SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 6 August 2013, 10:19
Been There Done That

I grow cilantro in a 'herb pot' by itself in straight MiracleGro. I water it once a week unless it rains.

currently it is about 2.5 feet tall and flowering...
Old 6 August 2013, 10:22
Been There Done That

Okayyyyyyyyy,

made some pickles a couple of weeks ago with the Ball Dill Pickle mix in a pouch.

7 jars 'regular' and 5 jars spicy- HH6 tried them when she got home from FL and said the 'regular' dills were too salty ( they ARE pretty salty)

and the spciy pickles will strip your throat- I put a couple ornamental peppers in each jars

any ideas about the 'regulars?

I guess were could do the home recipe instead of storebought pre-mix...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 3 September 2013 at 21:19.
Old 6 August 2013, 11:19
Been There Done That

I wish I just had some pickles.......
Old 6 August 2013, 13:18
Confirmed User

Thanks Ranger M. Well I am glad to know that because we have had too much rain...

As far as the pickles I never use a mix. I use my aunt's recipe that's foolproof or as she likes to state they are Idiot Proof Pickles. I can post it if you like.

This year we have only put up jam we didn't get a garden planted but so far we have put up blackberry, blueberry, concord grape, jalapeno and peach jam.
Old 7 August 2013, 21:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Naw... my wife won't roll over.
Besides; to be perfectly honest, both of us like to have the deer around. I highly doubt that I would shoot that buck.
I hear ya, I wouldn't shoot my bucks. We like having them hang around too. But the herd of 14 locust......i mean does, probably needs a little thinning.
Old 8 August 2013, 06:02
Morte et une dame

We JUST found out that it is not just a buck; a twin was spotted!
I didn't know that does could have twin bucks.
I understand that bucks don't hang together; am I close?
Old 8 August 2013, 21:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
We JUST found out that it is not just a buck; a twin was spotted!
I didn't know that does could have twin bucks.
I understand that bucks don't hang together; am I close?
Sorta, they might hang for awhile, or with some younger does. But eventually after mom/bigger buck kicks them out they will find their own turf. But..... that is usually only leading up the rut. Bucks and does will mix when not in the rut. Natures way of keeping the inbreeding down. I've seen some yearlings hang around, but there is a larger buck around that claims that turf.
Old 9 August 2013, 05:52
Morte et une dame

Thank you; I didn't know that the bucks would hand together for even that long. These are but 'spike antler' bucks; must be young... we see them growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRJN View Post
Sorta, they might hang for awhile, or with some younger does. But eventually after mom/bigger buck kicks them out they will find their own turf. But..... that is usually only leading up the rut. Bucks and does will mix when not in the rut. Natures way of keeping the inbreeding down. I've seen some yearlings hang around, but there is a larger buck around that claims that turf.
Old 3 September 2013, 21:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I always grow my own tomatoes, or did, until I moved to San Diego. I've had success with them in the ground and in the hanging bags back east.

I don't get enough goddamned hot sunny weather here to grow them. Last year I got a few piddly grape tomatoes out of the four vines I tried planting.
With the heat this past week in Southern California, my tomatoes have started to fruit well. Being a little inland helps, along with the heat wave. Only had about four large heirloom tomatoes till now on two large plants; have about 20 on the vine right now within the last 10 days and more blossoms continuing to turn into fruit.

On the other hand, my carrots have done great through the year. Just harvested one grow bag with two dozen Purple Dragon carrots. I think I'll seed a grow bag every month with carrots so I can have a continual harvest through most of the year.
Old 3 September 2013, 21:15
On the Extract Bird

Is horse manure considered organic? LMBO

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 3 September 2013 at 21:21.
Old 3 September 2013, 21:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNSniper JDS View Post
Is horse manure considered organic? LMBO
It's about as 'organic' as you can get.
Old 3 September 2013, 21:26
On the Extract Bird

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
It's about as 'organic' as you can get.
Count me in then....I just sowed about a pound each of redtop turnip greens and collards! Everything else cept'n the maters has just about fizzled!
Old 5 September 2013, 14:19
Been There Done That

The results

Here is some of the stuff we've canned from the gardencanning.jpg

9- 1/2 gallons pickles
6-1/2 gal spaghetti sauce
14 pints salsa

48 ears of corn- not pictured
Old 5 September 2013, 14:32
On the Extract Bird

Yep...the wife has been busy here too....if these cabinets don't come crashing down...we'll make it through this coming winter! LOL
Old 5 September 2013, 15:34
Morte et une dame

The leaves are 'turning', there are 'scattered frost' warnings for tonight, the harvest is bountiful, but there are fewer and fewer leaves in the garden.
BUT... all is not lost; I prepared my turkey breast sandwich with a little 'snap' this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotsie-totsie.jpg (36.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 5 September 2013, 15:54
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Here is some of the stuff we've canned from the gardenAttachment 25210

9- 1/2 gallons pickles
6-1/2 gal spaghetti sauce
14 pints salsa

48 ears of corn- not pictured
That's nice, had I known I would have so many cukes this year I would have done some pickles. Next year....

I have 12 quarts of tomato's canned. Much less than I hoped for. Too much rain.

Either this weekend or next I'll be doing some salsa.....
Old 30 June 2015, 09:40
Confirmed User

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but came across it while searching for something else.

Has anyone gotten into Permaculture gardening? Really got into reading about it while in Afg and came home to start setting it up on my place.

The basic premise involves planting in a integrated manner - so the plants kind of work in cooperation with each other - insectary (to bring pollinators and predator bugs), nitrogen fixers and green compost (to avoid using chemicals and transport), ect.

Planted comfrey, echineachia, chicory, as well as asparagus, horseradish, goosberry, hazelnut, grapes, blueberries, currants, goumi, apple, peach, blackberries. All perennials as well as a perennial herb spiral.

My one big failure so far has been in trying to get mushrooms established.

Also, creating features such as rainwater harvesting swales, and huglekulture mound.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Old 26 July 2016, 16:13
Confirmed User

Sorry for another thread necro

I know some of yall grow peppers. I have a very healthy happy habanero plant, and a very healthy happy serrano plant, each in their own half whiskey barrel with a mix of miracle grow potting soil, and miracle grow compost.

Using neem oil, and Captain Jack's Dead Bug for controlling beasties (both as prescribed on the label).

Give them a bit of bone meal once a week.

Let the absurdly rainy weather in May and early June handle the hydration. July has been hot as fuck, temperatures getting into the high 90's with swamp humidity (typical for Houston) and occasionally breaching 100.

My conundrum - it's been about a month since the pepper fruits themselves have seen any growth. Images below show their current size (and size of the plants themselves), the single solitary habanero is massive, but has been that size since mid June. The plants themselves seem to be growing happily, and the beefsteak tomato plants are growing like a weed using this same setup (though, no flowering) .
A month without seeing any growth of the fruits themselves is a bit odd, no? Is it something I'm doing, is it simply the temperature? (the plants are, expectedly, dropping flowers in this heat). I've seen a few places online mention harvesting the runts to encourage flowering - I only planted these in April, transplanted to the larger containers early June, and this will have been the first harvest.

The googles don't yield much other than people expecting their full-size peppers to ripen in a week and being impatient. A month though? The serrano plant has four peppers - the alpha dog, then three runts, which eventually caught up to the alpha dog, and themselves stopped growing. The habanero plant just has that one massive pepper (~2.5 inches for a habanero is friggin huge).

Is this expected due to the heat or something? I'm at a loss. Any ideas those of yall more experienced might have, I'm all ears, whether I need to adjust my watering regimen, or just be patient given the heat wave.

Old 26 July 2016, 19:04
Old and Grumpy

Too much fertilizer on peppers will encourage plant growth versus the growth of the peppers.
Old 26 July 2016, 20:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Wife and I knocked down 19 quarts of green beans this weekend. I picked and froze 2 gallons of blackberries. Blueberries in about a week. Tomatoes and potatoes in about two weeks.

Our new posting rules