SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 December 2017, 21:39
Confirmed User

When my sister was 5 months pregnant, she was out walking her Australian Shepherd (on a leash) through her neighborhood. As she turned a corner, she noticed a pit bull at the very end of the street. She simply turned around to go back the way she came to avoid the pit bull. That dog ended up running down my sister and her Australian Shepherd and attacked them both. It was a pretty bad scene and took several neighbors to stop the attack. Ultimately, my sister, her dog, and her baby (my now 5-year old niece) were fine, thank god. But several hospital and vet visits ensued not to mention a lawsuit and the dog being put down.
Old 16 December 2017, 21:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Had a buddy who had a well trained Dobie. He thought it was funny when he gave the command to attack and just as the beast was close to your throat he would call it off. I never saw the humor, it scared the shit out of me as the dog was well over 100 pounds. Warped owner.

I will not try to pet a Pit Bull or Dobie,
I would have shot that dog. I was bitten by a pit bull a while back. Although it was a warning bite, it won't happen a second time.
Old 16 December 2017, 21:47
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Had a buddy who had a well trained Dobie. He thought it was funny when he gave the command to attack and just as the beast was close to your throat he would call it off. I never saw the humor, it scared the shit out of me as the dog was well over 100 pounds. Warped owner.
Pardon the off topic here, but that reminds me of a friend I had in Africa that ran an animal preserve/shelter to protect certain species from poaching, etc.

He had a cheetah there that would always make an impression upon visitors. When someone new showed up and the cheetah noticed them, she would charge toward them at full speed. This obviously scared the hell out of the newcomer. Dude would just smile because he's seen it a hundred times. As the cheetah would get close to the subject she would hit the brakes, come to a stop, and simply walk away causally.
Old 16 December 2017, 22:20
Been There Done That

Why anyone would want the potential liability, or potential risk to their family or neighbors, is beyond me when as Mako as well stated, so many other breeds to chose from with no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 December 2017, 22:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
There are literally hundreds of breeds of dogs you could pick to own.
Agreed.

Pit Bulls aren't a "natural" dog either. None are besides true wild dogs; humans have been messing with dog genetics for a long long time just like we've domesticated horses, cows, goats, etc.

Over time many dog breeds have fallen in and out of favor for various reasons and humans have just bred/domesticated other breeds. One cannot separate the effects of human interaction of dog breeds. We aren't talking about a person's ability to choose, rather an animal that has gone through generations of backwoods breeding for fighting, abuse, and survival.

At some point, if the dogs are harming people across multiple spectrum, AND human dog owners that are shitty are protected (constitution and all) then it leaves only one logical choice - the pit bull must go. It's a mutt that's been abused by people and those choices made by people are coming right back in the form of karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama1979 View Post
When my sister was 5 months pregnant, she was out walking her Australian Shepherd (on a leash) through her neighborhood. As she turned a corner, she noticed a pit bull at the very end of the street. She simply turned around to go back the way she came to avoid the pit bull. That dog ended up running down my sister and her Australian Shepherd and attacked them both. It was a pretty bad scene and took several neighbors to stop the attack. Ultimately, my sister, her dog, and her baby (my now 5-year old niece) were fine, thank god. But several hospital and vet visits ensued not to mention a lawsuit and the dog being put down.
That's horrible. As humans we literally push wild dangerous animals to the brink of extinction, so we can walk freely without the fear of being eaten/attacked (wolves, bears) and yet as a society protect our own mistake (pitbulls). Maybe that's the deeper reason, wiping out Pit Bulls would be an admission at the sociological level of our own failure in some of these dog breeds.
Old 16 December 2017, 22:23
Been There Done That

There are over now a dozen cities / towns in Indiana that have banned , and rightly so imo, pit bulls.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 16 December 2017, 22:52
Confirmed User

in Butt Snort East texas where i live, it seems like every white trash idiot in a single wide has and breeds pitts. And the shelters are full of pitts, and most get put down because most rental properties will not allow pitts. But the rednecks keep breeding them, and trying to sell them to more white trash in single wides. They have decimated the local possum and coon populations. And the local rabbits.

I will not have a pitt around me or my property. They are pet alligators. When they bite, its a devastating attack. Potentially lethal.
Old 16 December 2017, 23:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfist View Post
in Butt Snort East texas where i live.......
The name fits considering how you describe the city!
Old 17 December 2017, 02:47
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

I have a blue nose pit, and he loves to be carried belly up like a fucking baby. By anyone and I mean anyone, including complete strangers. Only time I've ever heard him growl was at a moose.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 17 December 2017, 04:05
Been There Done That

Get rid of pit bulls and sorry ass humans will breed some other dog to do the same thing. The breed ain't the problem.
Old 17 December 2017, 04:46
I'm Johan and think I'm fooling everyone

One of the best advices I ever received was: always get a dog you can handle, both mentally and physically. I do believe some breeds require more work to make them toe the line, but the general idea is IMO the same.

Both male pitts I had were raised in a peaceful, stable setting. They were given love and attention but also knew they were not the ones calling the shots. One was an alpha so I gave him clear duties around the house plus had to reassert my dominance from time to time and all was well in the jungle. The beta saw the alpha get subdued so he basically wiggled his tail and obeyed without question.

I do believe some breeds require permits and psychological evaluation to own.
Old 17 December 2017, 05:02
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Someone said a pitty is the only dog that could kill an adult human but I beg to differ.

A Wolfhound could easily kill a human, after all they were bred as Warhounds. Yet they would have to be one of the best family dogs out. They also easily kill pitbulls and having witnessed that personally, I have extra reason to love the Wolfhounds ... other than my heritage

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 17 December 2017, 05:36
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
Someone said a pitty is the only dog that could kill an adult human but I beg to differ.

A Wolfhound could easily kill a human, after all they were bred as Warhounds. Yet they would have to be one of the best family dogs out. They also easily kill pitbulls and having witnessed that personally, I have extra reason to love the Wolfhounds ... other than my heritage

Cheers,
It is my post you are referencing. Not "could", but "had" would be a correction to note.
The data I analyzed demonstrated that no breed other than a pit had killed a human adult male that was not disabled or old, if I recall under the age of 50.

While you may be correct that a Wolfhound "could" possibly kill a capable male human, it has not happened or has not been documented and recorded.
There may be many species capable of inflicting injuries to a man that he will not survive, but as available facts that we can currently access have it, only a pit bull has shown itself to be in that specific category.

Be well, and give that Wolfhound a hug for me. I've only met one in my life and was very fond of it. A special breed, indeed.
Old 17 December 2017, 10:55
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Get rid of pit bulls and sorry ass humans will breed some other dog to do the same thing. The breed ain't the problem.

Thank Sinjefe. This X1000. You are spot on!

As I have said before I have been around this breed my entire life and Ive never had an issue or had one go off the range and kill the mailman or bite one of my kids.

My father had them until he passed away and they were on the farm that my mother grew up on used as herding dogs.

Long before they were known as the evil Pitbull. Back then they were just known as Bulldogs.

I was more afraid of getting bit by my grandmother's chow then I have every worried about one of my dogs hurting someone of something. But that was because of my own ignorance.

My daughters had friends that used to come by the house to visit the dogs when they were all home from college on break.

The three that I have now are all rescues that I have pulled from different levels of shit brought on by some scum bag(s).

People will always believe what they want to believe even if that means they will ignore what might be right in front of them. I suppose the same could be said for me.

That's ok. I have YEARS of experience with this breed, in my home, raising them from the time they were born until they died of old age. My experience is not based on "some report" that someone posted online.

They are all doing very well by the way.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 17 December 2017, 10:58
Pirate and Rogue

*DELETED*

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 17 December 2017, 11:00
Pirate and Rogue

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.)

Old 17 December 2017, 11:42
Just A "Less Than"

That is a breed that suffers vicarious hatred because of the abuse they have suffered as a breed. It would amaze a lot of people to know the amount of "cowarding" Pits I have dealt with. Truly sad....
Old 17 December 2017, 14:41
Confirmed User

I think the strong and knowledgeable owner component is the key risk mitigation for breeds that need it. IMHO, people represented on this site are NOT the average owner, rather exceptions to the case. Therefore how people here manage such breeds is not applicable to the general population IMO. Hence, if we're looking at this from a basic hazard analysis perspective (severity and probability of occurrence) and the primary risk mitigation is well above average effective owners and high quality breeding, unfortunately neither are the case for many, if not most, therefore the risks continue to exist unmitigated.

There have been adult fatalities from other dogs, generally in the large aggressive breed category (rottweilers, mix breeds...). For example, Diane Whipple who got mauled by two Presa Canarios. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

Whats worse about the dog related fatalities is who it affects mostly - the young or elderly who have the least ability to protect themselves.

Wikipedia has pretty comprehensive listing over multiple years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States

For 2017 fatalities have all been pits.
Old 17 December 2017, 14:58
Militant Hippy

I am all for getting rid of this breed. I am a "DOG" person.

My Grandmother bred GSD's for 40 years and it's the only breed of dog my family or I have ever owned.

I have been involved in several working dog programs on both the Army and contracting/civilian side of the fence. I know dogs and there is rarely a dog I can't befriend or learn it's personality and make progress with.

Excepts Pit bulls. I can't read them and I don't trust them.

Most of their owners suck as well.

Last edited by ronix; 17 December 2017 at 15:06.
Old 17 December 2017, 15:45
Authorized Personnel

Dachshunds are evil, my Uncle Charley had a family of the little bastards that would always bite my feet. Thank God that Uncle Charley's old farm house had linoleum floors and their little evil claws couldn't get good traction as they chased me.

Last edited by Ole crusty bastard; 17 December 2017 at 15:46. Reason: might be a derailing of OP...

Our new posting rules