SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 20 August 2019, 16:20
JAFO's Avatar
JAFO JAFO is offline
33,024 - R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Welp, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days, I got a B in accounting and can continue on I really didn’t think of pull that one off. I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Bravo Zulu!!! I told you, Excel is your friend.
__________________
"Until Jesus gets into the gun business, there will never be a perfect gun.” - Will Larson (iraqgunz) RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 20 August 2019, 16:50
cj's Avatar
cj cj is offline
Sub Rosa
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Welp, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days, I got a B in accounting and can continue on I really didn’t think of pull that one off. I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Awesome, take it and run.
__________________
"error of opinion may be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it." Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 28 January 2020, 07:55
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 11,653
Still hanging in there. Starting my third semester and applying for admittance in a few weeks. I’m still blown away by the professorship and subject matter. I have to decide which actual track I’m going to take when I apply which is going to be hard due to the fact that there are so many that are appealing.

I was talking with a member the other day about a MBA. I have zero desire to go into “business”, so I think an MBA wouldn’t have been as interesting for me. Not to mention that I wouldn’t want to shell out the $150k- $200k for a top 10 program that would have gotten me the A&P I would hope to get.

I have really enjoyed the classes even if they have kicked my ass. I’m sure I’ve maintained a B in some classes just because of the curve
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 28 January 2020, 11:19
Dark Helmet's Avatar
Dark Helmet Dark Helmet is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 11,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I have zero desire to go into “business”, so I think an MBA wouldn’t have been as interesting for me.
Many folks go to law school and do not practice law, especially in my industry (insurance).

I wouldn't not do it for that reason....if you think about it, we are all in business, if not just our own personal business of running and managing a household and family. Do you have a 401(k)? IRA? Retirement accounts with controlled investments? Sounds corny, but it is true.
__________________
All Hail the Helmet!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 28 January 2020, 11:32
Xdeth's Avatar
Xdeth Xdeth is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston, MA <->Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,862
Based on observation, it's not what you know it's who. A top tier non online school makes you friends and friends of friends you will not get any other way. Online might be great for some aims when it comes to understanding the mechanics of the MBA (can read that for free too) but the best value comes from attending with people especially "elites". It's the same for elite undergraduate programs in the Ivy leagues or service academies, that network!

The top regional school can be almost as good if it's not Ivy league, Carolina Keenan Flagler for example. A lot of schemers there to befriend. :)
__________________
"First, decide who you would be. Then, do what you must do." -Epictetus
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 28 January 2020, 12:03
chokeu2's Avatar
chokeu2 chokeu2 is offline
Involuntary Yoga Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Still hanging in there. Starting my third semester and applying for admittance in a few weeks. I’m still blown away by the professorship and subject matter. I have to decide which actual track I’m going to take when I apply which is going to be hard due to the fact that there are so many that are appealing.

I was talking with a member the other day about a MBA. I have zero desire to go into “business”, so I think an MBA wouldn’t have been as interesting for me. Not to mention that I wouldn’t want to shell out the $150k- $200k for a top 10 program that would have gotten me the A&P I would hope to get.

I have really enjoyed the classes even if they have kicked my ass. I’m sure I’ve maintained a B in some classes just because of the curve
Exactly what I was hoping to see in this thread when it popped back up.

Safe to say, you’re satisfied that you chose this program?
__________________
Latus iustus inferni ,Latus mallum coeli
Donum diaboli, Constatia angeli

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 28 January 2020, 12:17
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Many folks go to law school and do not practice law, especially in my industry (insurance).

I wouldn't not do it for that reason....if you think about it, we are all in business, if not just our own personal business of running and managing a household and family. Do you have a 401(k)? IRA? Retirement accounts with controlled investments? Sounds corny, but it is true.
I was thinking of you, what you said about your MBA, and what it did for you when I wrote that. Perhaps I phrased my post incorrectly or poorly. I won’t argue with your line of thinking either. Perhaps I should have said a course of study with less math and more pontificating is my strong suite?
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 28 January 2020, 12:19
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Based on observation, it's not what you know it's who. A top tier non online school makes you friends and friends of friends you will not get any other way. Online might be great for some aims when it comes to understanding the mechanics of the MBA (can read that for free too) but the best value comes from attending with people especially "elites". It's the same for elite undergraduate programs in the Ivy leagues or service academies, that network!

The top regional school can be almost as good if it's not Ivy league, Carolina Keenan Flagler for example. A lot of schemers there to befriend. :)
Agreed. Not that I believe I am a top 10 MBA program candidate, I typically do get by by the skin of my teeth. The chances of me spending $150k and getting a consummate job where I can wear Ranger panties and workout all day are probably pretty slim.
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 28 January 2020, 14:40
Xdeth's Avatar
Xdeth Xdeth is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston, MA <->Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Agreed. Not that I believe I am a top 10 MBA program candidate, I typically do get by by the skin of my teeth. The chances of me spending $150k and getting a consummate job where I can wear Ranger panties and workout all day are probably pretty slim.
I hear you, there is no way I would could qualify for any top tier programs even regional IF I had the time. Had a friend doing Harvard extension which seemed impossible from my POV given the demands of just adult life. Doing it for yourself says a lot about you, and it's never wrong to be more educated.
__________________
"First, decide who you would be. Then, do what you must do." -Epictetus
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 29 January 2020, 11:32
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,363
Love seeing this thread pop back up and hearing how its going at HES
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018