Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 January 2018, 13:26
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The fat lady isn't singing yet...

...but she's warming up in the wings.

My Blackhawks are on the ropes right now, and it's beginning to look like this will be the first time in a decade that they didn't make the post season. I'm sure there are a lot of hockey fans who will not miss their presence, given that they've been in the hunt for so long.

It goes without saying that Corey Crawford is the missing link, he's kept them in more games than I can remember over the last several years. But it's pretty clear that the window of opportunity for the core group that has brought so much success to this team is starting to show its age.

They got pasted by the Islanders last night 7-3, and at this point I'm adjusting my expectations and starting to look at a playoff picture that doesn't include the Hawks. In some respects, this might be a good thing, even more of a wakeup call to Bowman that this team needs to build for the future instead of just plugging in players to fit with the current roster.

Lighting are playing lights out right now, and they had their struggles the last couple of years. So the time to think about rebuilding a core is now.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:35
Confirmed User

Mike Fisher is coming out of retirement and back to the Preds. It will be a few weeks before heís on the ice, but heíll be fresh and healthy for the playoffs. This seems like a sound tactic for older players: sit out the first half of the season and come back after the All-Star break for the playoff push.
Old 4 February 2018, 10:45
Confirmed User

Spinner, brother, I'm a Flyers fan, but even I would have had to root for the Islanders in that game.
Old 4 February 2018, 13:18

Philly has a good shot at gaining a wild card, it's a pretty tight race for that last spot. I expect that to see saw over the rest of the season, but they're sitting on it right now. So Philly fans have 2 reasons to be happy right now.

That's how it goes for dominant teams that have sustained success, at some point fans in general want to see some new blood (namely, their teams ) in the mix when the playoffs roll around. I totally get it, we've felt the same way about the Packers for a couple of decades now.

Who the Hawks are really missing right now aside from Crow is Marian Hossa, as old as he is that guy was still playing at a high level, somebody who could not be knocked off the puck. Not that it would make a difference this year, but his absence is notable.

Hawks still have an outside shot, but they need some help from a few teams ahead of them. That's 5 teams that I'd like to see go into an extended slump.
Old 11 February 2018, 14:41

Check out this unbelievable behind the back glove save by the Lightning's goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy last night.

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2/...-bay-lightning

That's something you don't see everyday.
Old 15 February 2018, 04:22
Livin' On Blues Power

Freakin blues. Up 3 zip over the Preds last night with just 11 mins to go and they crapped the bed again. Gave up a shorty to add to the indigestion.

MAybe I should change teams, them boys in Vegas look a lot better.
Old 15 February 2018, 14:38

I'm surprised you don't have anything to say about the Blackhawks long, precipitous fall from grace yet, spectr.

Probably just waiting until they are mathematically eliminated, so that you don't go nuts when somehow they crawl out of the grave and not only make the playoffs (I know, magical thinking on my part), but eliminate the Blues.
Old 27 February 2018, 14:03

What is this "selling" you speak of?

It's been so long since the Blackhawks have been sellers at the trade deadline, I almost forgot that sometimes teams will trade some players to prepare for the future.

Such was the case for a lot of teams yesterday, no surprise that Hartman got dealt, and Wingels is basically a rent a player until he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. He might make it back to Chicago.

What was surprising was what the Preds gave up for Hartman, I'd say the Hawks got the better of that deal, unless Hartman returns to something close to the form that he had when he first came up.

Anybody think their chances improved with whatever players your team added yesterday?
Old 27 February 2018, 14:17
Confirmed User

There was a lot of speculation that the Preds wouldnít make any moves, especially since Fisher was coming back. I think Hartman adds depth that they want for the playoffs. We got pretty banged up in the playoff push last year so that should help. The GM has hit some home runs the last couple of years with trades, so heís earned my trust.

They have a big one tonight vs Jets. Hartman and maybe Fisher will be on the ice.
Old 27 February 2018, 14:23
Been There Done That

I think the Pens made a huge mistake getting rid of Reeves, I think this is the first season Crosby had gone this long and not had a serious injury.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 27 February 2018, 14:26
Alone and Very Afraid

Regardless of who The Canucks get, I think we're in for many years of rebuilding. The fact that we're handicapped by the Sedin Twins who let's face it are starting their twilight years in the NHL.
we need a couple of really well rounded and professionally seasoned goaltenders. We Don't need another Roberto Luongo
Old 27 February 2018, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
There was a lot of speculation that the Preds wouldn’t make any moves, especially since Fisher was coming back. I think Hartman adds depth that they want for the playoffs. We got pretty banged up in the playoff push last year so that should help. The GM has hit some home runs the last couple of years with trades, so he’s earned my trust.

They have a big one tonight vs Jets. Hartman and maybe Fisher will be on the ice.
He's feisty and he can be a good presence out there, the only problem is that he takes some really stupid penalties, and that trait seems to have gotten worse as this season has progressed.

He committed a high stick when the Hawks were driving down the ice with a 2 on 1 the other night, and Quenneville sat him the rest of the game after he came out of the box. I think that may have had something to do with his being dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollux23 View Post
Regardless of who The Canucks get, I think we're in for many years of rebuilding. The fact that we're handicapped by the Sedin Twins who let's face it are starting their twilight years in the NHL.
we need a couple of really well rounded and professionally seasoned goaltenders. We Don't need another Roberto Luongo
Hawks are facing that same problem with a couple of their core members, Duncan Keith in particular. He still gets a lot of minutes and has the stamina for it, but he's slowing down and can be a detriment when he's up against faster players.

Toews is showing some signs too, although I doubt that Bowman will work a trade for him or Keith. Of course, Stan and his father may be gone at year's end, so who knows what will happen.

If Toews did wind up on the trading block, a logical team for him to go to would be Winnipeg, because he's from there, but they don't really need him at the moment.
Old 27 February 2018, 15:17
Alone and Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
He's feisty and he can be a good presence out there, the only problem is that he takes some really stupid penalties, and that trait seems to have gotten worse as this season has progressed.

He committed a high stick when the Hawks were driving down the ice with a 2 on 1 the other night, and Quenneville sat him the rest of the game after he came out of the box. I think that may have had something to do with his being dealt.

Hawks are facing that same problem with a couple of their core members, Duncan Keith in particular. He still gets a lot of minutes and has the stamina for it, but he's slowing down and can be a detriment when he's up against faster players.

Toews is showing some signs too, although I doubt that Bowman will work a trade for him or Keith. Of course, Stan and his father may be gone at year's end, so who knows what will happen.

If Toews did wind up on the trading block, a logical team for him to go to would be Winnipeg, because he's from there, but they don't really need him at the moment.
I'd like to see the 'Nucks bring more depth to both Lines, honestly being a 'Nucks fan at this point is really painful as I can pretty much guess the outcome.
Change starts with Management, coaching staff and then the players.
Old 27 February 2018, 23:48
Confirmed User

Hell of a game in Winnipeg with the Preds pulling it off 6-5. After a scoreless 1st period, things got crazy. Hartman is indeed feisty and had a good game, including the game winner with :58 left.
Old 28 February 2018, 13:47

Looks like a change of scenery (and playing with a team expected to go deep in the playoffs) is just what he needed.

Of course, you'll be cursing him after game 7 of the final when his stupid penalty loses them the game in OT.
Old 2 March 2018, 11:04
Confirmed User

Hartman had another assist last night. He could have easily shot on goal, but instead passed to Austin Watson, who had an open net. Heís shown a lot of poise so far and the Preds find themselves in first place in the west.

The officiating during the first period last night was the worst Iíve seen in a long to time.
Old 4 March 2018, 03:41
Livin' On Blues Power

Blues are in freefall. 10th now and out of the playoffs. Steen and Petro need to go. Those 2 are about to get the umpteenth coach fired. In our case, its not the coaching.

My friends tell me to take the pain.
Old 7 March 2018, 09:48
Confirmed User

Hartman with another game winning goal last night. The trade has been working out so far.
Old 7 March 2018, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Hartman with another game winning goal last night. The trade has been working out so far.
You haven't seen him yet when the stakes are higher, just wait.

Hawks are playing a little bit of the spoiler role right now, took one away from the Avs last night in OT. Checking the schedule I see that they have a few more opportunities to stick it to the Blues...so I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.
Old 14 March 2018, 11:00
Confirmed User

The Predators scored two short handed goals within 34 seconds last night. They are playing really well down the stretch (won 11 of 12) but the Jets are loaded and I donít look forward to meeting them in the playoffs. The key will be to stay healthy.

Our new posting rules