Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 August 2015, 16:35
On the Extract Bird

With how you say you will be riding, a 1200 would be perfect. Like someone else said its all in your comfort. Riding becomes an addiction and if you go too small you will be disappointed with a HD. I'm am gonna throw up a bit, but Honda makes some pretty nice rides too man. The Goldwing is like a damn Caddy.

The Sportster is an awesome bike and I know plenty of brothers who have modified them for their Club bike for getting to point a to b in a hurry. If you are planning on dropping 500 mile plus at a time a cruiser is much more comfortable.

Again it's up to the individual, and what makes them comfortable and safe.
Old 27 August 2015, 18:17
Confirmed User

IMO nobody is really being clear enough. Just saying 882 or 1200 is not enough. HUGE differences between the carb'd and injected models and the solid vs rubber mounted sportster models. A carb'd, solid mounted, 1200 is like a diesel powered tank compared to an injected, rubber mounted 1200.

To the OP; whatever you do, narrow your search to only harleys with rubber mounted drivetrains (this will exclude all version of the softail). Everything else will fall into place.
Old 27 August 2015, 18:23
Been There Done That

After two (2) back surgeries I can't take the pounding any longer.
So I'm looking at one of these: http://campagnamotors.com/products/t.../configure-one
Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't a HD. And it's made in Canada.
You do what you have to do to have a modicum of enjoyment in your advancing years.
Besides, HH6 wouldn't consider getting astride a HD. In one of these, perhaps it would be a party.
Old 27 August 2015, 18:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
After two (2) back surgeries I can't take the pounding any longer.
So I'm looking at one of these: http://campagnamotors.com/products/t.../configure-one
Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't a HD. And it's made in Canada.
You do what you have to do to have a modicum of enjoyment in your advancing years.
Besides, HH6 wouldn't consider getting astride a HD. In one of these, perhaps it would be a party.

Have you checked out this:

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/spyder.html

I have an older neighbor, wit the same type of issues. He got rid of his HD and now has one of these. It is pretty bad ass actually! And according to him is a very smooth and controllable ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27 August 2015, 18:47
Supporterator

Folks who dick measure via cubic inches are as the OP said,generally not worth the time of day. The most fun I ever had on two wheels was on my old SV650, which most will say is woefully underpowered. Didn't feel that way on the Tail of the Dragon.

Just like the TSA-employed chick who told me that '9mm is for pussies' shortly before she demo'd her total lack of respect for gun safety rules by flagging me with her loaded, unsafed 911.
Old 27 August 2015, 18:50
Been There Done That

much like guns...any question about bikes has to start with...

what is your budget

With that said I grew up on dirt bikes and transitioned right to superbikes. I will tell you that for me I used to look down on someone dropping 25k on a Harley. Thats what Ducati R and S superbikes cost. 1950's tech in harley, can't get out of their own way, steer like a barge, slow, shit for brakes, etc etc

until I rode a newer street glide... Harley has come along way since 2000 but I've noticed a real jump quality in the last 5 years. I think that is because Victory has pushed them.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...ck-red-stripes

quite the bike for a cruiser and the cash point
Old 27 August 2015, 20:22
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

My wife has a 1200 Sportster SEII (Same frame and overall dimensions as an 883). It's stupid fast... think 0-60 GSXR/CBR kind of fast while accelerating. My only objection to it is that I can't stretch my legs on it. She's 5'4" and it fits her perfectly. She's ridden 300 or so mile trips at 70MPH on it without comfort issues. For me, it feels like I'm riding a sport bike (and the pegs are pushed all the way to the end of the frame). I'm only about 6' tall.

I've been riding a 2000 Dyna Wide Glide for a while, and it fits me like a glove. It's got great suspension and a nice Corbin seat, so long rides are a breeze. When you put my bike next to hers, the frame is easily a full foot longer, and it's mostly in front of the rider. I can stretch out and ride without the need for highway pegs.

A friend of mine has a Victory 8-Ball that's a lot of fun to ride. You also can't really go wrong with a Honda Shadow (dollar for dollar probably the best value in a bike), or one of the larger Vulcans. You might also be surprised at the pricing on a used Gold Wing too.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.

Last edited by Bravo_One_Three; 27 August 2015 at 20:32.
Old 27 August 2015, 20:31
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspillk9 View Post
I think if you went with Indian or Triumph you would eventually want a Harley, just my opinion.
I won't buy and Indian because I can't justify the cost and I don't like the looks, but that's one bike you can own and never consider owning anything else. FWIW though, Indian is -also- a subsidiary of Polaris.

Those big block Triumphs are also pretty bad-assed bikes. They are smooth as glass on the highway.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.
Old 27 August 2015, 20:54
Moonracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_One_Three View Post
I won't buy and Indian because I can't justify the cost and I don't like the looks, but that's one bike you can own and never consider owning anything else. FWIW though, Indian is -also- a subsidiary of Polaris.

Those big block Triumphs are also pretty bad-assed bikes. They are smooth as glass on the highway.
To the OP...Agree on the Triumphs...The Thunderbird series, especially the Storm, was a serious contender when I was shopping around.
I still believe your budget and the feel while sitting/riding will greatly narrow your choices. Comfort and your style should be your primary focus... they all come with Mods and options that you can later add.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 27 August 2015, 21:10
Moonracer

Double tap

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 27 August 2015, 21:14
On the Extract Bird

If I wasn't a HD diehard I would probably get a Big Dog or go even deeper in to the private makers. Most of them use either a HD or S&S engine so it is the stuff around the engine that makes them comfortable (or not). The S&S Titan 117 (Mastiff) is a badass!
Old 27 August 2015, 21:43
0311/8651

If you ride an Indian you will sell your HD. You get more bang for the buck with an Indian. Don't have any problems with Polaris. A dealership is about to open in Norman,Ok,that will make 3 dealerships in OK.like the cruise, ABS.stock seat fits great. Went to KCMO in June, cruised the OK/KS turnpike,smooth as silk-the engine is a beast,
Old 27 August 2015, 23:18
Time is a flat circle

Victories are good bikes in my opinion. I have a High Ball and love it.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 27 August 2015, 23:41
REMF

Buy a bike from Wisconsin or somewhere that the riding season is really short. You can find GREAT deals on bikes with low miles. Buddy of mine bought a V-Rod with less than 3500 miles on it. Saved a shit ton of money.
Old 28 August 2015, 06:30
A/1/75

I have a Heritage Softtail and like it.
My BIL has a 883 and has no trouble keeping up with me over the Mountains. Only issue he has is adding a passenger. Just not a lot of room there and it's a tiny seat.

Charlie
Old 28 August 2015, 08:02
Doc McNasty

I currently own a HD Road King, and a Triumph Thruxton 900. I have owned 2 Honda Shadows in the past - one in the 80s when they 1st came out with the shaft drive, and another (1200) in 2008.

If you like the Shadow, and it fits your feet, knees, ass, back; your hands feel good on the grips - get it. That bike is 100% performance out of the box. No modifications or extra $$ necessary to sex it up, or juice up the rpm's. It's a hot bike, and it is relatively maintenance free. There is absolutely no cost of ownership comparison between that bike and the others you like - they're not even in the same league.

So why did I jump to the Road King? I wanted more oomph underneath my ass, and Harley's hold their value far better than Hondas. I also got a great deal on it.

Ask yourself, do you want the bike for transportation, or for a hobby? There are a metric shit-ton of aftermarket add-ons for Harleys, and that's part of the appeal. We all tweak our bikes to look a little different, to have it's own personality. You won't really get that with a Honda. What you will get is 20K mi/yr without ever seeing a mechanic.
Old 28 August 2015, 08:10
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Have you checked out this:

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/spyder.html

I have an older neighbor, wit the same type of issues. He got rid of his HD and now has one of these. It is pretty bad ass actually! And according to him is a very smooth and controllable ride.
I just did an all-day benefit ride for Habitat, and in my group of 20 was an old Swabbie who was a die-hard HD guy from the 60s. He's on a cane full time, but can't give up riding. He tried the HD trikes and hated them, one ride on the CanAm, and he was back in the saddle. When we had a battery prob in the group, he reached into his side bag and pulled out cables. When someone ran out of gas, he pulled out a gallon container. This guy had his tunes, his coffee, and his knees in the breeze.

Its not for me (yet), but seeing the smile on that old busted up brother's face cured my doubts . Very viable option IMHO.
Old 28 August 2015, 08:42
Puttin' on the foil

I'm hoping to stay around $5k for the bike but have a little extra I can throw at it if I find one I can't walk away from.

I definitely like the look of the Victory cruisers, the Vegas, Gunner and the Hammer. There is a victory dealer near me where I can sit on some and hopefully get a test ride if I find something that feels right.

Anyone have experience with the Yamaha Star Bolt? It has a similar look as the Sportster.

I've got quite a few to actually sit on and see how that goes, based solely on looks. I'm hoping this will narrow the field down to 1-2 and then I can shop in my $5k range.

HD: Sportster, Low Rider to give a dyna model a shot as recommended
Victory: Vegas, Gunner, Hammer
Triumph: Bonneville, Speedmaster, America
Honda: Shadow

Last edited by EightyDeuce; 28 August 2015 at 09:11.
Old 28 August 2015, 10:39
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I have a Heritage Softtail and like it.
Same same here.
Old 28 August 2015, 10:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
I just did an all-day benefit ride for Habitat, and in my group of 20 was an old Swabbie who was a die-hard HD guy from the 60s. He's on a cane full time, but can't give up riding. He tried the HD trikes and hated them, one ride on the CanAm, and he was back in the saddle. When we had a battery prob in the group, he reached into his side bag and pulled out cables. When someone ran out of gas, he pulled out a gallon container. This guy had his tunes, his coffee, and his knees in the breeze.

Its not for me (yet), but seeing the smile on that old busted up brother's face cured my doubts . Very viable option IMHO.
Nice write-up. Made me smile.

Our new posting rules