Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 July 2017, 12:06
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Another thing, $200k for a HUMVEE?
Up-armor HMMWV will run about $220k slick (slick as in no other gear on board). If it had other equipment in it (comms, etc), the cost can climb pretty quickly well north of $300k.
Old 8 July 2017, 13:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

Anyone who thinks that the reaction of the troops heard on the video is inappropriate either does not understand the military mindset, of has been out of uniform for so long they have forgotten how folks in the .mil react to like incidents.
This.

Hell I think every time we watched a heavy drop we were chanting "burn in, burn in, burn in" under our breaths.

I mean watching a Bradley or HMMWV parachute in is cool, watching it LAPES in is cooler, watching it burn in is fucking awesome.
Old 8 July 2017, 14:25
Old Scroll

Sheridan light tank tumbling down Sicily after a too-high LAPSE, everybody in the stands (ROTC summer camp demo day) was cheering and hooting it up, so Yes, Absolutely, I can relate to the commentary on the video being that of uninformed simple observers.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 July 2017, 15:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

Anyone who thinks that the reaction of the troops heard on the video is inappropriate either does not understand the military mindset, of has been out of uniform for so long they have forgotten how folks in the .mil react to like incidents.
Except for us riggers, we'd be thinking "oh shit, I hope my name isn't in that logbook or on the paperwork"
Old 8 July 2017, 15:44
Authorized Personnel

Disposing of malfunctioning equipment has been around for quite a while, we had a 3/4 that didn't like to start, it stayed on a demo shot.

The idea of possibility having to pay for government property never crossed our minds.
Old 8 July 2017, 16:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Two of the more memorable ones I can recall were a MARTOC package (arctic field hospital) that went in on a remote jump west of Anchorage and a PJ wave runner rescue craft that burned into the gulf of Alaska. The MARTOC was still usable after it hit, thanks to about 6 feet of snow on the DZ, the wave runner, not so much.

An ad for the wave runner ended up on craigslist, "low miles, only dropped once" which for some reason the leadership didn't find as humorous as the rest of us. We were sitting in -60 on a ridge about a half mile away from the MARTOC drop and had a front row seat for that one. It was, as they say "visually impressive".

Glad no one was recording our reaction to that one.
Old 8 July 2017, 19:58
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I guess there's a lot to be said for the soldier's cheering just because it was out of the ordinary and somewhat awesome to see a piece of equipment get smashed on a drop.

I know there were plenty of things we got cheap thrills from simply to break up the monotony of the day, especially on a long deployment. Me and another guy in my section thoroughly enjoyed going down to our garbage pit with a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of gas, saturating the garbage with the first 5 gallons and lighting it and then shortly thereafter kicking the other 5 gallons into the burning pit, bucket and all, to get that satisfying "whoomp" of the gas going up.

I think in some respects we all have a little pyro in us.

Still, how unusual is it for 3 pallets of equipment to come unglued on one drop operation? I figure it's something that is pretty rare given all the various safety checks for even one to plow into the ground, much less 3 in the space of a few minutes.
Old 8 July 2017, 23:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I know there were plenty of things we got cheap thrills from simply to break up the monotony of the day, especially on a long deployment.
I've heard that on a twin screw ship, when you throw a garbage bag off the stern, if you time it right, you can get the bag to bounce around the prop wash and follow the ship for miles before it kicks loose and floats away.

Not that I was ever so bored as to verify that this information is actually true....
Old 9 July 2017, 16:11
Un-confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I think in some respects we all have a little pyro in us.
Like burning off the extra "cheese charges" left over from a 4.2in mortar live fire FTX...good times!
Old 9 July 2017, 16:38
Old Scroll

^^^ 8" M110A2 SP howitzer powder burns after a BN ARTEP, in a rather high wind, and the guys get frisky and light the line of powder charges WITH the wind

Even after several days of driving rain, the ground for 20 meters in either direction wasn't only dry afterward, it was smoking...

Pyromania is a common affliction of the military

It's a small step in direction, but a huge step in (lack of) responsibility, to go from burning powders incorrectly to screwing with a heavy drop...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 9 July 2017, 22:20
Livin' On Blues Power

Some more calamity on the DZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEoXPuf1L4
Old 9 July 2017, 23:47
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Some more calamity on the DZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEoXPuf1L4
I was just getting ready to post that exact video. Never gets old.
Old 10 July 2017, 00:39
Confirmed User

At rigger school they'd usually play old VHS tapes of various malfunctions while we were on break. Some crazy shit.

I think a CCT I knew was working on the LAPES for the one that went real bad at Bragg many years ago.
Old 10 July 2017, 08:21
Old Scroll

^^^ Where the 130 came swooping down too fast, misjudged rate of descent, bounced, and crashed?

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 July 2017, 09:16
Been There Done That

Here is what I dont get, after the second one burned in why didnt the DZSO call a no drop.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 10 July 2017, 09:42
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Here is what I dont get, after the second one burned in why didnt the DZSO call a no drop.
Wasn't CV in the 173rd? Hmmmmm.
Old 10 July 2017, 10:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
^^^ Where the 130 came swooping down too fast, misjudged rate of descent, bounced, and crashed?
Yes, if I remember correctly there were 3 guys in a jeep at the end of the LAPES zone (where they weren't supposed to be) that wanted to get some cool pics that ended up getting killed too.
Old 10 July 2017, 23:28
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yep, that question needs to be answered too.
Old 11 July 2017, 00:50
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
I've heard that on a twin screw ship, when you throw a garbage bag off the stern, if you time it right, you can get the bag to bounce around the prop wash and follow the ship for miles before it kicks loose and floats away.

Not that I was ever so bored as to verify that this information is actually true....
On a sub during normal garbage discharge operations, if you take a trash disposal unit can, don't put the bag in it like normal, fill it with tied shut condoms (stretched out and aerated, but no need to inflate), and launch it, the little floaties will come out through the holes in the can and burst during their ascent. It makes a sound like firecrackers that will totally mess with whoever is manning the sonar shack as well as attract the attention of annoyingly noisy marine mammals.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 11 July 2017, 03:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
On a sub during normal garbage discharge operations, if you take a trash disposal unit can, don't put the bag in it like normal, fill it with tied shut condoms (stretched out and aerated, but no need to inflate), and launch it, the little floaties will come out through the holes in the can and burst during their ascent. It makes a sound like firecrackers that will totally mess with whoever is manning the sonar shack as well as attract the attention of annoyingly noisy marine mammals.
I hated seeing the size of the sharks that would follow our ship and eat the garbage we threw overboard. That alone made never want to go overboard or have to abandon ship.

Our new posting rules