Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 August 2015, 10:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
I just did an all-day benefit ride for Habitat, and in my group of 20 was an old Swabbie who was a die-hard HD guy from the 60s. He's on a cane full time, but can't give up riding. He tried the HD trikes and hated them, one ride on the CanAm, and he was back in the saddle. When we had a battery prob in the group, he reached into his side bag and pulled out cables. When someone ran out of gas, he pulled out a gallon container. This guy had his tunes, his coffee, and his knees in the breeze.

Its not for me (yet), but seeing the smile on that old busted up brother's face cured my doubts . Very viable option IMHO.
I think they are the coolest thing out there. Looks like something out of a sic-fi movie or Batman comic. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy one to cruise around with myself. The Polaris Slingshot is pretty cool as well, but I would take the Spyder over it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 August 2015, 10:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I think they are the coolest thing out there. Looks like something out of a sic-fi movie or Batman comic. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy one to cruise around with myself. The Polaris Slingshot is pretty cool as well, but I would take the Spyder over it.
I saw a great big fat bull dyke riding one in Ramsay, MT the other day, pulling out of a gas station, smoking a cigar, no helmet.
Old 28 August 2015, 10:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
..... no helmet.

Dumb ass.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 28 August 2015, 11:08
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
I'm hoping to stay around $5k for the bike but have a little extra I can throw at it if I find one I can't walk away from.

I definitely like the look of the Victory cruisers, the Vegas, Gunner and the Hammer. There is a victory dealer near me where I can sit on some and hopefully get a test ride if I find something that feels right.

Anyone have experience with the Yamaha Star Bolt? It has a similar look as the Sportster.

I've got quite a few to actually sit on and see how that goes, based solely on looks. I'm hoping this will narrow the field down to 1-2 and then I can shop in my $5k range.

HD: Sportster, Low Rider to give a dyna model a shot as recommended
Victory: Vegas, Gunner, Hammer
Triumph: Bonneville, Speedmaster, America
Honda: Shadow
The only thing that's even close to $5K is the Shadow, and you're going used. I sold my VERY low mileage Shadow Spirit for $5500 back in 08, and I took low money to move it. The good news: I reiterate my earlier comments on total cost of ownership. That bike will rarely, if ever, cost you a dime more outside oil/tires/brakes.
Old 28 August 2015, 11:33
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
The only thing that's even close to $5K is the Shadow, and you're going used. I sold my VERY low mileage Shadow Spirit for $5500 back in 08, and I took low money to move it. The good news: I reiterate my earlier comments on total cost of ownership. That bike will rarely, if ever, cost you a dime more outside oil/tires/brakes.
Definitely going the used route here. Looking on cycle-trader for an idea on price, I have seen multiple 2009+ Sportsters in the $5k range. Just trying to stay away from chrome as much as possible.
Old 28 August 2015, 12:25
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Yup, go used, don't worry too much about how the bike looks (customization), rather just focus on the milage and the maintenance. Then -- no matter what -- don't do a fucking thing custom-wise to that bike for a solid year. Just engine mods, if you want.

After a year, you will have a much better grasp of the direction you want to go for the look of your bike, and you'll spend far less money on it....
Old 28 August 2015, 12:27
I aim to misbehave

I've ridden coast to coast, more than once, on a 750 Honda Shadow. I now own a vintage Harley. My first 'real' bike was a Sporty I built from a rolling frame.

Simple answer to 'what kind of bike should I ride?' is this:

A reliable, comfortable motorcycle I like the style of.

While true:
Continue
Old 28 August 2015, 12:44
A/1/75

Harley Chrome is not the best, so it's good to stay away from.
My bike is garaged, other than wash and a few rain rides, never been wet. The chrome is showing tiny rust spots.

Charlie
Old 28 August 2015, 13:13
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Yup, go used, don't worry too much about how the bike looks (customization), rather just focus on the milage and the maintenance. Then -- no matter what -- don't do a fucking thing custom-wise to that bike for a solid year. Just engine mods, if you want.

After a year, you will have a much better grasp of the direction you want to go for the look of your bike, and you'll spend far less money on it....
Good thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I've ridden coast to coast, more than once, on a 750 Honda Shadow. I now own a vintage Harley. My first 'real' bike was a Sporty I built from a rolling frame.

Simple answer to 'what kind of bike should I ride?' is this:

A reliable, comfortable motorcycle I like the style of.
I definitely wouldn't pick a bike that I didn't fit right on just because I thought it looked cool. When I was riding sportbikes I was dead set on getting an RC51 because I thought it was the sweetest looking rocket of all time. After riding my brother in laws I hated it. The seat was basically a mouse pad and the ergonomics for me was like being on a torture rack. The R6 fit me like a glove and that's what I ultimately ended up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Harley Chrome is not the best, so it's good to stay away from.
My bike is garaged, other than wash and a few rain rides, never been wet. The chrome is showing tiny rust spots.
That's exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want to spend time polishing chrome when I could just wipe the thing down, and go. I know some guys like to spend hours polishing exhausts and every inch of their bike, it's just not something I'm in to. Plus I think blacked out stuff looks cooler
Old 28 August 2015, 17:17
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
no helmet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Dumb ass.
This week Mixed Load and I saw a guy that had just gone down (he was still under the bike but people had stopped and were rendering aid), no helmet. Made me rethink putting a new battery in my bike.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:07
This space for rent

Harley has a blacked out bike. Looks pretty cool when you put a ton of chrome on it!!

I had a Fatboy and tricked it out and loved it, until I started getting a little older. I sold it and am buying an Ultra Classic this week. I like the bagger style bikes a lot better. More confortable and they have a cool holder for my coffee.

I am not a motorcycle snob, but I would stick with HD for no other reason than resale value. You can get used ones in the $10k range, ride them a few years, and sell them for $10k. Don't let the chrome scare you away. I find the HD chrome to be the best there is. The bike I am getting (from a family member) is chromed out and has been for 7-8 years and still looks new. What a LOT of people do is buy the cheaper chrome accessories from Japanese manufacturers like Kuryakn. You can hold a Japanese piece of chrome in one hand and an HD piece in the other and even a novice can tell the difference in quality.

I am not an HD spokesman and have a strong dislike for the company as a whole, but their resale bikes hold their value really well.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:42
A/1/75

Maybe so, this is my first "Chrome" plated bike so I have no comparison other than what I expected it to do.

My bike was backed into and the fenders & tank had to be replaced. They came direct from HD as it had special factory paint that only they could reproduce. Got it back and rode it for a year and all the decals started peeling off. They forgot to clear coat it.... guess what, HD nor the dealer would cover the cost to fix it as I had signed for it when I got it back and did not note the issue then.
So I don't hold HD high on my list.

But I digress. I do like the blacked out bikes.

Charlie
Old 31 August 2015, 09:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic68whiskey View Post
A bike is a personal thing though, I just would hate to see someone buy something and a year later not like it.
Isn't that what most of people do?

After a year or so IMO, it's only natural to see shortcomings in what ever you have.

If you buy right and keep it shiny, you should be able to trade without losing your ass.

Be safe.
Old 31 August 2015, 10:44
REMF

Lots of good advice. For your first one, buy a used one for sure. Most likely, that bike will not be your dream bike anyway. Always buy from an individual too. That way you can see their garage and how well they take care of their toys. If they don't have maintenance records, run.
I've got a binder with document protectors with every single receipt and service record.
Old 31 August 2015, 10:53
Authorized Personnel

I've always recommended that new riders start out on a Honda Shadow 750 to see if they "enjoy" riding as much as they think they will...

The Shadow is probably the cheapest, most reliable bike I've ever owned (as my first bike), and everything after that has been "labor intensive" in comparison...

I rode the Shadow for my first year in the military, and with my second promotion, bought my first HD as I had a much better idea of what I was looking for...

Old age and a misspent youth have relegated me to the Cruiser world now, but I remember those 600 mile days on brutal bikes... I couldn't hack it anymore. Heck, the arthritis in the hands makes a two hour ride difficult these days, but I still enjoy burning the forearms...

Whatever you end up going with, be sure to share!
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 31 August 2015, 10:56
REMF

Honda Shadow engines are bomb proof. They will run forever with just fresh oil and routine upkeep. Honestly I've never heard of anyone having any issues with one.
Old 31 August 2015, 11:41
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Lots of good advice. For your first one, buy a used one for sure. Most likely, that bike will not be your dream bike anyway. Always buy from an individual too. That way you can see their garage and how well they take care of their toys. If they don't have maintenance records, run.
I've got a binder with document protectors with every single receipt and service record.
Not so much. I still have my first bike, 2006 Heritage Softail Bought brand new from HD and I'll I've done is added apes, exhaust, and lowered it. Nothing more nothing less. I say if you know what you want go for it.
Old 31 August 2015, 15:46
A/1/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I've done is added apes, .
Please don't tell me you have the mirrors under them....

Charlie
Old 31 August 2015, 16:21
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Please don't tell me you have the mirrors under them....
That would be ghey. They are on top and 100% totally useless
Old 31 August 2015, 16:25

I agree with alot of the posts to go used, inexpensive, and reliable. I am on my fourth bike now, a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage and love it! But i started out with a lemon then gradually bought my way to my dream bike. When you start out cheaper to build your interest in riding and end up at a newer and nicer ride you gain alot more respect for the hobby and will have more pride in your ride.

Our new posting rules