SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 20 August 2019, 16:20
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Welp, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days, I got a B in accounting and can continue on I really didnít think of pull that one off. I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Bravo Zulu!!! I told you, Excel is your friend.
Old 20 August 2019, 16:50
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Welp, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days, I got a B in accounting and can continue on I really didnít think of pull that one off. I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Awesome, take it and run.
Old 28 January 2020, 07:55
In Vino Veritas

Still hanging in there. Starting my third semester and applying for admittance in a few weeks. Iím still blown away by the professorship and subject matter. I have to decide which actual track Iím going to take when I apply which is going to be hard due to the fact that there are so many that are appealing.

I was talking with a member the other day about a MBA. I have zero desire to go into ďbusinessĒ, so I think an MBA wouldnít have been as interesting for me. Not to mention that I wouldnít want to shell out the $150k- $200k for a top 10 program that would have gotten me the A&P I would hope to get.

I have really enjoyed the classes even if they have kicked my ass. Iím sure Iíve maintained a B in some classes just because of the curve
Old 28 January 2020, 11:19
Administrator

Quote:
I have zero desire to go into ďbusinessĒ, so I think an MBA wouldnít have been as interesting for me.
Many folks go to law school and do not practice law, especially in my industry (insurance).

I wouldn't not do it for that reason....if you think about it, we are all in business, if not just our own personal business of running and managing a household and family. Do you have a 401(k)? IRA? Retirement accounts with controlled investments? Sounds corny, but it is true.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 28 January 2020, 11:32
Been There Done That

Based on observation, it's not what you know it's who. A top tier non online school makes you friends and friends of friends you will not get any other way. Online might be great for some aims when it comes to understanding the mechanics of the MBA (can read that for free too) but the best value comes from attending with people especially "elites". It's the same for elite undergraduate programs in the Ivy leagues or service academies, that network!

The top regional school can be almost as good if it's not Ivy league, Carolina Keenan Flagler for example. A lot of schemers there to befriend. :)
Old 28 January 2020, 12:03
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Still hanging in there. Starting my third semester and applying for admittance in a few weeks. Iím still blown away by the professorship and subject matter. I have to decide which actual track Iím going to take when I apply which is going to be hard due to the fact that there are so many that are appealing.

I was talking with a member the other day about a MBA. I have zero desire to go into ďbusinessĒ, so I think an MBA wouldnít have been as interesting for me. Not to mention that I wouldnít want to shell out the $150k- $200k for a top 10 program that would have gotten me the A&P I would hope to get.

I have really enjoyed the classes even if they have kicked my ass. Iím sure Iíve maintained a B in some classes just because of the curve
Exactly what I was hoping to see in this thread when it popped back up.

Safe to say, youíre satisfied that you chose this program?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 28 January 2020, 12:17
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Many folks go to law school and do not practice law, especially in my industry (insurance).

I wouldn't not do it for that reason....if you think about it, we are all in business, if not just our own personal business of running and managing a household and family. Do you have a 401(k)? IRA? Retirement accounts with controlled investments? Sounds corny, but it is true.
I was thinking of you, what you said about your MBA, and what it did for you when I wrote that. Perhaps I phrased my post incorrectly or poorly. I wonít argue with your line of thinking either. Perhaps I should have said a course of study with less math and more pontificating is my strong suite?
Old 28 January 2020, 12:19
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Based on observation, it's not what you know it's who. A top tier non online school makes you friends and friends of friends you will not get any other way. Online might be great for some aims when it comes to understanding the mechanics of the MBA (can read that for free too) but the best value comes from attending with people especially "elites". It's the same for elite undergraduate programs in the Ivy leagues or service academies, that network!

The top regional school can be almost as good if it's not Ivy league, Carolina Keenan Flagler for example. A lot of schemers there to befriend. :)
Agreed. Not that I believe I am a top 10 MBA program candidate, I typically do get by by the skin of my teeth. The chances of me spending $150k and getting a consummate job where I can wear Ranger panties and workout all day are probably pretty slim.
Old 28 January 2020, 14:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Agreed. Not that I believe I am a top 10 MBA program candidate, I typically do get by by the skin of my teeth. The chances of me spending $150k and getting a consummate job where I can wear Ranger panties and workout all day are probably pretty slim.
I hear you, there is no way I would could qualify for any top tier programs even regional IF I had the time. Had a friend doing Harvard extension which seemed impossible from my POV given the demands of just adult life. Doing it for yourself says a lot about you, and it's never wrong to be more educated.
Old 29 January 2020, 11:32
exquisitus asinus

Love seeing this thread pop back up and hearing how its going at HES
Old 15 May 2020, 11:32
In Vino Veritas

Third semester down and my application for full admittance has been submitted. It was touch and go for half the semester with a horrible mid-term in micro Econ, but I should have an A for the semester. I’ll know by June 10th if I’m admitted but I don’t foresee any major issues.

I did my residence portion over a weekend this semester. I’d say it was a mixed bag. What struck me was a Navy vet who was going to graduate HES and go straight to and EMBA at...Duke. He said he didn’t get the networking he had hoped for. And after meeting some of the students that makes perfect sense.

The education is still good and I’m using GI Bill benefits so the general cost is free ninty-nine. However, if someone is looking for a great job coming out of here I’m not so sure that would be in the cards.
Old 15 May 2020, 22:22
exquisitus asinus

Depends on how you define a great job I think..

I’m going to guess Wall Street might not be beating down HES grad doors...

But I’m also going to guess an HES masters and your .mil background combined makes you highly attractive to a Northrop, Lockheed, Raytheon, Booz Allen, etc for entry at middle management (positions typically reserved for retiring O6’s or MBA’s that have already been in the organization for 10+ years)...
Old 16 May 2020, 08:13
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Depends on how you define a great job I think..

Iím going to guess Wall Street might not be beating down HES grad doors...

But Iím also going to guess an HES masters and your .mil background combined makes you highly attractive to a Northrop, Lockheed, Raytheon, Booz Allen, etc for entry at middle management (positions typically reserved for retiring O6ís or MBAís that have already been in the organization for 10+ years)...
Yes. Trying to leverage the HES name for PE or IB probably isnít going to work out so well. I may have been reading too much Wall Street Oasis. I didnít consider a government contractor. Thank you for the perspective MD
Old 16 May 2020, 09:30
exquisitus asinus

My firm isn’t giant.. and you and I don’t know each other outside of SOCNET.. but for a matter of perspective... your mil resume and HES would make you an easy contender for a Program Management or higher level entry with us.. and easily get you six figures... even without prior PgM experience (long discussion as to why.. I can take that to PM if you are interested)...

Go to one of the giant firms and I think you’re looking at a $125-$150k entry point in NoVA.. and a couple of quick promotions and pay raises if you turn out to be any good at the job at all...
Old 18 May 2020, 09:58
Been There Done That

I would concur with everything mdwest just said. HES likely isn't going to get you the network to move into PE or IB, but the education combined with your current network and a SOF background can be leveraged into some lucrative positions.

I see plenty of SOF guys rolling into six-figure jobs with zero formal education. It usually takes them a little bit to fall into one of two categories. They either realize that they're behind the education curve and get an education to climb the pay scale quickly, or they fall into irrelevance and continue churning where they are.

School is a pain in the ass, but it does make you smarter and better at your job if you let it.
Old 18 May 2020, 16:13
In Vino Veritas

Thank you guys, I always appreciate the insight and feedback.

I am enjoying school and I never enrolled for specific monetary reasons. The real payoff is the knowledge ô However, as I look at the cost (minimal to me) and time investment (not so minimal) I was starting to worry if the bang was worth the buck.
Old 3 June 2020, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

[QUOTE=Hot Mess;1058862466] I may have been reading too much Wall Street Oasis.../QUOTE]

LOL, dude - any reading of WSO is too much. Even if the site members are 10% as douchy as they come across, there's a whole other world to DBs out there.
Old 3 June 2020, 17:29
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=peter28;1058865776]
Quote:
I may have been reading too much Wall Street Oasis.../QUOTE]

LOL, dude - any reading of WSO is too much. Even if the site members are 10% as douchy as they come across, there's a whole other world to DBs out there.
It was fine back in 2014-2016.

For the last couple years the site became 90% college or late high school kids crying about "prestige".

-Michael Malice
Old 5 June 2020, 09:10
In Vino Veritas

Officially accepted
Old 5 June 2020, 09:45
exquisitus asinus

F'in COOL!

Really awesome story getting built in this thread..

Our new posting rules