SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 14 December 2018, 22:28
Sound off for equipment check!

ACA struck down by Federal Judge.

Quote:
A federal judge in Texas said on Friday that the Affordable Care Act's individual coverage mandate is unconstitutional and that the rest of the law must also fall.
What a surprise! Did not see this coming.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 14 December 2018, 22:42
Moving Target

good
Old 14 December 2018, 22:42
Drawing my cutlass

SCOTUS bound.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 December 2018, 22:49
Red Headed Stepchild

Great news, but when I first saw this I tbought it said KidA struck down by federal judge.

Pretty sure this won’t be near as funny.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 14 December 2018 at 22:57.
Old 14 December 2018, 23:14
Been There Done That

I do have a concern over pre existing conditions, if this will be affected or not. That is one of the things I though was really good about the ACA, is getting coverage if one has pre existing conditions - like my nephew who had cancer last year. There were somethings not so good with the ACA, but there were some good things as well.
Old 15 December 2018, 00:58
Did...did I do that?

Legal analysis of the decision by one of the professors at Volokh Conspiracy.

He's less than impressed at the judge's reasoning.

Quote:
The problem with this analysis is that it's central claim -- that "the Individual Mandate continues to mandate the purchase of health insurance" -- is false, both in law and in fact. As Chief Judge Roberts explicitly noted in his NFIB opinion, the "only consequence" of failing to obtain qualifying health insurance is paying a tax – a tax which is now set at zero. As Roberts wrote: "Neither the Act nor any other law attaches negative legal consequences to not buying health insurance, beyond requiring a payment to the IRS." In other words, there is nothing left in the ACA that mandates that people obtain health insurance.

Judge O'Connor is not content to claim the mandate must be invalidated, he goes on to claim that this justifies declaring the whole law invalid because Congress, in 2010, claimed the mandate was essential to the operation of the Act. Yet Congress in 2017 reached a different conclusion when it enacted legislation zeroing out the mandate penalty. The ACA today -- the ACA as amended by Congress in 2017 -- no longer relies upon an enforceable individual mandate to operate because there is none.

Despite this fact, Judge O'Connor concludes that the 2017 Congress's decisions to leave the ACA without an enforceable mandate requires invalidation of the entire law because the 2010 Congress said so. In effect, Judge O'Connor concludes that the 2010 Congress precluded subsequent Congress's from selectively amending the ACA. This would be crazy even if Congress had sought to do this in 2010 -- it's even more crazy as the 2010 Congress did no such thing.
Old 15 December 2018, 09:16
Old and Grumpy

It was a poorly written act that was penned by lobbyists from the healthcare industry. I always thought it was a major scam on the middle class.
Old 15 December 2018, 09:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
It was a poorly written act that was penned by lobbyists from the healthcare industry. I always thought it was a major scam on the middle class.
It was always meant to fail. It was the first step to single payer - the wet dream of the left.

All things health care have failed where they were meant to fail and hooked people on the "free" stuff and rebates where they were meant to.

My daughter and husband are paying around $500 a month for a very, very basic plan. They have a baby due in March and have been checking various heath plans. The cheapest they have found so far "only" adds $1,000 to the $500. Their pay puts them outside the rebate zone.

Couple more years of this and the D's will push "single payer" and folks caught like my daughter will say "why not".
Old 15 December 2018, 11:12
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
It was always meant to fail. It was the first step to single payer - the wet dream of the left.

All things health care have failed where they were meant to fail and hooked people on the "free" stuff and rebates where they were meant to.

My daughter and husband are paying around $500 a month for a very, very basic plan. They have a baby due in March and have been checking various heath plans. The cheapest they have found so far "only" adds $1,000 to the $500. Their pay puts them outside the rebate zone.

Couple more years of this and the D's will push "single payer" and folks caught like my daughter will say "why not".

Have they looked into: https://www.chministries.org
(You don't have to be religious)

~ Frédéric Bastiat
Old 15 December 2018, 12:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post

I dont know their story of course, but when I read about people trying to pay for all these policies, I cant help but wonder why people aren't trying to get jobs with better benefits. It seems like so many people are content with having a job that will not provide them any insurance or retirement benefits.
Old 15 December 2018, 12:57
Been There Done That

Well, many people have their own business, or like the work they are in, or do not want a job that makes them work 60+ hours a week, require a long commute, move to an area away from family, pack up and leave their house, live in a less desirable area, etc. Many legitimate reasons.

Sad part is, with health care costs getting outrageous one then become like a slave.
Old 15 December 2018, 14:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, many people have their own business, or like the work they are in, or do not want a job that makes them work 60+ hours a week, require a long commute, move to an area away from family, pack up and leave their house, live in a less desirable area, etc. Many legitimate reasons.

Sad part is, with health care costs getting outrageous one then become like a slave.
Owning a business makes sense. I guess I should have seen that as a valid reason. Most of the complaints that come from people that I know are not business owners though.

Parts of the ACA, not just limited to the policy requirements have driven up healthcare costs even higher than they already were. It would be nice if we could get government mostly out of healthcare.
Old 15 December 2018, 16:32
pumpin gas and kickin ass

What's stupid is healthcare planning totally relies on your employment. You want better healthcare, go look for a better job? To me, that is the exact problem.

It ain't healthcare, it's insurance. Not the same thing. Healthcare costs are driven out of control by the ubiquity of insurance requirements, such that regular and common costs are drastically inflated because of the involvement of insurance acting as the arbiter of payment for services.

The fact that this is inextricably connected to employment creates the problem.

Wanting better healthcare should have nothing to do with employment. It should have to do with forgoing your luxury expenses and the ability to purchase a product on a free market commensurate to your willingness to pay.
Old 15 December 2018, 16:53
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
What's stupid is healthcare planning totally relies on your employment. You want better healthcare, go look for a better job? To me, that is the exact problem.

It ain't healthcare, it's insurance. Not the same thing. Healthcare costs are driven out of control by the ubiquity of insurance requirements, such that regular and common costs are drastically inflated because of the involvement of insurance acting as the arbiter of payment for services.

The fact that this is inextricably connected to employment creates the problem.

Wanting better healthcare should have nothing to do with employment. It should have to do with forgoing your luxury expenses and the ability to purchase a product on a free market commensurate to your willingness to pay.
Absolutely.

Without a lot of fanfare, Direct Primary Care's been coming to the forefront in many places around the United States. Usually, there is a regulatory change or reinforcement that deems what you pay to a primary care provider is not insurance.

They usually charge anywhere from $50-$100 per month per person, but give group discounts for families.

They don't necessarily take insurance and, unless there is some sort of contract, don't need to work with employers. In some states, you can pay your monthly fee with a HSA, so your employer can pay for your care tax free via the account.

~ Frédéric Bastiat
Old 15 December 2018, 17:59
Confirmed User

When I read the story this morning, I had two thoughts.

1. How did this not happen in 2016?

2. How many other "things" are going to be "found" to be unconstitutional by some federal judge somewhere?
Old 16 December 2018, 21:25
Freelancer

Glad I have the VA.

Or as a last resort Go Fund Me or bankruptcy.
Old 16 December 2018, 21:37
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
We already are slaves. Slaves to credit scores. Slaves to consumerism. Slaves to mushrooming laws that attempt to govern every aspect of life. Slaves to political outrage perpetuated by a ruling class. Healthcare just keeps the slaves healthy and productive while lining another pocket by command of the government.
Old 16 December 2018, 21:51
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Glad I have the VA.
I wouldn't let the VA fix my fucking weedeater.
Old 17 December 2018, 06:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
We already are slaves. Slaves to credit scores. Slaves to consumerism. Slaves to mushrooming laws that attempt to govern every aspect of life. Slaves to political outrage perpetuated by a ruling class. Healthcare just keeps the slaves healthy and productive while lining another pocket by command of the government.
This. And for the most part, those that conform early are likely to succeed early. Fight the system and the system bends you over with ease.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 17 December 2018, 07:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
I couldn't have put it more accurately. Good reply.

The oligarchy has things down to a science. It's to the point where they have convinced a large swath of folks to even advocate on their behalf.

Our new posting rules