confirmed User

300 win mag perfect all around weapon, will be next purchase in rifles.
Old 6 October 2012, 13:43
Confirmed User

Rifle season starts next week. I'm a heart beat away from buying my buddies Remington Sendero in 7mm RUM. He is making me a package deal with the 20x Leupold, brass, and reloading dies. Going to be hard to pass up.

I have a savage in .300 winmag but will probably rechamber it in 6.5x284 if I get the ultramag.

Last edited by wowzers; 6 October 2012 at 13:49.
Old 6 October 2012, 13:52
Been There Done That

Dropped a nice sized doe last week with the bow at 15 yds. Warm weather so had to butcher her right away. I never liked the way the muleys tasted out in Colorado, but I had an elk in the freezer most winters . I must say the midwest whitetails with their huge buffet menu of browse , nuts and grain, give the elk a run for it's money in flavor! We are talking some good chewin! I'm going back out this PM.
Old 7 October 2012, 00:59
Been There Done That

Wife's nephew knocked this down last week. Took three of us to track it, was worth the effort. (Nephew in the photo, not me.)Sept. 24, 2012 121.jpg

Our new posting rules