SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 April 2018, 23:58
Administrator

Making a Good Marriage Last

Inspired by this thread:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=96194

Most of us are wired differently than other guys....we are severe Type-A personalities, which sometimes makes marriage hard.

How do you do it?

I have been thinking about the above thread, and what I wrote there. One thing that I think has helped our marriage is that we made this life together. We were both stone-broke when we married in 1994....I sold my motorcycle to pay for the wedding and we opened up our gift envelopes the night we got married to collect money to pay for our honeymoon. What we have, we built together. That sense of building a core family has bonded us over the years.

How have you all done it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (22.5 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.5 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.9 KB, 488 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 24 April 2018, 00:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I don't know that I have done it, yet. I've been married to the same awesome woman for over 25 years. I believe that marriage is a work in progress, and takes effort. Over the years, when we've gone on autopilot, the marriage suffers. When we put in the effort, the marriage benefits.
Old 24 April 2018, 00:14
Policeman Officer

Being irresistible.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 24 April 2018, 03:14
Confirmed User

We're going to hit 20 years here in about 6 weeks. If anyone can figure out how we made together this far, please let me know!
Old 24 April 2018, 03:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
We're going to hit 20 years here in about 6 weeks. If anyone can figure out how we made together this far, please let me know!

I'm with you Ferryman. 35 years for me & Denise next month. Plus, we shacked up together for a year prior. That also, includes a one year hiatus to sort things out. It is a work in progress sometimes.

"Fuck you", "Fuck you too". "I didn't mean it, I love you baby". "I love you too hon".

Good pics DH! But in that black & white.... with a slightly different hair style. You could double for Kaptain Kangaroo.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 April 2018, 04:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
"Fuck you", "Fuck you too". "I didn't mean it, I love you baby". "I love you too hon".
Yeah. Some times you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Yet after all the bitching and whining, we actually might be ending up where we were headed.
Made a plan early on, looks like its going happen. I can't wait for the day we make it to the holy land, [Tennessee] and I scream, from the top of the barn: Holy shit! What the hell did I get my self into! Arrrrgggggh!

It will work, I know it will....
Old 24 April 2018, 04:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Great question. Great thread too by the way.

I got married late in life, we've only been married 16 years. We did the math recently and I've been deployed and/or gone for something like 60% of that. We could not be more different, she has an artist brain (math, logic and teamwork modules not installed) which can lead to some interesting discussions.

She is a straight up pain in the ass at times, as I know I am but we just love each other so it all works out at the end of the day.

We just work hard at it.

She can outshoot a lot of you guys at the pistol range by the way

e: also she has great tits
Old 24 April 2018, 04:37
Been There Done That

Garbage In - Garbage Out. Wish that I had learned that about relationships earlier on.

When my mom died, my folks had been married for 54 years. I naively thought that every marriage would be like that and my parents never spoke about the factor that made their marriage so successful.

More importantly, I had a lot of things to clean up inside myself before being able to find and maintain the right relationship. You gotta be able to love yourself in order to love someone else in a way that is lasting. Sounds simple but in reality it isn't.

Kudos to those that figured all this out early in life or remained with someone with the patience to sort it all out over time. It took me until a few years ago. Late start for me after a lot of mistakes, but better late than later.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 24 April 2018, 06:11
Another pool cleaner

Anyone who has it figured out, let us all know.

I had no intention of getting married or having kids.

Most women (and men) are selfish, lying, lazy, vain windbags. Most women (and men) want to do the easy thing instead of the right thing.

This world is full of maggots. I hate maggots.

For some reason, I found a woman that decided I was worth my crankiness and misanthropy. For 19 years.

We haven't found an answer. It's fun working together to try to find one though.
Old 24 April 2018, 06:17
Authorized Personnel

We got married between tours in Vietnam.

People change as they age, sometimes you get lucky and those changes don't include her killing you.

I got very lucky, Momma got better with age.

Last edited by Ole crusty bastard; 24 April 2018 at 06:18. Reason: 47 years....
Old 24 April 2018, 06:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
..."Fuck you", "Fuck you too". "I didn't mean it, I love you baby". "I love you too hon"....
Reminds me of....

The first phase of married sex is House Sex - Doesn't matter where you are in the house, when the urge hits you're gonna go at it right there.

After a few years, marriages progress to the Bedroom Sex phase - On the rare occasions you have sex it's in your bedroom. With the lights out.

Finally, marriages enter the Hallway Sex phase - Any time you pass each other in the hall, one of you says "Fuck You!"

And for the record, we're at 37 years and counting. And not a "Fuck You" to be heard....
Old 24 April 2018, 06:37
FIDO

My wife and I are going on 17 years. We were engaged after dating for 2 months and married 10 months later. (I sound like a young private) My friends were worried that I was going to fast. 17 years later, we outlasted most of their marriages. I married up and I know it. Three great kids that keep us on our toes. My wife and I don't take ourselves too seriously, we can banter back and fourth without one getting hurt feelings. We have been through things that would normally tear a couple apart, it's only made us tighter.

I agree with Gavin, our marriage is in a constant state of work, asways trying to make it better but also getting caught on cruise control. when you start taking each other for granted things start to fall apart.

All in all my life would have been drastically different had I not married her. It was the best choice of my life.
Old 24 April 2018, 06:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

27 for me. I always jokingly tell people to marry a woman from WV. All you have to do is buy them a house without wheels and they think you're the shit.

Seriously though, I married a woman both better looking and smarter than me and I conduct myself accordingly. There will be no "trading up" for me.
Old 24 April 2018, 06:45
Been There Done That

31 years here.... I have to echo what Dark Helmet has to say. We started with nothing. We built it. 4 Successful kids & 9 Beautiful Grandkids bind us together. Fuck - I'm old.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 24 April 2018, 06:57
Bitter old man.

Duct tape can fix everything but a marriage.

47 and never been married. I make possible wife canidates watch "The Honeymooners" and tell them that is how it's gonna be.
No takers yet.
Old 24 April 2018, 07:00
Authorized Personnel

We hit 20 in a month or so. I put up with her, she puts up with me. Both of us are stubborn.

Both of our parents had long lasting marriages. Her mother has been married over 40 years, 20+ to her Dad who died, and 21 to her step-dad. My parents were married 44 when mom died.
Old 24 April 2018, 07:01
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

We've been married 30 years now. Opposites definitely attract. We are very different people, but that allows our strengths to compensate for each other's weaknesses.

We married young - I was 20, irresponsible, and on sea duty; she was 19 and pregnant - but she is the queen of independence, organization, penny-pinching, and hard-headed unstoppableness (for both better and worse) who made it all work in spite of me. By the time I was 22 and she was 21, we had two kids, a mortgage, two cars, and money in the bank. We drive each other insane with frustration on a regular basis because we can't talk sense into each other, but in the end we both know that we love each other.

I can't say we've done it all well or correctly, but if there is a secret, I would say that it lies in recognizing each other's talents and strengths and respecting each other's opinions even when we don't agree. Over time I've taught her to read a map, drive in reverse, kill a cockroach, shoot a pistol dependably, enjoy primitive camping, and to be patient with people unlike herself. She's taught me to get out of her way when she's got a head of steam built up on some task, to never doubt her management of money or small children, to anticipate that her memory for details of the smallest events in our lives long ago is razor sharp, and that if anything brings me any level of pain she will be right there to fix it.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 24 April 2018, 07:02
Authorized Personnel

29 years in June. So dead broke that we used our last solo tax returns to buy a bed and a TV for our one bedroom apartment.

Lots of things here I agree with. I'd add it's vital to marry a woman who tolerates your need to do "stuff"; deployments, delaying retirement, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Both of our parents had long lasting marriages.
Jan and I both came from divorced homes and had plenty of examples of how "not" to have a successful marriage.
Old 24 April 2018, 07:04
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
drive in reverse
You should patent that method. It would probably make you a millionaire and a Nobel prize winner.
Old 24 April 2018, 07:14
Been There Done That

So after 46 years, we both refuse to ring the bell. Both of us stubborn, mean, nasty in a fight. After retirement from the Army, and civilian life we try to get along and not piss each other off.
Being married is a full time job !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12144793_10207689472740061_6442069229932718303_n.jpg (26.8 KB, 408 views)

Our new posting rules