SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 May 2018, 10:38
Authorized Personnel

This is going to blow up in every one of those State's faces.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:39
Confirmed User

"on the dole for generations, due to "disabilities".....That's $81,600 a year in benefits!"

And that sums up the overall crux of the problem, especially when they changed the name from welfare to entitlement. That money will not go towards bettering those childrens lives, it will be wasted by the putrid sack of flesh that unfortunately procreated.

Accountability needs to be returned to the system but I'm afraid that ship sailed many, many moons ago. It used to be that talk of reforming social security was politics third rail, it now seems that talk of reforming anything with 'entitlement' after it has become the third rail.

'Common sense' gun laws - cheers and applause, 'Common sense' entitlement reforms - boos, and cries of racism.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:42
Confirmed User

Granted, I am not a very intelligent man, but it would seem to me that it is clearly unconstitutional.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Granted, I am not a very intelligent man, but it would seem to me that it is clearly unconstitutional.
Each State can award their electoral points how they wish, as determined by their legislators.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Each State can award their electoral points how they wish, as determined by their legislators.
Then why do they need a total of 270 for the new laws to be enacted? (As per the article)
Old 11 May 2018, 10:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
Then why do they need a total of 270 for the new laws to be enacted? (As per the article)
huh?
Old 11 May 2018, 10:50
Confirmed User

Understood, CV. But by doing so the state has abrogated the will of it's citizenry to non-residents of the state.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Understood, CV. But by doing so the state has abrogated the will of it's citizenry to non-residents of the state.
I don't disagree with you. The Constitutional, however, allows States to allocate as they wish. That is what these knuckleheads are taking advantage of.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:56
Confirmed User

Fair enough. In any event, we are on very dangerous ground with these shenanigans.
Old 11 May 2018, 10:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Fair enough. In any event, we are on very dangerous ground with these shenanigans.
Very much so. They're poking a bear. I just hope that bear wakes up before it is poked to death.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
huh?
The article that was linked about this topic said that they needed 270 worth of electoral votes in order for the new voting rules ( popular vote) to be enacted. They only have 170 with the states that have signed on so far. So I am not understanding how if the states can make the laws they want about national elections they need 270 worth of electoral votes for the new laws to be enacted.

From the linked article

"The compact requires its members to cast their Electoral College ballots for the presidential candidate who wins the national popular vote. The agreement goes into effect once states representing at least 270 electoral votes the number needed for a candidate to win the presidency signs the compact."
Old 11 May 2018, 11:20

I probably could go along with a popular vote as the rule, as long as there was a nationwide ID system in place and much more vigorous false vote challenges and penalties.

The Dems would still find a way to game the system I am afraid.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:30

I wouldn't. Democracy is something the founders were vehemently against. Democracy is to be reviled and regarded as nothing but mob rule catering to the bottom rung of people. The Republic was originally created with only 1 of our 4 top government institutions (Senate, President, SCOTUS, House) of leadership decided by direct democracy for a very good reason. Voters of which used to be a very select few individuals. As soon as we opened up restrictions on who gets to vote, the toilet lever was pushed and we started our swirl down the drain.

The more you inject democracy into our nation, the worse we're going to become.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:18
Confirmed User

Don't get me going on our healthcare exchange program 'Access CT'....I've NEVER had a more f'd up experience with any government agency in my life. IRS is a close second. Inept, un-qualified, says they care but you know they don't really, can't get through, wait on the line, it goes dead....it's like I'm caught in a Twilight Zone episode.

Just learned today that my coverage has been cancelled...AGAIN, despite REPEATED phone calls, emails, assurances over the past 2 years.

Try this one on for size.....if you make over $98,500 in CT and you want to get health insurance for your family, you have to pay $3146/month (that's over $37K a year!!) NOT including your $6000 deductible...

With all the taxes, mortgage, gas etc etc....you need earn $100K a yr to break even here.

Spoke to a self employed woman the other day, she has to pay $700 a month. She tells me that a recent immigrant she knows just got her citizenship and pays $70.

WTF? over

Oh yeah I forgot...she was a lib and worked for the gov in D.C. herself, once she saw all the f'd up stuff going on she converted

Last edited by 19MIKE; 11 May 2018 at 12:22. Reason: adendum
Old 11 May 2018, 12:20
Sound off for equipment check!

Sounds like Connecticut just said, Screw our citizens. Whoever gets the most votes in the other states can have our share of the Electoral votes, too.

Disenfranchisement.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 11 May 2018, 12:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Don't get me going on our healthcare exchange program 'Access CT'....I've NEVER had a more f'd up experience with any government agency in my life. IRS is a close second. Inept, un-qualified, says they care but you know they don't really, can't get through, wait on the line, it goes dead....it's like I'm caught in a Twilight Zone episode.

Just learned today that my coverage has been cancelled...AGAIN, despite REPEATED phone calls, emails, assurances over the past 2 years.

Try this one on for size.....if you make over $98,500 in CT and you want to get health insurance for your family, you have to pay $3146/month (that's over $37K a year!!) NOT including your $6000 deductible...

With all the taxes, mortgage, gas etc etc....you need earn $100K a yr to break even here.

Spoke to a self employed woman the other day, she has to pay $700 a month. She tells me that a recent immigrant she knows just got her citizenship and pays $70.

WTF? over

Oh yeah I forgot...she was a lib and worked for the gov in D.C. herself, once she saw all the f'd up stuff going on she converted
Outrageous!!! Why I just use VA health now. A lot of faults with the VA, but it sure beats paying $450 a month and still having a $5000 deductible (what it would cost me).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 May 2018, 17:06
Confirmed User

A popular vote is directly opposed to a Constitutional Republic. The allocation of electoral college votes as is currently performed in presidential elections is one of the very last remnants we have of that republic. The Dems are looking for a way to erase that.

And yes - we should also have an ID system for voting as well. But the ID system with a popular vote system would still be counter to the integrity of the republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I probably could go along with a popular vote as the rule, as long as there was a nationwide ID system in place and much more vigorous false vote challenges and penalties.

The Dems would still find a way to game the system I am afraid.
Old 11 May 2018, 17:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Outrageous!!!.
The life time pensions are killing us. Case in point, I spoke with a guy today whose buddy is a retired firefighter. He medically retired at 47 yrs after 19 on the job.

$80K per year pension, I think he said it was tax free......PLUS full health insurance for he AND his wife....for life! 4% cost of living 'adjustment' PER YEAR written in to his contract or whatever the COL adjustment is determined to be.

Nice work if you can get it.

I think he said he's now moving to North Cackolackie (Carolina).....why the f not?

Last edited by 19MIKE; 11 May 2018 at 17:53.
Old 11 May 2018, 18:25
Confirmed User

This same guy, (who is a truck driver for a big freight forwarding company, and who happens to be Polish), said he was a life long democrat (because of the unions)...voted for Trump this time around and is glad he did...and everyone at the Polish club where he drinks knows that he voted for Trump and give's him shit everytime he's there because they voted for Hillary...

Whats wrong with you Poles Paul85????
Old 12 May 2018, 03:13
killjoy

Quote:
It makes no sense. Currently, all their electorals are already going blue, as they did with the 2016 election and the 30 years before that. They are already getting what they want but trying to make a law that, in the future, may bring about a situation where their entire population votes a certain way yet their state has to vote the opposite. In such a potential situation, the people of that state would be denied their representation.

Our new posting rules