SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 July 2017, 12:47
Confirmed User

Soldier charged in Humvee freefall

Remember the video of the Humvees free falling during an airdrop? One soldier gets charged for destruction of property. 3 humvees on 3 different aircraft and only 1 person gets charged? isn't there a loadmaster on each aircraft?

LINK

VICENZA, Italy — A sergeant with the 173rd Airborne Brigade has been charged in connection with the spectacular destruction of three Humvees that plummeted to the ground from a C-130 during a parachute drop in Germany last year.

Sgt. John Skipper was charged with destruction of government property and making a false official statement, brigade spokesman Maj. Juan Martinez said Tuesday.

Skipper, of the 1st Battalion, 91st Cavalry Regiment, was charged in May, Martinez said.

A recommendation on whether to proceed to court-martial following an Article 32 probable cause hearing later that month is pending.

“Should this case progress, we will continue to release information consistent with Army policy,” Martinez said in a statement.

The charges suggest authorities believe that an equipment malfunction was not the reason the three vehicles slipped from their parachute harnesses.
Old 7 July 2017, 13:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

I don't know the specific details, however, from the video it appears that the bundles came apart during chute opening, leading to equipment destruction. The loadie is not responsible for the integrity of the bundles. Since the bundles were on separate aircraft, it appears that the fault is not with the JMs on the birds. You can do the process of elimination from there as to why they are charging 1 soldier.
Old 7 July 2017, 14:02
Confirmed User

What was this guy's MOS? I don't think he was a rigger.

I'm wondering how the joint air load inspection missed the defect if it was external to the parachutes themselves.

Would like to read the malfunction report.
Old 7 July 2017, 14:12
Old Scroll

If I'm hearing this right, the vehicles came off their pallets under (partial) canopy, falling to the ground?

Never done a heavy drop before... doesn't the unit do the compressible packing and strap-down to the pallet, followed by the riggers adding the parachute(s) to the load out?

Not seeing a single point of failure that they could really pin the rose onto unless this is something really, really slick (and malicious, too)

Someone could have gotten killed out there.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 7 July 2017, 15:10
Holy Diver

It's odd they don't mention his MOS. I never did big drops like this in the Navy, biggest I was ever involved with wearing my rigger hat was a MK5 Zodiac. Single point failure in rigging is almost unheard of though because literally every critical step in the process has to be inspected by whoever is the head rigger and the packer and inspector cannot be the same people. So this is odd. Wondering if it was a malicious move on someone's part after the Humvees were already packed/ inspected.
Old 7 July 2017, 15:32
Six Minutes!

As a (former) C-17 Load, I've dropped a few dozen Humvees. Our inspection primarily covers how the load interfaces with aircraft equipment- PDM placement, SELB, strap routing/securing on the floor EFTC, etc . We take a signed JI sheet at face value for the most part.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 7 July 2017, 15:46
Been There Done That

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
It's odd they don't mention his MOS. I never did big drops like this in the Navy, biggest I was ever involved with wearing my rigger hat was a MK5 Zodiac. Single point failure in rigging is almost unheard of though because literally every critical step in the process has to be inspected by whoever is the head rigger and the packer and inspector cannot be the same people. So this is odd. Wondering if it was a malicious move on someone's part after the Humvees were already packed/ inspected.
Ditto.

Did a number of rubber ducks and every time it was a slow process getting everything rigged up. Riggers went step by step with the book open. Never had one frap in.

But no mater how well we rigged it when the chute popped open a number of sandbags got thrown lose. Heads up

Yeah, he did something after they were rigged.
Old 7 July 2017, 16:13
BT,WBTWC

I wonder if the voices on the video are by those "in the know" if not responsible for the three vehicles free falling. It seems that that at least one person is expecting in advance for one or more loads to go boom.
Old 7 July 2017, 17:09
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I recall seeing that video when it first came out, there seemed to be an air of expectation to what occurred. I thought I heard, faintly, somebody say something to the effect of "isn't there one more" after the first two malfunctions.
Old 7 July 2017, 18:10
BTDT

Its been decades, but back in the day as they say, the dropping unit provided a detail, usually out of the S&T Platoon, to go to the Heavy Drop Rig Site and stay with the vehicles until they were pushed off of the K-Loaders onto the birds. They loads get rigged at HDRS, moved by flatbed to ADACG, JI'd, then pushed off of the flatbeds onto the covered loading docks at Green Ramp. Once the K-Loaders were free, they would show up, loads got pushed from the loading docks onto the K-Loaders, then taken out to the birds and loaded. The detail usually stayed on the birds with the loads until Station Time, then broke any chemlites (before the Stiner Aids were adopted) and headed to the DZ to continue as parachute detail.

If someone wanted, they could easily slice rigging while loads were sitting under cover at the loading docks, and it would be hard to tell who, since the loads could be going to any number of different aircraft, and the detail usually was f%#king off over in the shade while the loads sat. I imagine today, the detail's faces are buried in their cell phones.

If its done anywhere near like this still today, the only way a non-rigger would likely get caught, which is VERY likely, is the perp, or his accomplice(s) couldn't keep their trap shut.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 7 July 2017, 21:15
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I recall seeing that video when it first came out, there seemed to be an air of expectation to what occurred. I thought I heard, faintly, somebody say something to the effect of "isn't there one more" after the first two malfunctions.
"Come on baby, burn in" is heard just before the first vehicle leaves the pallet.

Wasn't an accident, and I hope they can prove who did it.
Old 8 July 2017, 00:16
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
"Come on baby, burn in" is heard just before the first vehicle leaves the pallet.

Wasn't an accident, and I hope they can prove who did it.
I have not studied the video closely, but I did not get the impression that anyone know this would happen ahead of time.

Anyone who thinks that the reaction of the troops heard on the video is inappropriate either does not understand the military mindset, of has been out of uniform for so long they have forgotten how folks in the .mil react to like incidents.
Old 8 July 2017, 00:32

Seems to me that the hooting and hollering was just the average joe who enjoys watching a good shitshow unfold. Soooo......typical soldier.

Not sure what "burn in" means.
Old 8 July 2017, 00:37
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Not sure what "burn in" means.
Standard Army vernacular for an item or individual falling to earth after an uncorrected or unrecoverable parachute malfunction.
Old 8 July 2017, 00:48

Gotcha. I guess with that in mind it appears (to me at least) that the commentator was just your typical guy who was wishing for something to go wrong with the equipment drop so he could watch some stuff get smashed up.

I guess it could possibly be suspicious due to the fact that he says "burn in" exactly when that particular vehicle gets released from the plane..........which could be construed as "he knew with high confidence that something was supposed to go wrong with that particular piece of equipment".
Old 8 July 2017, 01:20
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Gotcha. I guess with that in mind it appears (to me at least) that the commentator was just your typical guy who was wishing for something to go wrong with the equipment drop so he could watch some stuff get smashed up.

I guess it could possibly be suspicious due to the fact that he says "burn in" exactly when that particular vehicle gets released from the plane..........which could be construed as "he knew with high confidence that something was supposed to go wrong with that particular piece of equipment".
I'm still on Active duty. I can't imagine personnel in the Army that are responsible for the safe conduct of a heavy equipment drop knowingly/intentionally rigging for a failed drop. Sure, PFC Snaplink and PV2 Slingrope might think it would be funny, but they aren't on the blame line. Anybody who could be on the blame line would be senior enough and smart enough to know the risks and possible consequences for such a thing.
Old 8 July 2017, 01:52
Time is a flat circle

This kinda shit don't happen in LEG land.... Just saying

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 8 July 2017, 03:06
Livin' On Blues Power

Somewhere in the comments of that video someone claimed it was a disgruntled soldier had sabotaged the rigging on 3 different aircraft.

Only burn in I witnessed was our 2 zodiak boats from a c-130 drop at san antonio lake in central ca. Big Bear wouldn't let us drop them here. Main g12 chute failures if I remember right. Beginning of RAMZ drops in 1980 i think it was. 4 top of the line mercs and all sank. I went back years later to hunt FHL and asked if anyone ever recovered the boats or motors and the park security said no.

The worst part was one boat almost hit a boatload of drunks who refused to clear the DZ. When the park ranger came out in his boston whaler to chew us out the C-130 had come around and tossed the d bags out and they skipped off the water and nailed that boston whaler, it was ok.. The cop jumped in the lake, uniform and all to avoid getting hit. Talk about madder than a wet hen, we had to go fish him out. Lt. got a long azz chewin from the FHL commander over that calamity.
Old 8 July 2017, 07:31
Been There Done That

"I will be sure...ALWAYS!...sort of...I suppose."
Old 8 July 2017, 11:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrogTX View Post
"I will be sure...ALWAYS!...sort of...I suppose."
naw it's

"fuck it, it'll open"

However the malfunctions were rigged I'm betting it was done after the loads were completely rigged but before they were put on the aircraft. The HUMVEES may have sat around rigged up for a day or two waiting for the operation. This Skipper guy may have been assigned to guard them and that's when it was done.

Like I said earlier, I'd like to see the malfunction report, JAI should have caught this.

Another thing, $200k for a HUMVEE? Me thinks the taxpayer is getting screwed on that one. I know people that work in that plant, for the most part they are some of the laziest union fucks you'd ever meet. And they pretty much only hire friends and family to keep the union going.

AM General did just sell the old H2 plant right next door to the Chinese too.

Our new posting rules