SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 May 2018, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
The only thing bad about that idea is that, once you reinvent the wheel, and start a really good boys club, the same assholes will come along, and file their lawsuits, and fuck it up again.
Fable of The Duck and The Hens, which i first heard during the spring jamboree after earning my arrow of light and becoming a big boy scout.

There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue. - Edmund Burke

Back to the shadows...
Old 7 May 2018, 07:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The problem with the BSA was the same parasite filth paid "professional leadership" that most all nonprofits have. Volunteers and interns do most/all the hard work, and these filth make 6 figure salaries. And can't wait to throw out any/all standards, traditions and policies of the organization in order to signal their own virtue to progressives. S/F....Ken M
That defines our experience to a 'T'..
Old 7 May 2018, 10:06
Administrator

Quote:
The problem with the BSA was the same parasite filth paid "professional leadership" that most all nonprofits have. Volunteers and interns do most/all the hard work, and these filth make 6 figure salaries. And can't wait to throw out any/all standards, traditions and policies of the organization in order to signal their own virtue to progressives. S/F....Ken M
Agreed. So you keep funding at the local/grassroots level. You never take a dime from .gov. When the leftists infiltrate, you fire their ass or kick them out. Set the org up from day 1 with that in mind.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 May 2018, 11:01
Make a desert and call it peace.

Yeah, any org not explicitly anti-shitlib inevitably gets subverted.

Quote:
Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people":

First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.

Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.

The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.
The prime purpose of all those BSA full time professionals is fund raising to cover their salary, not anything to do with scouting. It's that simple.

Also relevant:

https://www.amazon.com/SJWs-Always-L.../dp/9527065682

Also, the rules of scale come into effect. Once something becomes too large, it spirals out of control as "leadership" becomes insulated and protected from the membership. Look at any large corp or the USG for prime examples of this. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 7 May 2018, 11:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
The prime purpose of all those BSA full time professionals is fund raising to cover their salary, not anything to do with scouting. It's that simple.
I know several full-time Scouters and that's all they do: Fund raising and looking for large donations from various folks that have been innovated with Scouting in the past or have given in the past.

They also do some stuff at the Troop level but their bread and butter is money.
Old 7 May 2018, 11:16

I know, I have friends that have kids in scouting, they have independently brought up the same thing. One volunteer scout leader actually had a BSA staffer complain about the costs of an ambulance when a scout got hit with a large stick at some sort of event (kids being kids) ... complaining it was going to come out of the fundraising money...really.

It's not just BSA, it's probably the majority of all non-profit/charity type organizations. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 7 May 2018, 11:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

It's not just BSA, it's probably the majority of all non-profit/charity type organizations. S/F....Ken M
Sad truth.
Old 7 May 2018, 11:44

Yeah, America has a real problem with freeloaders and parasites. S/F....Ken M
Old 7 May 2018, 18:32
BTDT

Quote:
A few years ago the local chapter tried to sell off one of the camps so they could fund salaries and pay off their new million dollar headquarters building. They got shut down but it shows where their heads are at.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 7 May 2018, 18:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
A few years ago the local chapter tried to sell off one of the camps so they could fund salaries and pay off their new million dollar headquarters building. They got shut down but it shows where their heads are at.
Too many non-profits today. And too many of them are more about benefiting the people at the top than their "target audience", just like the Wounded Warrior Project. For the longest time I wondered (being simple, direct, and honest) why all the veteran charities didn't combine in to one giant charity to maximize their value and influence. Someone on here (SB I think) pointed out how many COOs, CEOs, etc., would be out of a job if this happened.
Old 7 May 2018, 19:38

Although I'm sure there are many fine non profits out there.....it seems more and more all they are are just giant slush funds/money laundering organizations for political fuckheads of the leftist variety. ACORN/Clinton Foundation/TIDES Foundations/funneling migrants to Europe/etc etc etc.
Old 10 May 2018, 22:27
Spice Weasel

Just read that yesterday the LDS Church formally announced its termination of its relationship with BSA. Nearly 20% of its membership just gone. I have to wonder if some of the large "legacy" donors from that group will modify the charitable trusts through which they have been making gifts.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 10 May 2018, 22:50
Been There Done That

In many ways the LDS church had already had its own scouting program, in the sense that their troops were always exclusively LDS members and not much association with non LDS troops.

Many in LDS leadership also failed years ago, when they did not speak out against, and even agreed with, the BSA retreating from their anti-gay stance. That started the downfall - compromise. Which they were silent on due to the fact that their troops were exclusively LDS , so as not had to deal with it s anyway. But let the BSA fail, so they could thus eventually break off take control of the BSA or form a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:18
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
freeloaders and parasites.
Luvenalis was right when he shouted Panem et circenses and no wonder Roman crowd adopted it so readily. Human nature is human nature. Only in modern developed countries bread and circuses do not apply always to the lowest dregs of society. Oh no, you can find such people everywhere. Freeloaders in suits differ from freeloaders in rags only in their appearance. Rest remains the same: get as much as I can for myself and my pals, and then après nous, le déluge.

It's hard to root such people out because it requires a collective, concentrated and sustained push from the grassroots and if the top dogs from the gov't won't lend their hand the entire attempt might fail miserably. Since governments love the "don't rock the boat" ideology, usually nothing happens unless someone shows the gov't that they have a dog in this fight and they can get a quick win out of this.

And you can always stumble upon a guy who unoffcially has his back covered by head honchos. A cal. 90 pezzonovante in disguise. Because, when a position allows for holding and executing power and milking money from people, I don't believe it could be occupied by a completely random parasite dude, maybe only in case when said random dude is just a puppet of someone else, a point man primed to take the shot if things go south. IMHO in most cases all of these guys are interconnected. Dog does not eat dog when it's them vs citizens/average Joes and Janes.

Our new posting rules