SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 6 December 2014, 02:24
Been There Done That

Styer Handguns?

Anyone have/use one? Seem like a real competition to the Glocks, in terms of price, design and reliability. Have heard some good things on the newer ones. Of course not as popular due to distribution and availability. Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 December 2014, 08:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

I've shot one. I like it, great ergonomics, low bore axis, all around good gun...except that it failed my personal "Glock Test," as in "what can this Tupperware gun do that a Glock can't for far less money." Magazines and accessories for Glocks are far easier to find as well.
Old 7 December 2014, 03:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I've shot one. I like it, great ergonomics, low bore axis, all around good gun...except that it failed my personal "Glock Test," as in "what can this Tupperware gun do that a Glock can't for far less money." Magazines and accessories for Glocks are far easier to find as well.
Well, the Steyrs are running about $100 less than Glocks now, so great buy for the money. But, you are right regarding aftermarket parts, holsters, etc. - much harder to find.

Would not mind picking up a 9mm version in the future, to compliment the AUG, but probably hold off for awhile as the Glock 20 is the next handgun purchase.

Old 10 December 2014, 08:49
Been There Done That

Tried one at gun store yesterday. Liked everything about the gun, except the sites. Even in the store, I could just not get a good sight picture with the triangle sights. My eyes just could not pick up the slanted rear sights. Very blurry to me. The Standard Glock "U" shaped sights, easy for me to see. Think I would only get the Styer if I could change out the sights.

I was though very impressed with the trigger, just dry firing it was amazed at how smooth and crisp it felt - better than Glock trigger.

Hand grip though felt a little slim/small for me. Would have to as well, get a rubber wrap/hogue rubber type wrap for the grip.

Old 10 December 2014, 11:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Concur here.

Hadf a buddy that had a pre-ban 9 MM DA/SA (forget the lodel number). It was a really large pistol with a 17-round magazine IIRC. Not for small hands...but it was reliable as hell and pointed well.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 March 2015, 12:21
Bitter old man.

I just checked out a NIB GB at LGS.
Very well made weapon.
Old 1 March 2015, 15:38
Confirmed User

Steyr definitely makes good Sh!t. The ones I've shot over the years operated perfectly. I never pick one up due to Mag availability issues. But my main concern was that they got popped for selling Arms to Iran. Soured my image of their brand.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...from-Iran.html
Old 1 March 2015, 20:27
Confirmed User

I've got some of their rifles and they are excellent. Minimum of 20% off discount on mags for military or LEO direct from Steyr Arms USA.
Old 10 May 2017, 09:01
Been There Done That

Good prices these days, so getting ready to pull the trigger on a C9-A1 model.

As per my original post, after trying one out at a gun store, the triangle front sight has really grew on me. Think will black out the rear sight though, as makes the front easier to see.

Really like the ergonomics of the design. Found a good supplier that makes holster for the whole Steyr line up as well, which at times can be hard to find. https://www.crossbreedholsters.com

I was telling a buddy, half joking and half real, the other day I almost am considering going "All Austrian". Just Glocks and Steyr. Steyr AUG, Steyr Scout, Glock .45s, and Steyr 9mms. My 40th year anniversary Steyr AUG should be coming out this month, at the top of the waiting list to get one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steyr-C9-A1_002.jpg (73.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by leopardprey; 10 May 2017 at 09:08.
Old 10 May 2017, 10:01
Bitter old man.

So your selling your P7s?
Old 10 May 2017, 12:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
So your selling your P7s?
LOL No. Never! Two German made pistol can stay. Austria, Germany. Same, Same.

Old 12 May 2017, 08:58
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
LOL No. Never! Two German made pistol can stay. Austria, Germany. Same, Same.
Damn! Had some magic beans I would have given you.
Old 12 May 2017, 14:03
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
the triangle front sight has really grew on me.
Is this code for "I got glasses since I last tried the sights"?

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 12 May 2017, 14:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Is this code for "I got glasses since I last tried the sights"?
More like "My eyes have gotten worst, so I don't even bother to look at the sights anymore.. I just wait until they are danger close and use instinctive point shooting."

Our new posting rules