SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 25 February 2023, 10:37

As a kid living at West Point, 77-83 timeframe, I was able to meet him. If course, being a young kid, I had no clue who he was. He and my Dad were sitting in my Dads office just talking when I walked in.
Man among men is true. His MOH citation is incredible to say the least..
Old 25 February 2023, 13:24
Been There Done That

^There's quite a few YT vids of the MOH ceremony with Reagan and Cap Weinberger and some others of just MSgt Benavidez. One of the best ones I've watched was when he was speaking to an auditorium full of HS students.
Old 27 February 2023, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top0321 View Post
^There's quite a few YT vids of the MOH ceremony with Reagan and Cap Weinberger and some others of just MSgt Benavidez. One of the best ones I've watched was when he was speaking to an auditorium full of HS students.
Agreed, I never tire of watching that one.

The man was a true bad ass
Old 27 February 2023, 12:50
Been There Done That

I thought I posted this before but it must be in another thread about him. I met MSG. Benavidez once in 85/86. My CSM invited him to participate in NCO professional development training and he spoke with us.

Very humble man.

Life Would Be Boring If We Were All Normal - SB
Old 28 February 2023, 00:38
Been There Done That

Sorry guys-

Met him at Betty's Battalion (local SF Medic Hangout) outside of Ft. Sam going thru 300F1. He was an absolute prick to everyone. EXPECTED to never pay for a beer or food, just pulled his MOH from his pocket and tossed it on the bar. We asked him to speak at our SF Medic graduation - he wanted, MINIMUM, a grand and to have our class pay his food and booze bill at Betty's until graduation. We said thanks but no thanks.

While his service and accolades were indeed worthy, his service exemplary, and his sacrifice evident...by the late 80's he was an absolute dick who was difficult to tolerate, had lost ANY humility, and used his MOH like a freaking credit card.

Despite his service and MOH narrative - I (and those with me at the time) found his company incredibly distasteful and "entitled".

He did great things no doubt - saved many lives....but in the end, he still came off as a greedy self serving prick. And I HATE IT, despite it being the truth.

Others who had a more positive experience - I wish I were among you.
Old 28 February 2023, 11:25
Authorized

They always say you should never meet your heros, as they may not live up to the legend.

Our new posting rules