SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 4 June 2018, 23:07
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivyScum View Post
Something tells me that if I had a gun, one of us (or both) would be dead and it'd be a raccoon's cache...
WTF?
Old 4 June 2018, 23:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
I can talk about this forever, apologies in advance for the long post.
...snip....
Rather than kill more bandwidth quoting your entire post- I have just a couple of questions-

1. Have you read through the rest (21 pages) of the thread or did you just feel the overwhelming urge to pontificate to an audience that represents the arguably most experienced military personnel in the U.S. (and possibly a large portion of the planet?

2. Do you tell other people you just met long stories?

Here's some solid advice given quite frequently here- read more, post less

Enjoy your tour!
Old 5 June 2018, 10:23
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
I donít carry a gun because I canít take it to work, or half the places I got day-to-day. Besides, I live by the words by some smart guy that said ďif you have to use a gun, you already did something wrong. Guns make people dumb. Duct tape makes people smart.Ē That said, of course there are situations you donít get to pick where a gun makes the situation easier to deal with or maybe the only way you survive. If you can take a firearm, do it. Just donít pretend itíll solve a lot of your issues. Reality is thereís usually another way, and if you really take control of your situation and the steps along the way, you should be fine without one. There are also a lot of ramifications to using a gun, sometimes unforeseen, and most bug-out situations donít incorporate that into the scenario very well. Guns can escalate non-issue situations, expose you, or dictate the rest of your strategy too much. If youíre not careful, it can control more of your situation than you yourself, and thatís not good. Iím not trying to sound anti-gun, but I have to sort of backup my reasoning. Just donít let it fool you into thinking itís your savior tool. It is a great food procurement tool, unless youíre worried about being found.
I was going through this post as I am in the market for a smaller pack and thought I would see what members here thought. And then I saw this. I read all posts in order, so I haven't read past this yet, but I'm gonna guess 2 things.
1-Your S/A is severely lacking. You're trying to school men and women here who have lived much of their lives using the tool, that is a firearm (because quite simply it's just another tool)
2-I'm also gonna guess that the further I read, someone smarter and more experienced than me will tell you how wrong you are. Depending on your attitude it may be nice and polite or it may not be.
I admit, now I'm kinda excited to read on, to hell with the new bag I was researching
Old 5 June 2018, 10:25
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
When you were here the first time, was your user name was WhenTheEagleCries?
HAHAHA, brother I just lost it! I'm crying I'm laughing so hard
Old 5 June 2018, 10:27
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Very informative thread. For my civilian friends who are loaded with cash and are not going to spend time to assemble their own, is there a bag out there that's pre loaded that anyone has come across that they would recommend?

Thanks
There are. I don't know of the companies per se, but if they google it or just window shop at a Cabela's, etc they can find them
But, if they don't know how to use the stuff, it's pretty much worthless IMO.
Old 5 June 2018, 11:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
But, if they don't know how to use the stuff, it's pretty much worthless IMO.
IDK about worthless, it makes their body a good resupply point.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 5 June 2018, 14:54
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
IDK about worthless, it makes their body a good resupply point.
haha, nice one.
Old 5 June 2018, 15:29
Shakin' the bush Boss

Don't you ever watch TV? They ALWAYS come back to life and try to eat your brain.
Old 5 June 2018, 22:56
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Anyone using the 5.11 rush12 or 24. Thinking about the 24 but wondering if it's too big and the 12 with some added pouches would be better.
I use the RUSH 72 for my INCH bag and the Covert for my GHB.
Old 5 June 2018, 23:02
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Nice bag too.

The 5.11 COVRT 18 is a good light option for one looking to be “the grey man”.
Old 6 June 2018, 12:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I had to google INCH. How do you like the durability of the bag especially around the zippers?

Have you carried the 72 with any weight over distance, was also looking at that particular bag for a weekend hiker.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 7 June 2018, 01:01
The Sagacious One

It weighs about 50 lbs and does well. Balance is tricky with the big outside pocket. I stuffed mine with ammo and had to repack it. Also, consider the LA Police gear bag, its just as if not more durable and about 1/2 the cost.
Old 7 June 2018, 11:33
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Nice bag too.

The 5.11 COVRT 18 is a good light option for one looking to be ďthe grey manĒ.
Looked it up. I like this one.
Old 7 June 2018, 12:22
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Looked it up. I like this one.
They work well and are quite durable. It was my everyday use pack.

Quote:
Have you carried the 72 with any weight over distance, was also looking at that particular bag for a weekend hiker.
The 72 has a lot of usable volume, but no internal frame (other than a flexible plastic sheath) to support the heavier load. I like the Badlands packs like the Super Day and BOS for longer trips with more weight, as they provide a better load-weight distribution through use of an internal frame and waist straps/belt.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:14
FIDO

Hiked 24.7 miles with Armitage this past weekend. (the man might be part billy goat) I used the Badlands BOS pack. The internal frame made the 24lb load light on my shoulders and shifted most of the weight to my back/hips. The pack has a ton of room and several pockets with sturdy zippers. We encounters some rain along the way. The pack kept things dry in the lighter rain, but I used a poncho during the heavier rain so I don't know how long the pack would have remained dry. The mesh and open area between the frame and the pack let air circulate so my back wasn't a sweaty mess.

The only negative I have found to this point is that the back rest of the frame makes it uncomfortable to wear a belt. The frame is just the right height that it pushes the belt down and causes some friction, and some minor chaffin. This may be alleviated by making some adjustments so time will tell.

Over the hike I only got one blister that Armitage was eager to offer to inject with iodine several times along the way.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:15
Confronting the Reckoning

I'm a mean billy goat.

I was glad I had a small dry bag handy, so when the rain picked up I could dump my pockets (wallet, phone, keys) into that and roll it up. After one really rainy hike drowned my FAK a few months ago, I took to keeping that in a dry bag as well (red, of course).
Old 12 June 2018, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
WTF?
Gunfight.
Old 13 June 2018, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Rather than kill more bandwidth quoting your entire post- I have just a couple of questions-

1. Have you read through the rest (21 pages) of the thread or did you just feel the overwhelming urge to pontificate to an audience that represents the arguably most experienced military personnel in the U.S. (and possibly a large portion of the planet?

2. Do you tell other people you just met long stories?

Here's some solid advice given quite frequently here- read more, post less

Enjoy your tour!
I had a perspective that's viewed negatively by many here. Lesson learned. I was polite about it and backed off. As far as I'm concerned, we're talking about totally different things, and I'll leave it at that instead of dragging it on. Dunno why you had such an "urge" to bring back up though... If you wanted to discuss or something, that's different. But if you brought it up just to slap me across the face with it then I'm obviously going to respond to your loaded questions and we'll just be just wasting everybody's else's time, won't we?
Old 13 June 2018, 00:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
I had a perspective that's viewed negatively by many here.
Why, exactly?
Old 13 June 2018, 09:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
I had a perspective that's viewed negatively by many here. Lesson learned. I was polite about it and backed off. As far as I'm concerned, we're talking about totally different things, and I'll leave it at that instead of dragging it on. Dunno why you had such an "urge" to bring back up though... If you wanted to discuss or something, that's different. But if you brought it up just to slap me across the face with it then I'm obviously going to respond to your loaded questions and we'll just be just wasting everybody's else's time, won't we?
OK, Sparky, since you obviously don't take a hint very well, let me lay it out for you.

1. Grow a thicker skin. If you post something on here, be prepared to have it critiqued; the population of this board, of which you are a GUEST, consists predominately of current and former Special Operations personnel that have decades of experience in survival planning and training. I wont belabor that point.

2. Develop some situational awareness. just happen to be the Moderator of this section, which you would know if you had bothered to check the bottom of the Forum listing. I am the designated gatekeeper and part of those duties is to monitor and sometimes rein in postings, yours included.

3. Watch how you address other members of this board. Be polite or be gone. Be especially careful how you address any member with a 'BTDT' or 'Been There Done That' under their avatar. Our house, our rules. There are plenty of seats available on the Black Chinook and the wrong attitude is the ticket price.

4. I strongly recommend that you read entire threads before jumping in on them; chances are that what you want to post has been addressed before. If you want to comment on the post, do so in a manner that contributes to the discussion.

There, I hope this clears things up for you. Don't PM me to argue.

Thanks.

RGR.Montcalm

Our new posting rules