SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen (SWCC)

Old 18 May 2018, 18:09

SBU-26 CS2 McCanless?

I was doing some time-killing on the internet and came across a list of SBU-26 crew at a Navy Buddies website. There is a guy, CS2 Chuck McCanless, that has himself listed there for being attached from June to December 1989. He says that he was combat wounded during Just Cause, and receieved a Purple Heart, Navy Com w/V, and a Presdential Unit Citation. Anyone else on here ever at SBU-26? I was there during Just Cause and I don't remember any of our guys getting wounded and receiving a Purple Heart, and we didn't get a Presidential Unit Citation. Besides the fact at that time the Navy didn't have CS's, they were still MS's. Anyone ever hear of this individual?
Old 18 May 2018, 19:24
Never to old to learn

Presidential Unit Citation (PUC)
The Presidential Unit Citation is an award given only when an entire unit demonstrates incredible gallantry and determination in accomplishing its mission while under extremely dangerous and difficult conditions.
The units actions must set them apart and propel them above the actions of other units participating in the same campaign.
The degree of collective combat heroism against an armed enemy by an entire unit receiving a PUC would be the equivalent to individual awards such as: Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross or Navy Cross. The men of the Naval Combat Demolition Units “Got some” and helped change history.

An individual can where the unit (PUC) if assigned to that unit ONLY while
assigned to the unit, IF he was not with the unit when it was earned. When he leaves he has to remove it when he leaves an can not CLAIM that he earned it.

I have been assigned to units that were awarded the PUC during Korea War, etc. an was authorized to have it on my Uniform but had to remove it, when I was transferred out of that unit.

Enduring Freedom Task Force Earns Presidential Unit Citation can not find one for Just Cause

I looked at what you were referring to on this individual any one can add there name to that list an put down what ever they like, I would call him out.

just my dimes worth.

Last edited by wildman43; 18 May 2018 at 19:34.
Old 18 May 2018, 22:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
An individual can where the unit (PUC) if assigned to that unit ONLY while assigned to the unit, IF he was not with the unit when it was earned. When he leaves he has to remove it when he leaves an can not CLAIM that he earned it.
If he was assigned to the unit during which the unit was awarded, though, he can wear it for the remainder of his career.

While in Korea in 1986 I was assigned to the United Nations Command Security Battalion in Pan Mun Jom Korea and while there, our unit was awarded the Army Superior Unit Award. Later in my career in 1/75, I always found myself explaining why I had a framed award on the "wrong" side that nobody else wore.

It took some internet sleuthing, but I found the orders: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...web/go8730.pdf

Page 4 and top of page 5.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 19 May 2018, 01:49
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
If he was assigned to the unit during which the unit was awarded, though, he can wear it for the remainder of his career.

While in Korea in 1986 I was assigned to the United Nations Command Security Battalion in Pan Mun Jom Korea and while there, our unit was awarded the Army Superior Unit Award. Later in my career in 1/75, I always found myself explaining why I had a framed award on the "wrong" side that nobody else wore.

It took some internet sleuthing, but I found the orders: https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...web/go8730.pdf

Page 4 and top of page 5.
Yes I know what you mean, an most of the time it is some Officer asking the question. I also have the Army Superior Unit Award. on a uniform that I have not worn in a long time.
Old 19 May 2018, 09:34
Been There Done That

PUC for Just Cause? I'm not too sure about that. I'm pretty sure it was awarded for the '87 Earnest Will/Prime Chance time frame, not '89. One of my team members told me, long after I left service, that we got it. I could be wrong - and I haven't requested an updated DD214. As to PH, I have to call bullshit on that. To my knowledge no DBG ever got hurt by those little Iranian Republican Guard fags.

Never heard of the guy. He is not active on our social media sites.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 19 May 2018, 13:17
Never to old to learn

He cut his finger doing paper work while assigned to Operations sections, got a PH for it
Old 19 May 2018, 14:58
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
He cut his finger doing paper work while assigned to Operations sections, got a PH for it
Wildman, I know you're trying to be funny, but let the NSW and SWCC folks sort this out.

You do not know who this person is, right?
Old 19 May 2018, 20:43
Confirmed User

I've never heard of a cook at a boat unit, but then, I was never in Panama either.

Was he a fleet augmentee? I know we got a bunch at 12 to cover dets. Or did 26 really have its own chow hall?
Old 20 May 2018, 12:05

The first DBGs to receive the PH since Vietnam were at SBT-22 during the Iraq Invasion. A floating mine was detonated close to the patrol and a couple of SWCCs were fragged. Both were back on the boat line the next day. You Just Cause guy is FOS
Old 20 May 2018, 15:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I've never heard of a cook at a boat unit, but then, I was never in Panama either.

Was he a fleet augmentee? I know we got a bunch at 12 to cover dets. Or did 26 really have its own chow hall?
I was attached to a Team 4 platoon pre-Just Cause for some interoperability training on Rodman. We interacted a lot with the SBU during this train-up as well as post JC. There was on enlisted mess on Rodman.

It was not ran by any spec ops element (ate there at least 2/day for 2/months.
Old 21 May 2018, 03:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable input, unfortunately in this post it clearly has no relevance to the question at hand.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post

We had one MS that came to SBU-26. No one was really sure how or why he go orders to there. The command just gave him TAD orders to the base galley for his time there.
Old 23 May 2018, 14:38
Confirmed User

FYI: The Navy's award database is https://awards.navy.mil.

You can query unit awards and your personal awards. It dates back to the WWII or early and the Navy updates it on a quarterly basis.
Old 24 May 2018, 13:23
Been There Done That

If he's listed as a CS2 he's lying.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass

Our new posting rules