SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 December 2017, 18:10
Confirmed User

Banning pitts is akin to banning "assault weapons". I've never owned a Pitt nor do I have a desire to but the issue is clearly with the owner just like firearms.
Old 17 December 2017, 18:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Banning pitts is akin to banning "assault weapons". I've never owned a Pitt nor do I have a desire to but the issue is clearly with the owner just like firearms.
And there you have it. I don't want another person (be it an LL Bean shirt wearing, tree huggin, cock loving faggot... nor an ultra enlightened, meat eating, free -breeder) to tell me what kind of dog I can't have.
Old 17 December 2017, 19:28
Very Deplorable

You want to ban this?!

I can agree, as a medic, most dog bites I run are caused by Pitt mixes... That said, almost 99% of the time it some shitheel owner who had raised or bred them to be aggressive and mistreated or did not train the animals, and the home was an unkept shithole with an equally mistreated family lifestyle.

I agree it is an owner problem 95% of the time. People give these dogs a bad rap, and shitty parents do as well for not teaching their kids how to act around new/strange animals.

My boy does great around kids, and has never been even slightly aggressive to anyone unless I give command.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1786.PNG (1.99 MB, 175 views)
Old 17 December 2017, 19:54
#BlackRiflesMatter

When I was 12-13yrs, I used to deliver newspapers to Vagabond Trailercourt (like 300+ single-wides, just like it sounds), in Spenard Alaska...and any dog will go psychotic if kept on the end of a 3' chain at the end of a driven piece of rebar for 16-24hrs/day

Those dogs wore a 3' radius "circle of death" track of psycho-rage into the ground. Before learning where these "traps" were all located I stumbled into a few and usually the vest-like paper-carry bag got shredded.

Worst mental-cases were pitbulls, skiddish-huskys, and the occasional wolf-hybrid that were popular for awhile. I only ever saw one Lab ever go bad.

I got bit twice (by charging off-chain predators) before I learned the self-defense technique of offering up a thick Carhartt-covered forearm to the charging shitheel, then when it jumped/clamped on the forarm it exposes it's underbelly to a VERY solid knee.

Even with a pack of dogs, it's usually the "alpha" that leads the charge and makes the first jump. If you can send him running and yipping the others would follow.

I almost prefer an aggressive alpha to the cowering sneaky fucker that lets you pass, then tries to attack from behind. The trick (especially on ice/snow) is NEVER lose your footing and get taken to the ground. Protect your neck/head/face even if you have to pull your coat (or newspaper bag) up over your head until you regain footing. Pepper spray now. Or a good hollowpoint.

Last edited by Tycon; 17 December 2017 at 20:23.
Old 17 December 2017, 19:54
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
And there you have it. I don't want another person (be it an LL Bean shirt wearing, tree huggin, cock loving faggot... nor an ultra enlightened, meat eating, free -breeder) to tell me what kind of dog I can't have.
If you want an eye opening experience...create a Google News search profile for Pit Bull attacks....then come back in 6 months and tell me if you still agree. Serious challenge...latest death was a 77 year old, killed by their family pet. This happens at least once a month.

Past week 2 deaths

1) https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/515498...lynn-stephens/

2) http://wgntv.com/2017/12/11/elderly-...h-by-pit-bull/

Then my elderly neighbor, who still hasn't recovered completely a year after, from a Pit who was on a leash, walking in our neighborhood who lunged for her and her granddaugther....thankfully only savaging her leg...grand daughter was safe.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

Last edited by Purple36; 17 December 2017 at 20:04.
Old 17 December 2017, 20:06

I have heard that Chows kill a shit load of elderly owners as well. Especially when there are at least two of them. It's like they go into "pack mode" or something.
Old 17 December 2017, 21:27
At the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronix View Post
I am all for getting rid of this breed. I am a "DOG" person.

My Grandmother bred GSD's for 40 years and it's the only breed of dog my family or I have ever owned.

I have been involved in several working dog programs on both the Army and contracting/civilian side of the fence. I know dogs and there is rarely a dog I can't befriend or learn it's personality and make progress with.

Excepts Pit bulls. I can't read them and I don't trust them.

Most of their owners suck as well.
Bingo. I have worked in a MWD kennel as a civilian and have ridden with the K-9 guys on post on overstaffed days. I have never had a problem with the GSD's (I have been a lucky mom to 3, one who has crossed the rainbow bridge) or any of the working dogs, even the ones that no one else could deal with. When I was in Roosey Roads, I had friends in base housing that I'd go hang out with on my weekends off. They had a Rottie that would sleep with me on the couch when I stayed the night. Awesome dog. She would not be friendly with anyone else. It was amazing.
I had a pit mix once. She tried to kill my female GSD. I got tired of breaking up the fights. Of course my asshole husband "loved" that dog. She was a freaking viscious little assshole. I had her since she was a pup and she had been raised like all of my other dogs. She was the only one that I ever thought about putting a bullet in her head.
Old 17 December 2017, 22:11
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I have heard that Chows kill a shit load of elderly owners as well. Especially when there are at least two of them. It's like they go into "pack mode" or something.
So I set up two Google Searches this past year:

Pit Bull Attack
Dog Attack

I wanted to be as fair as possible. Although other dogs attack, none are as strong, ferocious and tenacious as a Pit. Hands down...horrifying when they decide they are going to kill you.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 17 December 2017, 22:13
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Not really..not a constitutional right.
Old 17 December 2017, 22:22
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Get rid of pit bulls and sorry ass humans will breed some other dog to do the same thing. The breed ain't the problem.
Actually the breed is the problem..along with some of the owners...there is no comparison to being attacked by a Pit over another dog...Pits are far stronger, tenacious and vicious...set a Google alert for Pit Bull attacks and read the weekly reports...it's not "oh shit, Bob got bit on the ass by a dog and had to go get rabies shots." It's "a Pit broke through a fucking door or escaped it's yard and tore a person to pieces and when bystanders tried to save the person's life, the Pit turned on them and went after them.."

This is not my opinion, this is my light reading of a news alert I have had set up for the past year after my neighbor was attacked by a Pit as she was walking with her five year old grand daughter...in a nice and quiet neighborhood about 1/4 mile from my house and the dog was on a leash but broke free from it's owner in it's successful attempt to attack my neighbor.
Old 17 December 2017, 22:32
Been There Done That

Owning a pit bull is like sleeping with a can of gasoline. Sure, as long as the owner Yafa yada yada. Just takes one match to light it off.

If you have children, would you trust a neighbors pit bull no matter how good the owner? I read about pit bull attacks , some atta king family members, and the comments are always "well, we never had any issues before" or they are in denial and refuse to blame the dog .

It is in a pit bulls nature to attack and kill. Just like my brothers dog, a pointer, instinctively points and fetches without any training, it is in its nature. Like having a pet tiger, you are not going to train the natural instinct to kill out of it. I once tried to domesticate a baby leopard we confiscated, was not going to happen - it had a natural instinct to be wild. To the zoo it went.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 17 December 2017, 22:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Well, firearms don't do anything on their own. Dogs do have their own mind and volition. They can and will do things their masters don't want them to do. My Boxer bit the Chinese delivery guy once because she perceived him as a threat, when all I wanted was dinner. I thought she was in the back yard. My fault for not knowing.

So, I got a neighbor who lets her Boston Terrier run with no leash. He came at my Boxer and I once on a walk. I gave him a punt with my boot and that was the end of that. After that I started carrying an expandable baton on walks. keeps teeth further away from me.

There are also some people who walk their ill-trained Pitt Bull mixes on the same trails I walk. Some struggle to keep their dogs at heel when they approach, and I usually have to divert away from them. These are the dogs I carry .45 doses of "get the fuck away!" for. A Boston Terrier trying to maul me I can handle, a Pitt comes at me and I have a problem.

The difference is that Pitts are bred for power, aggression, and ferocity. It is in their nature, just like certain working dogs are bred for specific traits. Had a Greyhound once. Not just fast, but a fantastic sight hunter. Growing up, my Dad bred Bull Terriers. They slept in our beds with us, and loved to play. But they could tear the hell out of groundhogs, opossums, raccoons and whatever other animal they could catch. Ferocious and vicious fighters, because that is what they were bred for.

It is genetics. Dogs are bred for certain traits. Pitts have been bred for power, aggression and ferocity. That makes them especially dangerous.
Old 17 December 2017, 23:17
Authorized Personnel

Well fuck me to tears . I have a pit mix so maybe I should shoot my dogs and then kill myself.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 17 December 2017, 23:42
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Well fuck me to tears . I have a pit mix so maybe I should shoot my dogs and then kill myself.
The point is not to attack your individual dog...but try to be objective on the topic. You may have the most wonderful, awesome, sweet bundle of fur; that is not the point...it is that overall, Pit's are responsible for more deaths of owners/people than other dogs. I friend of mine is highly defensive on this topic; because of her beloved (now passed) Pit and I understand that...but it's not a personal attack on any one dog...it's an issue with the ferocity and tenacity of the breed.

And yes, there are enough news articles of Pits raised in loving homes who have turned and attacked or killed their owners to see that it's not just an issue of bad owners.
Old 18 December 2017, 00:15
Did...did I do that?

On the flip side of the issue as an additional data point, remember the Michael Vick dogs?

Some went to homes without kids. Some went to an animal sanctuary. But only one dog was put down for aggression, a female who had been overbred and become too aggressive. One other was put down for injuries. So 49 dogs rescued and 47 rehabbed in one way or another.

I'm not posting this as proof that all pits are good or bad. Just another piece of info for the pie.

I've got a couple of friends in central Ohio who adore pits, and work with a couple of pit rescues. I think they get something of a bad rap partially because everyone seems to be an expert on what a pit bull looks like. It's kind of like the old "1 drop of blood" race laws. We haven't come far enough with doggie genetics to reliably identify a particular breed yet. I'm still on the fence about them. I would never own one, partially because I'm not the right kind of person to own one. But I won't discount every pit I meet, particularly one that's under control when I meet it.

WaPo link to 2008 Vick story
Old 18 December 2017, 01:22
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
The point is not to attack your individual dog...but try to be objective on the topic. You may have the most wonderful, awesome, sweet bundle of fur; that is not the point...it is that overall, Pit's are responsible for more deaths of owners/people than other dogs. I friend of mine is highly defensive on this topic; because of her beloved (now passed) Pit and I understand that...but it's not a personal attack on any one dog...it's an issue with the ferocity and tenacity of the breed.

And yes, there are enough news articles of Pits raised in loving homes who have turned and attacked or killed their owners to see that it's not just an issue of bad owners.
If we're going to genocide the breed, how is attacking an individual dog not the point?
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 18 December 2017, 01:30
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
If we're going to genocide the breed, how is attacking an individual dog not the point?
The point is to acknowledge that when they attack...they are far more devastating than other dogs. I knew nothing of PB's until my neighbor was attacked around the corner...then I started paying attention.

It's not about going out killing dogs-so your use of "genocide" is not accurate.

I have found (thus far) that folks who own Pit Bull's, whom they love, seem unwilling to admit that these dogs can be shockingly devastating. I'm sorry, but just because a person's dog is an awesome family member, does not negate the negative traits of the breed. But I do understand the defense of one's loved one...our dogs/cats/etc are family.
Old 18 December 2017, 01:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

Just like a wolf-hybrid or really any animal, all it takes is the wrong set of circumstances for disaster.

Jealousy (dogs do have emotions) of a "new" toddler, or the child just playing with a dog's territorial food dish can result in an attack from ANY dog. Especially if the "alphas" are busy in the other room.

Many people won't trust a dog alone for a second with a meatloaf sandwich on the coffee table. Yet seem fine to trust them alone with an infant. Then are shocked and surprised that a large aggressive fighting breed "family dog" can kill in seconds.

Douchbag Owners like this don't help...and are actually reinforcing the bad behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU1i0BKvZ7k

Last edited by Tycon; 18 December 2017 at 01:54.
Old 18 December 2017, 01:41
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Just like a wolf-hybrid or really any animal, all it takes is the wrong set of circumstances for disaster.

Jealousy (dogs do have emotions) of a "new" toddler, or the child just playing with a dog's territorial food dish can result in an attack from ANY dog. Especially if the "alphas" are busy in the other room.

Many people won't trust a dog alone for a second with a meatloaf sandwich on the coffee table. Yet trust them alone with an infant.
Another thing to consider when owning a potentially dangerous dog...liability insurance...I have it..even though our dog is not particularly aggressive...but he could be if he wanted to..and at 60 pounds, he could do some damage.
Old 18 December 2017, 01:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post

This is not my opinion, this is my light reading of a news alert I have had set up for the past year after my neighbor was attacked by a Pit as she was walking with her five year old grand daughter...in a nice and quiet neighborhood about 1/4 mile from my house and the dog was on a leash but broke free from it's owner in it's successful attempt to attack my neighbor.
Of course it's your opinion. Neither your assertion nor mine are statements of fact. Google "are pitbulls dangerous" and there are just as many articles from reputable sites stating what I asserted AND what you did.

How many differing opinions on pitbulls just on this site?

Our new posting rules