SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 April 2018, 17:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
One of the quickest ways to make a f'd up dog is an f'd up owner.
Oh yeah. Unfortunately had to witness this a few times.
Old 9 April 2018, 17:06
Been There Done That

Well, if you have your dog insured under State Farm and it ain't a Pit Bull you're subsidizing the Pit Bull's insurance.

Link

There are other companies that don't insure Pit Bulls - and guess what - their premiums are lower.
Old 9 April 2018, 18:37
Policeman Officer

Thanks everybody!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 10 April 2018, 02:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Just Pits are only breed deserving of universal contempt.
God created dachshunds to train the faithful.

Okay, there were probably no dogs on Arrakis
Old 9 May 2018, 15:50
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post

Respectfully disagree. There ISN'T always a reason for dog attacks. That's why some are wary of certain breeds, because there's been too many times where there wasn't a reason. People need to quit acting like they understand an animals psyche. Too many times certain breeds simply snap.
Disagree with the disagree. There is always a reason for anything. Just because the reason isn't obvious to you doesn't mean there isn't a reason.
Looking at this thread you will see a lot of mention of pit bull or pit bull type (look like but probably aren't pit bulls) that attack children (probably more often girls), women and old ladies "out of nowhere". You might not find that so odd when you consider that many of these terriers or other dogs bred for hunting were, wait for it... bred for hunting and have strong connections between squealing children and/or women with the distress call of an animal. That is not the recipe for a good situation.
A lot of people also don't realize that actions that seem normal to them aren't normal to a dog, like someone mentioned yelling at the tv while watching a football game at a friends house. You dig deep enough and you will find something that seemed like a perfectly reasonable reason for the dog to feel the need to intervene.
The problem with pit bulls, "pit bulls", or any dog, is that whoever owns them, or just expects to be around them needs to understand them better than "ooh pretty/I want to touch it/I've gotta have it now!". I see plenty of dogs on my daily walks that are beautiful dogs and I would love to pet them, but I don't. I treat them like people who are entitled to their own personal space and their choice of who they allow into that space. I often get people who ask if they may pet my dog and my response is "I don't mind at all, but you will have to check with my dog, If she doesn't want to be touched today it'd be best if you left us to our walk, if she wants to be touched, you may pet her until she is done". If a dog likes you it likes you, if it doesn't, you can't force it to and if you attempt that route, you will likely end up with some aeration holes in an appendage or face for your trouble.
Old 9 May 2018, 16:12
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpants45 View Post
Disagree with the disagree. There is always a reason for anything. Just because the reason isn't obvious to you doesn't mean there isn't a reason.
Looking at this thread you will see a lot of mention of pit bull or pit bull type (look like but probably aren't pit bulls) that attack children (probably more often girls), women and old ladies "out of nowhere". You might not find that so odd when you consider that many of these terriers or other dogs bred for hunting were, wait for it... bred for hunting and have strong connections between squealing children and/or women with the distress call of an animal. That is not the recipe for a good situation.
A lot of people also don't realize that actions that seem normal to them aren't normal to a dog, like someone mentioned yelling at the tv while watching a football game at a friends house. You dig deep enough and you will find something that seemed like a perfectly reasonable reason for the dog to feel the need to intervene.
The problem with pit bulls, "pit bulls", or any dog, is that whoever owns them, or just expects to be around them needs to understand them better than "ooh pretty/I want to touch it/I've gotta have it now!". I see plenty of dogs on my daily walks that are beautiful dogs and I would love to pet them, but I don't. I treat them like people who are entitled to their own personal space and their choice of who they allow into that space. I often get people who ask if they may pet my dog and my response is "I don't mind at all, but you will have to check with my dog, If she doesn't want to be touched today it'd be best if you left us to our walk, if she wants to be touched, you may pet her until she is done". If a dog likes you it likes you, if it doesn't, you can't force it to and if you attempt that route, you will likely end up with some aeration holes in an appendage or face for your trouble.
well, you're technically correct, there is always a reason , I guess, but, you skipped over the one part of my quote. People try to figure out an animals psyche, and I still claim that that is not easy.
Yes, the reason a dog jumps a fence and attacks a 5 year old girl walking on her side of the street, in the dogs head there may have been a valid reason, to the dog. Still doesn't make it any less horrific to the little girl who was just mauled for no discernable reason and did nothing to provoke the animal.My point is, the dog, while may be simply doing dog things, doesn't give it carte blanche immunity.
Old 9 May 2018, 18:47
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpants45 View Post
I don't think the reason is available to any human on earth. It's impossible for anyone to know for certain what the complete spectrum of the senses of a dog are, let alone know how any given dog takes in any given stimuli. Could be sounds as you mentioned, could be body language, could be a smell, could even be things we are unaware of and can not detect with our limited senses. They say animals can sense earthquakes and seizures and other "invisible" things. If so, we have no way to know if any other "invisible" aspects of our lives may impact the disposition of any dog.

So I think we've come full circle on this. Until someday someone actually maps and defines for certainty every thing that can affect a dog, we are left to use terms that describe the current situation at hand, which is that, to us, it seems like some dogs "snap" for "no reason".
Old 9 May 2018, 21:25
athlete in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
I don't think the reason is available to any human on earth. It's impossible for anyone to know for certain what the complete spectrum of the senses of a dog are, let alone know how any given dog takes in any given stimuli. Could be sounds as you mentioned, could be body language, could be a smell, could even be things we are unaware of and can not detect with our limited senses. They say animals can sense earthquakes and seizures and other "invisible" things. If so, we have no way to know if any other "invisible" aspects of our lives may impact the disposition of any dog.

So I think we've come full circle on this. Until someday someone actually maps and defines for certainty every thing that can affect a dog, we are left to use terms that describe the current situation at hand, which is that, to us, it seems like some dogs "snap" for "no reason".
That's kind of my point though, understanding why a dog does something is fairly analogous to understanding why people attack/kill other people when you can't directly question that person. If you study the situation/circumstances/events leading up to the attack you can get pretty close to the real root.
One may spend their time around a variety of people their entire life and not understand anything meaningful about any of them or why they do the things they do if they don't put forth the effort to study and analyze the different backgrounds/cultures/etc. that give rise to different feelings or actions. But one who does put forth the effort will be much closer to a true understanding of peoples motives even when efforts are made to disguise them.
Same thing can be found in reporting on dog attacks, people report what they know but are unlikely to report that knowledge to probably within 25% of the real truth because they aren't wired to recognize the things that are really important. Would you trust the information in a crime report based solely on the word of the "common man" who likely passed >4 people that day who were high out of their mind and making plans to mug him that he never noticed more than that of a detective or PSD expert who can spot those same characters from 200yds?

This isn't to make it out like I'm some expert or dog whisperer or anything like that. I know what I know about dogs and I know that there is a lot that I don't know about dogs, same as there is a lot I don't know about people. I just don't care for blanket statements about noone could know this and noone could know that. It's like saying you can't, you probably could, it just happened yet for whatever reason. You could talk to people about certain incidents who have bred/trained/worked with dogs their whole life and they may tell you that they don't know why it happened, that may mean that they've been wandering their way through life/their career, or it may just mean that they don't know that particular dog and its story and don't feel inclined to speculate, but if one of their dogs ever did something off kilter they would probably be able to deduce the reason by analyzing the situation.

Last edited by greenpants45; 9 May 2018 at 21:34. Reason: clarification
Old 13 May 2018, 21:37
Swimming Upstream

There are so many reports, that I just pick one occasionally to post:

This lady lost her arm.

http://people.com/crime/oklahoma-wom...our-pit-bulls/

And good thing someone was carrying a gun. They need to sue the crap out of the owner.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...gs-1-shot-dead
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 14 May 2018, 03:34
Confirmed User

You know, I just don't get one fact. What's with pitbulls and messed up owners? The two seem to find each other with unnerving accuracy.

When I owned mine, I was frequently asked why I had them as people who met me were surprised that my dogs were docile and quite friendly and the majority of pitbull owners they met before were wannabe tough guys who apparently tried to boost their rep by owning a mean-looking dog (and trained to be mean too, the more aggressive dog the happier owner it seemed). Bear in mind that I'm talking about Poland here.

Aren't dachshunds not looking mean enough?
Old 17 May 2018, 07:24
Been There Done That

https://patch.com/oklahoma/across-ok...ma-woman-death

Thought this had some application to this thread as far as mistaken identification goes.

"Original reports that the dogs that attacked Garcia were pit bulls proved not to be true, Bryant said."

How do you get a pit bull and a wiener dog confused.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 17 May 2018, 09:17
Policeman Officer

It's always a pit bull. They're the only breed that bites people.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 17 May 2018, 09:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Yep.

As pointed out multiple times in this thread, even animal shelter staff have an extremely difficult time identifying a "pit bull" - apparently if it has short hair and pointy ears it is a "pit bull" and news agencies are more than happy to just say "pit bull" even if it isn't, because it gets clicked and shared.
Old 17 May 2018, 14:36
killjoy

Quote:
It's always a pit bull. They're the only breed that can single-handedly kill a grown man.
* Corrected for accuracy and focus.

As far as just biting in general, I think I recall that the Golden Retriever was the #1 biter of all dogs. Is that true?
Old 17 May 2018, 15:20
The Sagacious One

I just looked at 4 different studies and they varied from GSD's to Chihuahuas to Labs. Go figure.
Old 17 May 2018, 15:36
Red Headed Stepchild

https://people.com/pets/oklahoma-wom...achshund-dogs/

Those things are a menace.
Old 17 May 2018, 17:02
Did...did I do that?

Pit bulls are just shar-peis after botox.

https://imgur.com/2t5Axby
Old 17 May 2018, 22:11
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
One tried to attack my 13 year old daughter tonight. My wife punted it into next week.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 17 May 2018, 23:22
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post

* Corrected for accuracy and focus.

As far as just biting in general, I think I recall that the Golden Retriever was the #1 biter of all dogs. Is that true?
That's ridiculously inaccurate and betrays a very shallow knowledge of the canine world. Cute little edit. Keep clutching your pearls.

Old 17 May 2018, 23:26
Policeman Officer

These will all be pitbulls by the time the story gets forwarded around a few sewing circles.

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/-Wo...482607221.html

Our new posting rules