SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 May 2018, 20:10
The atomic zit

I’ll ask when I see my best friend’s mother and father in December. It will be their 50th.
Old 9 May 2018, 20:25
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
We had been together for a long time, but hadn't gotten married because Nancy couldn't find three days on her calendar for the wedding. When she called to tell me that she had just scheduled our wedding at a beautiful little chapel in Abq., I was taken aback, as I had just gotten off the phone with my doctor who had informed me that I had prostate cancer.

I didn't want to marry my best buddy, until the cancer issue was resolved. At that time we would be able to assess our future in light of the results. To make this a short story, that evening over dinner we had our frank discussion, re the fact that part of me might never work properly again. She just looked at me and said "No Terry we are going to get married". That set me back on my heels, as I expected her to be reasonable about this. I explained all over again why we could not get married. Same response from Nancy. Three times I explained myself, and each time received the same response from my best buddy.

At this point I was exasperated and frustrated and , I told her she was being totally unreasonable, what did she know about cancer, anyway? She reached across the table, took my hand and said "Terry I am a Doctor, of course I know about cancer. My first husband, George died of cancer".

"We are going to get married so I can take care of you!"
No other way to say it, that's bad ass.
Old 9 May 2018, 20:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Some sage advice here for a guy who got married yesterday.
Congrats on both marriage and daughter!
Old 9 May 2018, 22:42
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
"We are going to get married so I can take care of you!"
That's a keeper right there!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 May 2018, 19:54
Confirmed User

Been married 14 come June4th. Probably last year we are going to be married. Wish I would have both had better guidance in being married. One huge failure is failing to communicate.
We are probably going to just finish up after my youngest graduates HS June 6..
I should write a book, seriously. Hindsight is 20/20.
But, congrats on the successful marriages on this forum. Inspiration to all...
Old 10 May 2018, 20:58
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Some one will ask how long have you been married I just state over 40 years, all I remember is the day an month we got married. We had our up an downs. She took care of me when I was sick, an now I take care of her. When I had been down range for awhile, an when I got home, when the kids were younger, they stayed with grandma, for a few days Its one day at a time, you make mistakes, she made mistakes we get mad at each other, let thing cool off, an work thing out. The hard part was having (4) females to deal with. Female stuff
Old 11 May 2018, 08:49
BTDT

I married my high school sweetheart in January of 1988; she subsequently followed me across the North American continent and back again over a career that include 25 years in Special Forces. She raised my three kids with very little help from me since I spent most of my time in the military deployed around the globe. She has tolerated all of my faults to the point of making me feel guilty for getting perturbed at hers...

I have know idea how to make a marriage work but my wife has some sort of marriage super power that could defeat the entire Marvel super hero Universe.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 16 May 2018, 06:44
Been There Done That

35th Anniversary today! I married a great woman. Raised 3 kids and left a lot of responsibility on her while I was away doing HOOAH shit. Tough on a gal with a Corporal's paycheck.

Low key day for us. No extravagant plans. Do what we usually do...stay hidden from society and enjoy time with each other.

Her only request...stay off of SOCNET today. It will be tough but quite reasonable for a country gal who asks for little.

See ya tomorrow!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 16 May 2018, 10:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
35th Anniversary today! I married a great woman. Raised 3 kids and left a lot of responsibility on her while I was away doing HOOAH shit. Tough on a gal with a Corporal's paycheck.

Low key day for us. No extravagant plans. Do what we usually do...stay hidden from society and enjoy time with each other.

Her only request...stay off of SOCNET today. It will be tough but quite reasonable for a country gal who asks for little.

See ya tomorrow!
But you were on here today ; ) - so you fucked that one up ; )
Old 16 May 2018, 10:51
Administrator

Quote:
35th Anniversary today!
Congrats. That's an accomplishment.

Is she still driving that brown Bronco II?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 16 May 2018, 11:11
Another pool cleaner

Let's see if he replies today.
Old 16 May 2018, 11:14
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've been homebound after a back surgery and my Wife left Sunday to go to the beach. Thank God. I have a great marriage, but we had WAY too much togatherness the last couple of weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...........
Old 16 May 2018, 11:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I've been homebound after a back surgery and my Wife left Sunday to go to the beach. Thank God. I have a great marriage, but we had WAY too much togatherness the last couple of weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...........
I always thought was absinthe.
Old 16 May 2018, 21:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
See ya tomorrow!
Smart man. 35 more!
Old 16 May 2018, 21:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Let's see if he replies today.

Old 22 May 2018, 00:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I thought it was 'abstinence makes the hard grow stronger'
Old 22 May 2018, 03:24
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Everything takes effort. So does marriage. You don't put in the effort, it won't work.
Old 22 May 2018, 06:16
Drawing my cutlass

Don’t be afraid of the fights, which will happen, it’s where honest communication occurs.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 22 May 2018, 08:19
Authorized Personnel

Marrying someone completely compatible with you works as well:

Wife, at lunch on Sunday: "Know why they (5 dudes at a table eating with their wives) don't take their ball caps off to eat? They're peasants and don't deserve respect. I don't respect any of the guys at my work because they all wear their hats inside, even when they are in the kitchen eating"

Same day: "Let's go buy an AR, I want to take photos with it and trigger people on Facebook."

Yesterday (calling me on the phone from a job site): "Umm, someone here before me didn't flush the toilet, now if I call the realtor she's going to think it was me and it's overfilled with the seat up and I don't want to flush it or it will overflow. What if I just say I didn't show up. I don't want anyone to imagine I left that nasty dookie. What kind of trash doesn't flush the toilet?"

I mean fuck, that's like my top three right there.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I don't respect any of the guys at my work because they all wear their hats inside,....
I love her.

Pet Peeve of mine, too.

Always think of this clip from the Sopranos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules