SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 July 2015, 11:24
BTDT

I'm just happy that no matter WHAT party is in the White House, and no matter WHAT the seated president does, we will always be able to blame the LAST opposition party president for the problem, or at worst, justify shitty performance because a previous guy "did it too"

...go USA
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 July 2015, 11:28
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post

....and tying hands in terms of ROE and a weak response when the Marine barracks were bombed.
Precisely.

The ROE was fucked and our "response" after the fact was virtually non-existent.

Personally, it wasn't until after his death that I was finally able to forgive Reagan for that shameful episode.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 14 July 2015, 11:30
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
I'm just happy that no matter WHAT party is in the White House, and no matter WHAT the seated president does, we will always be able to blame the LAST opposition party president for the problem, or at worst, justify shitty performance because a previous guy "did it too"

...go USA
Billy:

I need to buy you a beer someday!
Old 14 July 2015, 11:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Made me want to puke when POTUS was doing his speech.

I have full faith Iran will follow the treaty to the letter.
I was on the treadmill when it started. I turned to Parking Wars on A&E when the speech started...
Old 14 July 2015, 11:52
Confirmed User

As a member of the sheepfold, out here where the stupidity level is at maximum every day, I see how this crap can continue. The general population really is stupid. Seriously stupid. Just the fact of a second term should prove that. People believe whatever the news caster tells them. The systematic destruction of this country is well underway and now we're hugging and kissing the enemy like they're puppies in a basket. Iran is just one small aspect of the destruction coming. Just look around (the over age 45 crowd) and tell me this is the same country we grew up in.

0699, glad you didn't break a leg jumping off that treadmill! Speeches by that man broadcast like mind control is just one more reason I'm proud of not paying for television, LOL

praise God and pass the ammunition
Old 14 July 2015, 12:12
Been There Done That

I listened to a bit. Stating that anyone who didn't walk lockstep with him and his admin were fools ( I got the feeling that that was what he was saying, but I have a somewhat biased view) and the Iranians were an honorable party in this. The Iranians have been living under sanctions for quite...some...time. The only threat BHO et al can come up with is RENEWING sanctions that the majority of the country pretty much GREW UP under? Yeah...scary. "Don't do what we want and you'll get what you've had". Tough talk.
Old 14 July 2015, 12:13
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Didn't Iran pretty much crap their pants when he was inaugurated?
No... they cheered for Reagan when he won the election... but not because they liked him.
They just really hated Carter and celebrated his defeat.
they deliberately held the release of the hostages until after Carter was officially out of office as one last farewell "fuck you" to Carter.

Carter was the great Satan ...they eventually hated Reagan too.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 14 July 2015, 12:33
33,024 - R.I.P.

I'm wondering why they didn't negotiate the release of the Americans that are still being held captive over there. Must have been a pretty good deal to forego that minor detail. Oh yeah, and screw Herman Munster Kerry. He's been a traitorous fuck since Vietnam.
Old 14 July 2015, 12:48
Newbie shooter

Quote:
I'm wondering why they didn't negotiate the release of the Americans that are still being held captive over there. Must have been a pretty good deal to forego that minor detail. Oh yeah, and screw Herman Munster Kerry. He's been a traitorous fuck since Vietnam.
This.

- Local
Old 14 July 2015, 13:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
No... they cheered for Reagan when he won the election... but not because they liked him.
They just really hated Carter and celebrated his defeat.
they deliberately held the release of the hostages until after Carter was officially out of office as one last farewell "fuck you" to Carter.

Carter was the great Satan ...they eventually hated Reagan too.
As usual, I think you are coming out of left field. Can you back that up, please? No, I'm going to fucking research it. Provide some facts instead of hearsay and perhaps you'll sway an opinion or two.....
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 14 July 2015, 13:12
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
100% Agreed.
I am still sifting through the details before condemning this deal... but that is a big one.
I am very troubled by not seeing the release of Americans being held as part of this deal.

the only thing I am hoping for is that maybe it is part of the deal and it is not being announced deliberately so Iran can save face and, in a few days, announce that they have suddenly decided in the spirit of good will to release them.

I don't care who gets credit for releasing them, so long as they are released.

If they are not released pretty damned soon, i am calling bullshit on this whole deal

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

-- Mark Twain

--Groucho Marx
Old 14 July 2015, 13:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
As usual, I think you are coming out of left field. Can you back that up, please? No, I'm going to fucking research it. Provide some facts instead of hearsay and perhaps you'll sway an opinion or two.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octobe...spiracy_theory

I think the US Govt negotiated to hold the hostages until after the election, not that Iran did to "fuck you Carter."

Congress "investigated" and said it didn't happen, but former Iranian President Abulhassan Banisadr, former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir, former Naval intelligence officer and National Security Council member Gary Sick; and former Reagan/Bush campaign and White House staffer Barbara Honegger—have stood by the allegation.

I have also heard the Iranians released them once Reagan was inaugurated because they were scared to death of him - which is nonsense. All he had done up to the point of being elected was make speeches. Good speeches, but speeches, no action.
Old 14 July 2015, 13:18
Confirmed User

If what I read is factual, it will take a veto proof majority in congress to block this and that is unlikely to happen.

For me, the questions I have now is what will Israel do?
What will we do if Israel takes matters into their own hands?

I don't expect Israel will be a passive spectator as Iran builds a nuke.
Old 14 July 2015, 13:41
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Well a deal has been struck. I guess we don't have to worry about Iran anymore as we are all buddies now.

Forget about:

The Marine barracks bombing in Beirut
The embassy bombing in Beirut
James Dozier kidnapped, tortured and executed
A dozen others like Dozier
The American Embassy in Tehran
And how many US dead in Iraq due to the constant supply of EFPs from Iran?

King Obama and Queen Kerry say it's all good now. Rest easy.
You did not mention the proxy strings they pull in countries throughout the ME.
Old 14 July 2015, 13:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
If what I read is factual, it will take a veto proof majority in congress to block this and that is unlikely to happen.

For me, the questions I have now is what will Israel do?
What will we do if Israel takes matters into their own hands?

I don't expect Israel will be a passive spectator as Iran builds a nuke.
I read the same thing I think. Congress has 60 days to mull this over and vote. if they vote it down POTUS has already said he will veto it, then goes back to the house and senate and need a 2/3 majority to over ride the veto.

Israel is going to be the 800 lb. gorilla in the room on this. I don't see them idly sitting back and letting the mullahs cook up a bomb.
Old 14 July 2015, 13:46
Been There Done That

Iran will not put the hostages/prisoners/peons on the table until the Treaty is ratified...
Old 14 July 2015, 13:47
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
No, I know exactly what I mean, which is why I wrote it that way....
OK, don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Ordering U.S. Marines to Beirut to act as fucking peace-keepers.
Yes, POTUS Reagan did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
As I recall, Carter admitted to having "lust in my heart." Wasn't that to Playboy?
Yes, it was Playboy.

http://willrabbe.com/microblog/2011/...interview.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
....and tying hands in terms of ROE and a weak response when the Marine barracks were bombed.
First, I was not there. I was AD but nowhere near that mission. All I can do is read after action reports and listen to those that were present. Maybe a SocNet member with insights WRT the ROE can shed some light? A military commission investigating the Beirut bombing reported to the Reagan administration and Congress on lax security. The commission found that senior military officials were responsible for security lapses and blamed the military chain of command for the disaster. It suggested that there might have been many fewer deaths if the barracks guards had carried loaded weapons and a barrier more substantial than the barbed wire the bomber drove over easily.

POTUS Reagan might have had something to do with the ROE, but the official DOD report says this....

"The Commission also found that the MAU Commander shares the responsibility for the catastrophic losses in that he
condoned the concentration of personnel in the BLT Headquarters building, .concurred in the relaxation of prescribed alert procedures, and emphasized safety over security in directing that sentries on Posts 4, 5, 6, and 7 would not load their weapons."

DOD 1983 Beirut Bombing Report

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/Fre...gDoDReport.pdf

Back to the Iran situation, not only has this administration replaced Carter as the worst president, I'm afraid that they have also replaced Chamberlain for worst diplomatic deal.
Old 14 July 2015, 13:50
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
This is a link to part four of the video documentary Guests of the Ayatollah
All four parts are a great documentary, including interviews with the hostages. members of the Carter administration, and members of the Iranian revolutionary guard, including some hostage takers.
This shows hostages telling how they hostage takers celebrated Carter's defeat in the election and how they waited on the runway until Carter was out of office

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

-- Mark Twain

--Groucho Marx
Old 14 July 2015, 13:52
Been There Done That

Since we are giving Iran everything but the kitchen sink on this deal I know we wouldn't use this baby, but maybe slide it to Israel on the sly.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...69_634x476.jpg

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Rep...ks-fail-396130
Old 14 July 2015, 14:00
Confirmed User

Is there a plausible way congress could delay ratification until after the elections?

Our new posting rules