SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 26 July 2016, 21:24
In Vino Veritas

You grow your own Skoal
Old 26 July 2016, 21:52
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Wife and I knocked down 19 quarts of green beans this weekend. I picked and froze 2 gallons of blackberries. Blueberries in about a week. Tomatoes and potatoes in about two weeks.
Are you freezing tomatoes??
Old 26 July 2016, 21:54
Shakin' the bush Boss

No, we can most things. We freeze berries and cabbage. Everything else gets canned.
Old 27 July 2016, 11:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Too much fertilizer on peppers will encourage plant growth versus the growth of the peppers.
I've read that regarding nitrogen.
But bone meal once a week shouldn't be upping the nitrogen. That's where I'm confused. I've never added anything but bone meal to the soil, which should up the phosphate and calcium, about a tablespoon once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
You grow your own Skoal
Anything I can do to please Gaia .
Old 2 August 2016, 21:25
Been There Done That

If you like boiled eggs, save the water, let it cool, then pour it on your tomato plants. Sulfur keeps away the bugs and the calcium helps the plants...
Old 2 August 2016, 21:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

Had the first half gallon of blueberries today. Most of which I promptly ate. I'll be able to shit thru a keyhole at 50 meters in the morning.
Old 3 August 2016, 10:09
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
If you like boiled eggs, save the water, let it cool, then pour it on your tomato plants. Sulfur keeps away the bugs and the calcium helps the plants...
Grinding up the egg shells and sprinkling them around the plants works as well.
Old 3 August 2016, 10:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

I made my wife a 55gal compost barrel. All the cabbage leaves and bad tomatoes and all that goes in it. Produces a product that smells remarkably like cow shit, but sure does help the plants.
Old 9 August 2016, 19:28
Confirmed User

Apparently, that was full size for both, because the fattest of the serranos started turning red 2 days ago, and the mammoth habanero started getting flecks of orange.

Around the same time the tomatoes blossomed their first flowers - I did nothing but cut back water, and treat the peppers and tomatoes all the same.

Can't pinpoint a damn thing I might have changed except that. Weather changed from mid 90's to the low 100's, can't see how that would have been a *good* thing. Maybe the plants just needed a bit of stress to get off their asses?

Need to get off my duff and figure out a good way to get the serranos preserved before they finish turning red - they're better green! May just make a slurry with salt and vinegar, don't have enough from this first harvest to make a decent fermented sauce, and without the tomatoes ready I'd have to resort to store-bought to make a salsa.
Old 14 June 2017, 15:49
Authorized Personnel

What are you growing ?

The growing season is here for most of us. Let's see those gardens. I am very interested in the crop diversity. I got a late start but growth will accelerate now as usual. I lay down construction paper, soak it to conform to the soil. Put in plants and then cover with straw and mulch. The prep. up front save a lot of time later as there will be no weeds whatsoever. It can simply be tilled in later in the fall as it will have broken down at that point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170601_191931.jpg (56.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20170529_132312.jpg (52.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 19 June 2017, 19:59

Had everything in ground, before last freeze date, and we had 6in. snow end of May. Northern UT can be challenging on freeze/frost dates. Lost almost everything; replanted.

Corn,sweet peas, tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, lettuce-ice and romaine-, squash, melons, and eggplant.

All looking good so far. My luck we'll have a July snowstorm. Haven't seen it snow in July or August.
Old 19 June 2017, 21:38
The Sagacious One

We have tomatoes, Broccoli cucumbers, yams, onions, peppers, carrots, thyme, oregeno, basil, Elderberries, asparagus, and the orchard has apples, pears and peaches. Pix below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170619_202320.jpg (134.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_202514.jpg (127.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 20 June 2017, 08:50
Authorized Personnel

Nice guys. TFG, beautiful man. You have a lot going on there. Fruit trees to boot. Do I see marigolds ? To repel unwanted visitors/pests ? General location TFG ? Let's post pics every so often to monitor growth and harvest.
Thanks for responding.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
We have tomatoes, Broccoli cucumbers, yams, onions, peppers, carrots, thyme, oregeno, basil, Elderberries, asparagus, and the orchard has apples, pears and peaches. Pix below.
That is just outstanding...and the marigold companion flowers keeps the bugs away and helps with pollination...
Old 20 June 2017, 12:46
The Sagacious One

HH6 works relentlessly to kill the grass and plant flowers. There are plans of a new garden shed with an attached green house. She has been studying tirelessly to see what plants keep the bugs away as well as natural bug repellents. Apparently the rabbits do not like hot sauce, soap and (something else). She publishes harvest pix on her FB page, I will transcribe as appropriate.
Old 20 June 2017, 13:48
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
HH6 works relentlessly to kill the grass and plant flowers. There are plans of a new garden shed with an attached green house. She has been studying tirelessly to see what plants keep the bugs away as well as natural bug repellents. Apparently the rabbits do not like hot sauce, soap and (something else). She publishes harvest pix on her FB page, I will transcribe as appropriate.
We're working on the same for our garden here. Wouldn't mind seeing the plans for the green house when you're done.

We are trying out mint, citronella and catnip near the house to keep some of the pestering insects away (mosquitos). I've heard of using flowering plants and roses help to keep away some of the other pests, except beetles, and help to pollenate the vegetables as well.

For some reason I can't get my habaneros started. All of my other peppers are sprouting like crazy.
Old 20 June 2017, 13:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Be sure to plant garlic and dill...grows easy and is a natural repellant. I think next year I am going to start growing shrooms...not those kind.
Old 20 June 2017, 14:00
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
not those kind.
Riiiiiigggght.

Want natural bug control, get a few chickens. They are relentless.
Old 20 June 2017, 14:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Riiiiiigggght.

Want natural bug control, get a few chickens. They are relentless.
Hahahahahahahahaha....fucker. And I agree about the yard birds completely.
Old 20 June 2017, 14:08
Shakin' the bush Boss

You can put the 'shrooms between the rows of hippie lettuce.

Our new posting rules