SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 14 March 2017, 22:13
Confirmed User

Full Auto Weapons In The US

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Any person that can pass a basic background check and achieve a passing score on a battery of tests can get paid to use automatic weapons.
Unless you can "turn back time", some of us "aged out" of that option a whole bunch of years ago!
Old 15 March 2017, 03:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
I thought it had to be converted to semi-auto if you want to keep it...
Yeah, in fact you're right....
First you keep it at home in full-auto for the time you are on active duty (about 15 years), them you can keep it for free...but in semi-auto

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 15 March 2017, 23:21
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
I'd love to see the inside of your gun room. I've seen a couple of auctions that you've had recently and you have some pretty cool toys.
Thank you Sir.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 16 March 2017, 07:10
Been There Done That

Pre 86 Machine guns are a bit expensive now, but super fun
I bought this uzi about 10 years ago for 5k, now they sell for a bit more.

Here's my wife having fun with it in Colorado.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlID3xvju9A

When we moved to Florida we just filed a form with the atf to move it also, but you have to move from one class 3 friendly state to another, but honestly, why would anyone move to a state that didn't allow them?

You can get a lot more types if you are a class 3 dealer.
If you are near Denver a guy I know does class 3 rentals for parties and such...he has 50 cals, HK's, all sorts.
http://www.machineguntours.com/shooting-range/
Old 18 March 2017, 12:10

Quote:
Any person that can pass a basic background check and achieve a passing score on a battery of tests can get paid to use automatic weapons.
Internet High Five
Old 21 March 2017, 16:06
A lost ball in high weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
....over $30,000 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
Throw in the cost to feed the beast and, suddenly, you could be talking real money.
Old 28 April 2017, 14:41

Quote:
The paperwork, tax and background check are a burden
Paperwork = a dealer filling out a federal form and the buyer signing and dating it. There is no more LEO sign-off, pics and prints are a minor inconvenience

Tax = $200, a pain in the dick, but some of us see it as a "cost of being able to play"

BG Check = Same as NICS Check it just takes ATF 9 to 18 months to conduct it. Again more dick pain.

Quote:
but the biggest obstacle is price. Since no manufacture or import of fully automatic weapons for civilian use has happened since '86, there is a diminshing avialbility. Due to that low supply and high demand, a full auto version of a $1,000 semi-auto Colt AR-15 can run over $30,000 for a pre-86 transferable full auto gun.
That's the REAL obstacle, although they shut off imported MG's in 68 for civilian sales.
Old 28 April 2017, 15:31

From what I understand, POTUS Trump, through executive action alone, can temporarily suspend the Hughes Amendment to allow for the new registering of MGs. This is written into the law itself and "temporary" is not defined so it can last his entire term. No having to go to Congress. No judges blocking the way. Just write up the order at breakfast, and have it signed and implemented by lunchtime.

You could form 1 your entire AR/MP5/etc collection if that happened. God knows I would.

If I was bros with Eric Trump I'd be text bombing him with messages telling him to talk to his dad about that.
Old 28 April 2017, 16:36
Been There Done That

^Though would be nice, I could personally care less. The emphasis needs to be on 50 state reciprocity for CCWs. That should be the #1 priority, and then MOST IMPORTANT. I can live without owning a fully automatic weapon....and besides they only reason to own one really is just for the "Fun factor". Where as I NEED 50 state reciprocity. I want to be able to travel to Illinois and Chicago (and D.C. New York, California, etc.), and be able to carry and protect myself if need be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 April 2017, 16:49
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
The emphasis needs to be on 50 state reciprocity for CCWs.
^ +1
Old 28 April 2017, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^Though would be nice, I could personally care less. The emphasis needs to be on 50 state reciprocity for CCWs. That should be the #1 priority, and then MOST IMPORTANT. I can live without owning a fully automatic weapon....and besides they only reason to own one really is just for the "Fun factor". Where as I NEED 50 state reciprocity. I want to be able to travel to Illinois and Chicago (and D.C. New York, California, etc.), and be able to carry and protect myself if need be.
Agreed, but I believe that's something Congress has to do. I was just thinking it's be nice for a bit of pure, unadulterated freedom to come back to the American people via a Presidential pen-stroke for once. No long debates on TV involving screeching and virtue signaling from morons from the other side for weeks and months before an action. Just --boom-- done.

I just feel like the longer something hangs in the air, the more time the little subversives in the GOPe and (D) have to undermine something good.
Old 28 April 2017, 20:16
Confirmed User

I took one of my grandsons to a range in Mississippi during this last Christmas holiday. It was quite crowded, so my grandson was on my left about 7' away, and a couple of young men were 7' to my right.

The guy on the right had an AR pistol (semi-auto). The first time he fired it next to me it went to full auto, until the mag emptied almost immediately.

The range is state owned and run by the Mississippi Fish and Wildlife folks. The range master stopped the firing when he heard the full auto (not allowed on this range) and came over to inquire if they were shooting a machine gun. Well, not intentionally. He had just bought it and was firing it for the first time and was as surprised as everyone else.

Good times. Mississippi is of course a "constitutional carry" state.

The range master is a very nice guy. He laughed and suggested that he take it back to where he bought it before he got in trouble.

Switzerland and Israel - where everyone has a machine gun or two in their closet. :)
Old 28 April 2017, 20:32
Policeman Officer

Not so in Israel.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 29 April 2017, 12:04
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Agreed, but I believe that's something Congress has to do.
And as I've said before, we do not want Congress getting involved. To force reciprocity at a federal level, you have to trigger the Supremacy Clause. Accordingly, it is necessary to enact a comprehensive regulatory scheme that pre-empts state laws that are less restrictive than the proposed federal legislation. This means you just handed the keys to the kingdom to Diane Feinstein and her ilk when political winds change.

Regarding executive action to abrogate the effect of the Hughes Amendment to Title 18, Section 922, I'd be interested in seeing the source of that information. I've seen nothing in 18 U.S.C. 922(o) that suggests POTUS could circumvent it. The Hughes Amendment (section 922(o)) outlawed transfers of machine guns or possession thereof by non-governmental persons if the machine gun was manufactured after the date of the 1986 amendment. There's no temporal constraint or grant of executive discretion.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36

Our new posting rules