SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 May 2018, 11:48
Administrator

Did you take Mefloquine too?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...take/547252165

This issue is starting to snowball. I blamed a lot of symptoms on Ambien use. Maybe I pointed the finger too soon.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 8 May 2018, 11:59
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...take/547252165

This issue is starting to snowball. I blamed a lot of symptoms on Ambien use. Maybe I pointed the finger too soon.
Check out my surprised face.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:01
Cry havoc

This is rich:

Quote:
Dr. Erickson, himself a veteran, described it as "concerning" that fellow veterans were ordered to take the drug without caution.
Yeah, because I can't believe my medical provider, an E4 medic, didn't sit us all down prior to getting on the birds and hold a counseling session on the do's and don'ts of WTF they were told to give us.

LOL

Two eyes from the east.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:08

After seeing the pictures of the pills and remembering the little white circular pills the corpsman would give to every one of us on a daily basis specifically 'to help prevent malaria'--- I am so thankful I listened to my dad and spit out every pill the mil "ordered" me to take. At the time I just viewed it mostly as a dumb act of retarded rebellion against the green weenie. Now I guess I lucked out......

The crazy thing is that the issues/side effects described in the link were, to a T, exhibited by some dude on our platoon that we all just brushed off as being a crazy mentally ill shitbag.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:19
Make a desert and call it peace.

I recall being told, as a platoon sergeant, to be on the lookout for paranoia and psychotic issues among the troops, and that it was related to the malaria. Anyone who seemed fucked up, was to be switched to the alternative drug. I also recall that the alternative drug was to be the primary for pilots, senior officers and other critical personal because there were no such potential side effects. There was talk, although it might have been sea stories, that the driving issue was dosage cost, as well as the dosage schedule requirements.

This was late 90's, early 2000's timeframe, prior to deployments to Central/South America(UNITAS) as well as OIF. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 8 May 2018, 12:37
Calix Meus Inebrians

Getting into Kandahar around January of 2002 with 3BCT; 101 ABN, and as part of the invasion from Kuwait to Baghdad in March 2003, everything was done on the fly, including what drugs we took. To this day, I have no idea what they were handing out, because it changed on a whim at times...I just knew I was supposed to take it as told. Sometimes the dosage was daily, sometimes it was weekly. Maybe it was just supplies on hand necessitating the changes, maybe they realized they were in danger of creating a brigade of psychos and adjusted, but I don't have any paperwork left over to inform me. When you're living out of a ruck or a truck, getting a side effects briefing and your records annotated isn't high on the priority list.

Guess I'll just wait for whatever may come and hope I can still be a productive member of society.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:44
Bitter old man.

I only took one pill, then did some research. After that I just drank tonic water and took my chances.
Old 8 May 2018, 12:45
Old Scroll

Just another Manic Mefloquine Monday was the routine for a full year of OIF 1 at CJSOTF-W/AP. Big ass white horse pills in blister packs.

The Rx never changed, and I guess stocks of the med were good, because we were always told to take our meds on Monday... Tuesday mornings were strange story time.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 May 2018, 13:11
BTDT

As a private in the 82nd during the early 80's to mid 90's, we took this so often I don't even remember where all we took it for. I do know we took it for JOTC in 84. Then in 3rd Group between 97-00, I practically started pre-dosing before finishing the Primaquin post-dosing for just about the entire period. Then three early OEF's and and an OIF, and I used to feel robbed I never had the dreams. I guess I should count myself lucky I don't have any of the listed issues now.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 8 May 2018, 13:14
I aim to misbehave

I was on Mefloquine in '06 and '07. I'm 99% certain it's responsible for a lot of issues I've had since then: insomnia, poor sleep when I do get to sleep, forgetfullness, panic/anxiety (attacks, not generalized)...it's been pretty shitty.

Edit:
The briefing I got was basically "this stuff might make you more aggressive or paranoid, and it causes vivid dreams." Most certainly nothing about effing brain damage.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 May 2018, 13:26
Old and Broke

Good luck getting treatment from the VA without anything in the records.
Old 8 May 2018, 13:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I was on Mefloquine in '06 and '07. I'm 99% certain it's responsible for a lot of issues I've had since then: insomnia, poor sleep when I do get to sleep, forgetfullness, panic/anxiety (attacks, not generalized)...it's been pretty shitty.

Edit:
The briefing I got was basically "this stuff might make you more aggressive or paranoid, and it causes vivid dreams." Most certainly nothing about effing brain damage.
A lot of the same symptoms I have had, particularly poor sleep and forgetfulness. I always blamed it on the Ambien. I lived on Bagram and we worked Zulu time, 1600-0400 local, so Ambien was the only way I could sleep through the F-16s taking off every 20 minutes all day every day. When I got home after the first trip, I started realizing I couldn't remember what I did the day before. I had issues getting to sleep, and then when I finally got to sleep I would wake up after 15 min and be up for hours, like I had just had a power nap. Mefloquine as the cause never occurred to me.

-ZZ Top
Old 8 May 2018, 13:32
Policeman Officer

We all took it for the beginning of the invasion. Lots of crazy dreams. I dreamt I stabbed my beloved childhood dog to death. Most if not all of us stopped taking it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 May 2018, 13:39
Going cyclic!!

Shit. I have trouble sleeping and forgetfulness too, I chalked it up to old age.
2003- Iraq, I took it every day and for the 1 month after I was home just like they told me to
2007/08-Iraq, I took it once in awhile when I remembered(it was winter that time, so I figured I didn't need it as much)
2013/14-Astan-I didn't take it all. Once again it was winter in the mountains, so I figured I didn't need it.

Why can't the side effect be, getting smarter or a bigger dick?
Old 8 May 2018, 13:53
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
A lot of the same symptoms I have had, particularly poor sleep and forgetfulness. I always blamed it on the Ambien. I lived on Bagram and we worked Zulu time, 1600-0400 local, so Ambien was the only way I could sleep through the F-16s taking off every 20 minutes all day every day. When I got home after the first trip, I started realizing I couldn't remember what I did the day before. I had issues getting to sleep, and then when I finally got to sleep I would wake up after 15 min and be up for hours, like I had just had a power nap. Mefloquine as the cause never occurred to me.
It ever get any better? I don't bring it up much, but I really worry for my family if it gets worse. I lost a job several years back just from the sleep disturbances, and with memory issues and trouble concentrating becoming more severe over time, I'm pretty worried about what happens if I lose what has turned out to be a pretty badass career.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 May 2018, 14:03
Confirmed User

As an aside, would taking melatonin help with regulating your sleep cycle?

Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the brain and helps with sleep regulation.

I use it when I am jet-lagged to help with getting my body and brain back into a proper sleep cycle.
Old 8 May 2018, 14:07
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
As an aside, would taking melatonin help with regulating your sleep cycle?

Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the brain and helps with sleep regulation.

I use it when I am jet-lagged to help with getting my body and brain back into a proper sleep cycle.

I've tried melatonin, and it works great for a few days or weeks, but then I have to keep increasing the dosage. When I was single, I'd just drink until I could sleep. I can neither confirm nor deny that cannabis was useful in the past. These days...well, hippy bullshit or not, meditation and mindfulness seem to be about the best tools in my arsenal, for now.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 May 2018, 14:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
It ever get any better? I don't bring it up much, but I really worry for my family if it gets worse. I lost a job several years back just from the sleep disturbances, and with memory issues and trouble concentrating becoming more severe over time, I'm pretty worried about what happens if I lose what has turned out to be a pretty badass career.

Sleep is better. 15mg of melatonin per night has helped. Memory issues remain, but not as pronounced. Some days just feels like my brain is sort of in a fog. I also have a bad case of Tinnitus to go with it. So, yeah it's gotten better with time but never been the same.

-ZZ Top
Old 8 May 2018, 14:13
Unemployed Stunt Double

Bunch of whiners...I spent at least 10 years on Mefloquine, and Iím the picture of all that is right and normal.
Old 8 May 2018, 14:18
Been There Done That

I took Quinine...same shit?

Our new posting rules