Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 March 2018, 15:47
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

This could be the Preds year, but first they'll have to do everything they can to avoid the curse of winning the President's Trophy (I know, it's more of a superstition than anything).

Of course, winning the trophy gives that team home ice throughout the playoffs, so it's a double edged sword, I guess. Damned if you do and all that.
Old 30 March 2018, 14:16

Here's a pretty cool hockey story in an otherwise dismal season for the Blackhawks.

https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-...?tid=277548856

For the second time in less than two years the Hawks had to go find an amateur club player to sign a one day contract after Forsberg got hurt during warmups and the backup goalie (whose name I didn't even know before this game) suffered an injury with about 13 minutes to go in the game. The emergency backup, Scott Foster, played hockey at Western Michigan during his college days and now plays locally in a men's league at Johnny's Ice House, which is where the Blackhawks used to practice before building their new training facility adjacent to the United Center.

So what does Scott Foster, mild mannered accountant by day and pickup club hockey goalie extraordinaire by night, proceed to do? Just play the game of his short lived professional life by stopping all 7 shots that the Jets put on net, thus preserving the Blackhawks 6-2 lead the rest of the way.

Great story, and as a bonus he was named the #1 star of the game, as well as receiving the belt reserved for the game's outstanding player. What a tale to tell your grandkids some day.

Here he is with "The Belt" which gets passed around to the top performers in any given game.

Last edited by Spinner; 30 March 2018 at 14:35.
Old 30 March 2018, 15:33
Confirmed User

Thatís a cool story. I didnít know about the emergency backup until a few weeks ago when my wife asked what happens if both goalies were injured.

Oh, and thanks for beating the Jets for us. Hopefully we can hold a seven-point lead with 5 games left.
Old 30 March 2018, 15:35
Policeman Officer

That's awesome.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 30 March 2018, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Thatís a cool story. I didnít know about the emergency backup until a few weeks ago when my wife asked what happens if both goalies were injured.

Oh, and thanks for beating the Jets for us. Hopefully we can hold a seven-point lead with 5 games left.
Hawks had to go with a club player (and Flyers fan) who they signed to a one day contract back in December, 2016 when Crawford had to undergo an emergency appendectomy the morning of the game.

Now the NHL requires every home team to at least have a backup goalie on hand during the home games in case the starter goes down, in which case the backup heads from the pressbox down to the locker room to gear up.

The goalie on hand can serve as the backup for either team, btw.
Old 4 April 2018, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Blues are in freefall. 10th now and out of the playoffs. Steen and Petro need to go. Those 2 are about to get the umpteenth coach fired. In our case, its not the coaching.

My friends tell me to take the pain.
These last few games must be driving you crazy, so close...yet so far.

And now the hated Blackhawks, wallowing in the mud at the bottom of the conference, are coming into town tonight to possibly play the spoiler role. Just 3 more games to make it work, with a little help from the Avs, and here come the Hawks to further dash your hopes.

That's what I've been reduced to this season spectr, looking forward to the Hawks playing at least a couple of good games when it counts to keep the Blues on the outside looking in.

Also, the Schamltz brothers, Nick and Jordan, face off for the first time in the NHL tonight. They've gone up against each other while playing in the AHL but this is the first time on the big ice.
Old 5 April 2018, 13:40

Nothing better than watching your team play for nothing but trying to spoil another teams playoff hopes. In a sense, for every team on the bubble right now, every game is a playoff game.

And St. Louis did themselves no favors last night, giving up a 3-1 lead and then losing the game in regulation with about 8 seconds left on the clock on a shot from the left circle by Duncan Keith.

I've seen the Hawks on the losing side of those goals, good to see them notch a win on the other side. Keith only had one goal before this all season, nice to see him add another in the worthiest of causes, keeping the Blues out of the playoffs.
Old 5 April 2018, 13:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Nothing better than watching your team play for nothing

I don't know what that's like.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 5 April 2018, 14:03

Until this year, neither did I! (I realize that came out sounding kind of stupid, it's been that kind of a year for the Blackhawk nation.)

At least for the last decade, before that the Hawks spent many years in the wilderness. In a lost season you look for bright spots, and watching the Hawks deprive the St. Louis Blues of a win when they most need it, with only seconds left on the clock, qualifies as a bright spot.

Their last game of the year is against St. Louis, which means they have another opportunity to stick a pin their balloon filled with hope.
Old 5 April 2018, 15:58
Life is simple, not easy.

The amateur goalie story (Scott Foster) was awesome and his post-game interview was very cool.

I am not much of an NHL fan but I have been building a fandom since the Las Vegas Golden Knights arrived. And they're doing really well, which means their merchandising is doing well here. I hope they do well in the playoffs, but I don't know jack going in to be honest.

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 5 April 2018, 18:00

It really is a great story, no doubt he'll be the recipients of many rounds of brewski in the years to come.

Back in the day, a lot of the teams either had regular players who at one time had played goalie, or perhaps somebody on the training staff had some goalie experience who could take the ice in case of an emergency. Can't think of another sport where somebody could be plucked from accounting department purgatory and thrust into the net for 14 minutes in a professional game. It's almost like those stories you hear about a rock band in a sold out show whose drummer falls ill or something putting out a call over the PA for somebody from the audience to fill in.

There's a limited edition t-shirt that they're selling right now, all proceeds going to charity. A very Hanson Brothers thing to do. They make a ton of appearances throughout the year, always to raise money for some worthy cause.

Old 6 April 2018, 09:23
Confirmed User

The Predators clinched the Presidents Trophy, but looking at recent history I donít think thatís a good thing. After reeling off 27 straight points, theyíve limped towards the finish line at 5-4-1. Winnipeg worries me and is on a 9-1 streak.
Old 6 April 2018, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
The Predators clinched the Presidents Trophy, but looking at recent history I donít think thatís a good thing. After reeling off 27 straight points, theyíve limped towards the finish line at 5-4-1. Winnipeg worries me and is on a 9-1 streak.
Like I said, it's a double edged sword.

Great that they get home ice throughout, but recent history has shown that winning the Presidents Trophy has been bad mojo. Of course, nobody in hockey is superstitious about stuff like that, right? Right??

The Blues stay alive with the Avs loss to the Sharks last night, but to say it is crunch time is an understatement. They have to face their nemesis, the Blackhawks, tonight. And then for the final game of the season they go up against the Avalanche tomorrow night. Both away games for the Blue Notes, and they're not playing all that well as of late.

We shall see.
Old 6 April 2018, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Awesome!

bravodelta: "If they start taxing lapdances, I think I'll call it quits and become a chaplain."
Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 7 April 2018, 13:31

Probably asking too much for the Hawks to push the dagger a little deeper into the Blues playoff hopes, they inched into the final wild card spot with their win last night.

They could seal it tonight with a victory over the Avs, so for one night only I am a rabid Avalanche fan. Go Avs!

An outright win for either team puts them in, but things get a little trickier if they go to OT and the Avalanche prevail, thus getting the two points that would put them at 95 but also giving the Blues a point which would result in a tie.

I'm sure there is a tiebreaker in place to settle things, I have no idea what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Awesome!
Maybe they can give him some sort of cameo walk on role in Affleck's sequel to The Accountant.
Old 7 April 2018, 15:08

Dunno if it's in this thread anywhere, but here's another backup goalie story from the 'Canes, good listen.
I posted it in Small Pleasures at some point.

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/1...anager-best-of

DaveP
Old 7 April 2018, 15:20

Cool.

That's 7.6 seconds more ice time than I'll ever get in an NHL game.
Old 8 April 2018, 13:27

Looks like Blues fans will have plenty of time to perfect their dance moves in the off season.

Old 8 April 2018, 14:26
Confirmed User

I was surprised to find out that because it was the backupís first appearance, he was not paid. I was hoping he would get one gameís worth of league minimum.
Old 8 April 2018, 17:38

The Las Vegas Golden Knights are in the playoffs beginning with the "I-15 Series" vs the LA Kings. Regular season series tied 2-1-1.

What are our chances of moving on?

Our new posting rules