SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 December 2017, 02:56
Red Headed Stepchild

"I'll take 'entrenched opinions' for 500 alex"
Old 18 December 2017, 05:05
Confirmed User

FYI, in Poland you can own Pittbull if "you are following thorough and effective precautions" and you get appropiate permit from the mayor.

You think that stops stupid people from owning them? No, it does not. And like someone here so eloquently stated, if pittbulls are banned stupid people will find other dogs to abuse and I do think it's true. Stupid and irresponsible people have a habit of getting their hands on lots of things and animals they should not own. How they do it remains a mystery.

There were, and still are, lots of dachshunds in Poland. Often, but not exclusively, in large neighborhoods filled with Commie-era 12-story flats. Given my last stroll along this one , second longest in Europe, there are still lots of these dogs around. IMO they go absolutely apeshit when kept as pets in small apartments. I had a pleasure of having two dachshunds in my flat (small 4-story single stairway building) and by God these things were vicious. They often bite children (as parents usually have no restraints against their kids petting this small, sausage like doggie) and chase them.

Even the name dachshund is evil.

I'm a dog person so my answers in this thread, or any thread about dogs, might require filtering thru a "so in love with dogs he doesn't see their flaws" lens.
Old 18 December 2017, 06:26
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I'm not taking a position here on pits, although I freely admit I do not like them. And although we have well adjusted members here who own them, at least half of that dislike is due to a lot of the people who own them, and why they own them.

Just looking at the "attacks" aspect of it all though, ask yourself if, like many attacks by humans upon each other, many of these situations would have ended differently if a weapon was available.

Any dog charging or attacking me or mine is getting shot until the slide locks back.

Weapons. Always have one. On you or within reach. Always.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 18 December 2017, 07:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
....There were, and still are, lots of dachshunds in Poland....
That is also learned behavior. Ankle Biter Syndrome.

All those tiny dogs old fat ladies like to keep.

When they were puppies "Oh, look. Isn't whittle pugsy wugsy so cute" as they are ripping into something. The reinforcement continues until they are full grown and the action transfers to people's ankles.

No large dog would be allowed to do that - "Hey! NO! Go sit."

I call 'um kick dogs because that's what needs to be done to them.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:26
Confirmed User

I wonder if it's only that. Haven't met Yorkshire Terrier trying to bite my ankle? Maybe haven't met enough of them?? Dachshunds, on the other hand, often seem to just wait for the opportunity. OK, I'm biased towards them. Yorks are usually making enough noise to wake up entire planet but none have ever bitten me in the leg.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

Yep. Me too. Am not willing to accept the capability of doing great harm as reason to damn an entire demographic.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
I wonder if it's only that. Haven't met Yorkshire Terrier trying to bite my ankle? ....
I've had a number of tiny dogs latch onto my bluejeans at the ankle and go to town on them. The owner is usually "Oh, isn't he cute? You know there's nothing I can do with him." as I'm thinking about how nice it would be to launch the critter into the far ceiling corner.

Don't like rude dogs.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:49
Authorized Personnel

Another problem is the over use of the term. There are no consequences for misleading the public. There are very real financial rewards for an attention grabbing headlone and dramatic story:
VISCOUS PIT BULL ATTACK

To make matters worse, many people honestly don't know.

This skews the statistics and provides further impetus for an even broader use of the term.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:57
Been There Done That

Two years ago when the one of my neighbors moved in I went over to introduce myself. He had his two little Hotdog Dogs outside with him. Both were barking and wagging their tails. I went to pet one of them and he was all over me licking and being a good dog. Well the other dog grabs a hold of my forearm and bites not letting go. Little fucker. He did not break the skin but it really pissed me off. My neighbor was shitting his pants as all he could think of was me suing his ass and me owning his just bought house. He paid me off with a case of beer.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:02
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Agree. Genocide for these dogs. And their trashy owners.
They make great ballistic gel.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Don't like rude dogs.
I feel you. I was considering Chihuahuas to be harmless until one day I was bitten by one on a parking lot near supermarket. As I was passing them the dog was totally standing beside his owner looking somewhere and suddenly spin up on his axis and bit me. Holy God, these critters have needle-sharp pincers.

The owner, a middle-aged woman, was completely in denial that her dog could've bitten me. It all ended without involvement of the police or city guard (I'm not the type who wants to fight with everyone over trivial matters), I've checked the wound and it was properly treated - no complications. The dog was tested to be clear of any disease.

The thing I've got from this encounter is an amazement over how a supposedly docile doggie that, besides looking like some sort of mutant hybrid thin-legged gremlin, behaved seemingly normally went from zero to bitch in about 0.0001 seconds.

I steer clear of Chihuahuas now. I don't want to kill one. There you go - VICIOUS PITBULL MURDER DEATH TERROR and you coul be bitten (God, it really hurt!) by a some sort of weirdo semi-alien dog that a well-fed rat could rival in size.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:43
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

LOL, very true!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 18 December 2017, 08:45
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL View Post
Another problem is the over use of the term. There are no consequences for misleading the public. There are very real financial rewards for an attention grabbing headlone and dramatic story:
VISCOUS PIT BULL ATTACK

To make matters worse, many people honestly don't know.

This skews the statistics and provides further impetus for an even broader use of the term.
Except the CDC tracks the statistics on this. But I agree, much like the terms the press uses for guns...very likely they do the same with dog attacks.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 18 December 2017, 08:49
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Of course it's your opinion. Neither your assertion nor mine are statements of fact. Google "are pitbulls dangerous" and there are just as many articles from reputable sites stating what I asserted AND what you did.

How many differing opinions on pitbulls just on this site?
Please don't miss my point...I am not speaking of articles written for or against Pit Bulls. I am strictly referring to daily news reports on attacks by dogs. It's an easy thing to put up a Google News alert for any topic you care to follow and every time a news report for that item is published, it shows up in your feed.

I did that with dog attacks and it was eye opening

I agree that Dachsunds are assholes...the difference is they can be punted across the room. A Pit with it's sheer strength and weight is fully capable of killing a human and I've counted ten deaths this year in the US alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2017

Last edited by Purple36; 18 December 2017 at 08:58.
Old 18 December 2017, 08:57
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
I've had a number of tiny dogs latch onto my bluejeans at the ankle and go to town on them. The owner is usually "Oh, isn't he cute? You know there's nothing I can do with him." as I'm thinking about how nice it would be to launch the critter into the far ceiling corner.

Don't like rude dogs.
.....merged into previous post
Old 18 December 2017, 09:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
I wonder if it's only that. Haven't met Yorkshire Terrier trying to bite my ankle? Maybe haven't met enough of them??
Ha! The only dog to ever bite me and draw blood was my momís yorkie. I was wearing flip flops and as I walked out the front door, he ran over and bit my pinkie toe. Granted, he didnít do any real damage, but it hurt like hell and it bled more than I thought it would.
Old 18 December 2017, 12:18
FNG

I think there is a big difference in a pitbull latching onto your ankle, and a Weiner dog nipping your ankle.

Vicious attack indeed.
Old 18 December 2017, 13:11
Did...did I do that?

I think what's likely the case is that small dogs bite more often, but big dogs do more damage when they bite.

I worked for Heath Consultants doing gas service line checks in the Pittsburgh area in the summer of 91. I was in and out of about 2000 houses that summer, and met a bunch of dogs, big and small. I was even in a drug house (saw it later that summer on COPS). Only got bitten once, by a kicker dog whose owner just couldn't believe little Poopsie would act like that.
Old 18 December 2017, 13:14
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
A Pit with it's sheer strength and weight is fully capable of killing a human and I've counted ten deaths this year in the US alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2017
We put up with shit from (and about) dogs that we would never put up with from any other animal. Because they're "family"...(yet legally, really just considered "property"). Imagine if Coyotes or Cougers killed 10+ people a year in your own neighborhood streets or homes.

And, just like with guns, we all know people that have no business owning them. Yup, sorry grandma...but at a "frail" 87lbs you are not the "alpha" in the relationship with your out-of-control 97lb Chow. More like a DANGEROUS spoiled 100lb 3yr old tyrant with teeth who's used to getting it's own way.

Or the douchebag that encourages his "killer" pitbull to "play" guard-dog to everyone or anything who comes to the door. Then can't understand when it snaps the leash (or screen-door) and actually kills something. Big fucking surprise. "But, he's always been such a good family dog with little Billy"...until the day instinct kicked in, and he wasn't.

I have only seen ONE lab retreiver ever go bad. Owner induced psycho...living life at the end of a 3' chain with ZERO "loving" discipline. Owner WANTED a lonely psychotic "killer" at the end of a chain because he himself was a coward and it gave him a sense of power. And ol' "Blue" -WAS- a scary MF!

The only "real" damage I ever received other than bites to the arm of my coat or newspaper-bag...was from a friend's "family" pitbull, when for "no reason" he decided to "play" family-protector with me and bite/shred my ear as I sat on the couch drinking beer and watching/yelling at a thanksgiving football game.

Last edited by Tycon; 18 December 2017 at 13:40.
Old 18 December 2017, 14:02

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Our new posting rules