SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 April 2018, 15:50
Been There Done That

Agoge hit a key word. FRIENDS. You gotta be best friends first IMO, or work your way toward it. Once you get there, I think most anything can be worked out. Even friends have their arguments.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 April 2018, 16:27
Confirmed User

Might some of you men here have a wife who is something like the woman in this article?

she-wrote-a-children's-book-defending-her-husband's-dignity--"the-handsome-hero"-who-lost-2-limbs-in-afghanistan
Old 24 April 2018, 16:37
Been There Done That

Lots of good reads on this - and good points made. I met my Wife in Guam, she is From Canada, I was on the last deployment to the PI with NSWU- 1, we were in the process of moving NSW to Guam, a lot of my buddies had forward deployed, I was one of the last out with the weapons. I met her drunk in a bar ( go figure) didn't even remember, the next day my Teammates told me I had met some hot girls but fucked it all up by being drunk. about 3 days later one of my buddies pointed her out stating that is one you had met the other night. I went up and apologized for being drunk, she smiled and said " actually you were pretty funny" we spent a lot of quality time seeing the island of Guam together in my last 3 weeks of deployment, before I left I asked her if she wanted to get married, she said yes, I flew back to Coronado, and she flew in a week later, been married for 25+ years, 3 Wonderful daughters and have never looked back. Honestly I think some of the hardest times we went through made us the strongest.

Keep the stories coming, enjoying the shit out of this thread.
Old 24 April 2018, 16:58
Confirmed User

Been married for 23 years....knew my wife 4 years before that.

I say "always marry a woman that can cook because the sex will fade over time....but those three squares a day won't".
Old 24 April 2018, 17:23
The atomic zit

22 years for us will be in September. We agreed early that marriage is work.

We had good examples. My parents 43 years, cancer ended that, (not a derail), if not 54 years to date.

Hers, still going strong at 53 years and counting.

All of our Grandparents, until death us part. We will be the same.
Old 24 April 2018, 17:48
giving you a number

Well, looks like this thread struck a chord.

42 years for Gena and I. We're both too stubborn to give up. I'll give some credit to the military life. It can put a serious strain on a marriage, but, when we were both young(er) and more prone to get into real knock down/drag outs we were at least 500 miles away from Mom and Dad (both sets) so it was either try to avoid each other for days in a 4 room apartment or figure out a way to work it out.

That and the fact that I married Wonder Woman.
Old 24 April 2018, 17:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
My only complaint is her titties aren't that big.
That may have been my problem for years. I'd complain that they had small titties and they'd say, "get off my back".

...and that's how the last fight always started on the first night.

(x-thread points?)

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 24 April 2018, 18:32
Confirmed User

Quote:

This morning sums it up:

Her (to me): What do you want for dinner?

Me (looking down at myself, then at her): I'm the man, you're the woman. You decide.

Her (to me): I am the woman so I want to make the man something that makes him happy!

I know married couples who would be in damage control and likely at the divorce lawyer for that exchange.
11 years. My wife is American, but she is definitely from another time. Every Saturday and Sunday, she makes me breakfast in bed. I don't ask her to do it, never did. She just rolls over, kisses me, and asks me what I want. She even shuts the bedroom door to keep the kiddos from disturbing me. She does all the little things: Listens (BIG to me), laughs, and enjoys the little things we do together like house projects and such. I have my things I do for her as well, and she appreciates that. In short, I definitely married my best friend; don't know what I'd do without her.
Old 24 April 2018, 18:51
Holy Diver

Married for almost 20 years after getting engaged just 4 weeks after meeting and marrying a couple months later, best decision I ever made.

I hate to say it but the best thing to happen to my marriage was to punch off of AD, that was brutal. Hats off to you guys who manage this with high optempo mil careers for decades. That's something to be proud of.
Old 24 April 2018, 19:32
The atomic zit

Currently working on the, “in sickness”, part of our vows...
Old 24 April 2018, 19:49
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Duct tape can fix everything but a marriage.

47 and never been married. I make possible wife canidates watch "The Honeymooners" and tell them that is how it's gonna be.
No takers yet.
I do the same thing, only I make them watch All in the Family.
Old 24 April 2018, 19:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
With both of us with medical issues, some for a long time. That's when you absolutely know you got a keeper.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 24 April 2018, 20:51
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I look at marriage as being the opposite of the Prisoner's Dilemma ... it works best when both people value the other's happiness more than their own. That creates the most mutual benefit.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 24 April 2018, 20:58
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
You have my offer if you want a break. A baseball game and all expenses on me.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 24 April 2018, 21:19
The atomic zit

I’ll tell give her your offer. Good thing she is still in bed and can’t smack me from here... :D
Old 24 April 2018, 21:45
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

What a great thread. We will hit 31 in October. It has been a great ride. She gave me four freaking awesome kids and held things together when I was gone. I still travel and she still keeps things going. We made some huge mistakes that took us years to pay for, but we owned them together and fixed them together. There was never any finger-pointing. She was not my best friend when we got married, but she damn sure is now.
Old 24 April 2018, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Agoge hit a key word. FRIENDS. You gotta be best friends first IMO, or work your way toward it. Once you get there, I think most anything can be worked out. Even friends have their arguments.
I agree. My dad always said marry your best friend.
We dated 8 yrs, been married for 16 yrs.

Last edited by UncleTx; 24 April 2018 at 22:06.
Old 24 April 2018, 22:38
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
My only complaint is her titties aren't that big.
When I was still a young'un my dad told me that before getting serious about any woman, get a good look at her mom, because that is what you'll be sleeping with in 25 years. I made out like a bandit in that regard, and over time my wife's champagne glasses filled out to nice brandy snifters. Some things are worth waiting for.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 24 April 2018, 22:42
Administrator

More on our story....

We met in college in 1990. She is three years younger than me but was a year ahead of me in school due to my military time. I was attending college on the GI Bill and working at a lumber mill in the evenings while in school to pay rent. Wife is an only child from a small town and went to school on a pageant scholarship with the Junior Miss Program (singing and dancing). She graduated college when I was a junior and she went straight to grad school for a masters in social work at Michigan State. I graduated a year later and got a job as an underwriter for an insurance company. I was making $34K with a company car and an expense account. I thought I hit the jackpot.

We got engaged in 1993 when she was halfway through her masters program. We married and went to buy our first house, while living in an apartment with furniture that we bought at garage sales. We didn't have two nickels to rub together. Bought our first house for $105K on a VA loan that we only qualified for after applying twice; we had to get a letter from her employer (she was coaching gymnastics part-time in grad school) in order for the deal to go through. We had both our kids in that home.

I remember buying my first BMW (a maroon 528i) and feeling guilty about it. "But you love cars" she said. "Yeah, but we don't even have a dining set yet." I replied. Her response: "Fuck it, get the car, you want it."

She comes from humble beginnings and has never, ever been the high-maintenance type. Love that, LOVE that about her.

In 2004, we held our 10-year anniversary wedding reception all over again in Michigan and invited 250 people to celebrate with us. Many of you SOCNET idiots showed up for it. This was a huge party - this is the weekend where a naked and very drunk Pirate Mike tried to talk Guy Jones into a hot tub, where SuperDeluxe walked around the bar with his cock hanging out of his pants, Scotty banged the hottest chick in the room (one of my wife's buds), and where Poly met his current wife. We were honored to have you all there. I seriously upgraded her diamond ring at that party. I was just starting to make money at that point.

Almost 15 years later, both of our children are in college now and they are both great kids. We have a huge house, a huge boat, a condo in Florida...she wears a Rolex, drives a Benz, and is still pretty hot for a MILF (and unlike many of her friends, no plastic anything). We vacation three or four times a year. Life is good by any measure....especially when we see how many of our friends got divorced. Out of our entire wedding party (8 on each side), only me and one other guy has NOT gotten divorced. He is one of my closest friends.

One of the best things about her that I admire the most is her instinct when it comes to people. She can meet someone and in minutes know if they are a douchebag, a saint, or anywhere in between. Her skill at assessing people quickly is uncanny and it is something that I wish I could do.

Sorry for the long post - but I started the thread and wanted to add to it.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 24 April 2018, 23:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTx View Post
I agree. My dad always said marry your best friend.
We dated 8 yrs, been married for 16 yrs.
I can agree with that from the other side of the fence. That I didn't do that -- and that I perhaps got married too early -- is part of the reason I'm getting divorced now.

Our new posting rules