Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 May 2018, 14:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Bunch of whiners...I spent at least 10 years on Mefloquine, and Iím the picture of all that is right and normal.

Heh...
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 8 May 2018, 14:27
Been There Done That

What you have here is some congress-critter got payed off to have that drug become the primary prophy for malaria in the DOD formulary.

It did not come off patent until mid-2002 as I recall... So, for a couple of years before that it would have been the full-freight price to DOD as a name brand med.

Doxycycline, which has been off-patent forever, works just fine when taken qd...

But no one was making millions off supplying doxy to the DOD...

Last edited by sixgun; 8 May 2018 at 14:32.
Old 8 May 2018, 14:36
Confirmed User

I’m glad we were issued Doxycycline instead of lariam/mefloquine.

But even doxy has its issues.

The 2nd/3rd and final 4th times I came off doxy finishing at home(as I recall daily doxy continued for 2 weeks once home) it consistently included 2 nights each time in the fetal position feeling like my guts were in knots.

I know some folks who have had gastro issues post deployment, assuming their gut flora has been messed up by the doxy.

For me it’s consistently been 2 really uncomfortable nights at the end.

There are some studies comparing/contrasting Aussies on Meflo/doxy post Timor over 15 years ago.

I wonder if they will go back and hit those cohorts again to review any long term issue correlations?

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old Scroll

So what's the way forward if you were on the Mef but don't have it in your records?

Has the VA put out a presumption of service connection based on being in the box during a particular period?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
What you have here is some congress-critter got payed off to have that drug become the primary prophy for malaria in the DOD formulary.

It did not come off patent until mid-2002 as I recall... So, for a couple of years before that it would have been the full-freight price to DOD as a name brand med.

Doxycycline, which has been off-patent forever, works just fine when taken qd...

But no one was making millions off supplying doxy to the DOD...
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.

Luckily for my small roll of doing nothing, I don't recall having ever taken it... that said, I have some FUCKED up dreams and I've never been paranoid...mostly. LOL

I've been down south a number of times but don't recall having been given anything. Except for some tiger blood, but that was simply to dampen my #DragonEnergy.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 8 May 2018, 14:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I took Quinine...same shit?
No, quinine is a different drug, been in use forever, resulting in quinine-resistant strains of malaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
So what's the way forward if you were on the Mef but don't have it in your records?

Has the VA put out a presumption of service connection based on being in the box during a particular period?
Mefloquine is still an approved drug by the FDA. The USGOV has not acknowledged any issues with it. The VA will likely pay it no mind for a long time to come. It doesn't help when there are guys claiming total disability after using it for one month.

I contracted breakthrough malaria years ago (meaning I was taking anti-malarials and got it anyway).

Malaria is no fun.
Old 8 May 2018, 14:56
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

Wish I could tell you. The VA doesn't have any record of that deployment at all, in my case. I'm trying to figure out how to address that. I can get others who were there with me to write letters stating I was there and did, in fact, receive mef...but I doubt it will help.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 May 2018, 15:15
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Wish I could tell you. The VA doesn't have any record of that deployment at all, in my case. I'm trying to figure out how to address that. I can get others who were there with me to write letters stating I was there and did, in fact, receive mef...but I doubt it will help.
There has to be orders in your iperms.
Old 8 May 2018, 15:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
But even doxy has its issues....
Was on doxy during my tours to S. Afghanistan, and only had issue once...took it before going on a mission that night, puked it right back up, and headed out. Glad we weren't given anything different...
Old 8 May 2018, 15:52
Administrator

Took it when I deployed to Africa in '87. We had the 05 Doc on our operation with us. He told it was optional as it could cause death, but the risks otherwise were worth it. I asked him if he was taking it and he replied yes, so I did too.
Old 8 May 2018, 16:29
Confirmed User

I read about the side effects of larium/mefloquine in Mog in 1993 and decided never to take it. It was an army logs dream at 1 pill per week. I've spent around 10 years since in Africa/Asia malarial prone countries and NEVER take any prophylactic malarial medication. I treat any suspected outbreak with Coartem 3 days with a course of Doxycycline starting on the last day. Particularly effective against cerebral malaria, ie South Sudan, DRC, Rwanda, Burundi etc.
Old 8 May 2018, 16:38
Been There Done That

I had cerebral malaria before, wish I had been taking it. Treated with Melerone.

I wonder what the long term effect of taking Doxy for long time, like continually for 1-3 years is also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 May 2018, 16:48
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
There has to be orders in your iperms.
My experience is very old, and prior to all the post-9/11 deployments he described, but I was sent to many places for short periods of time without any formal travel orders, TDY documentation, etc. because the entire unit was not deploying and I was still assigned to the unit which on paper never went anywhere. Anything associated with those trips is just not worth arguing over with the VA.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 8 May 2018, 17:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I wonder what the long term effect of taking Doxy for long time, like continually for 1-3 years is also.
Long-term doxy use can have some pretty negative effects. As is the case with all FDA-approved pharm, incidence of severe issues tends to be anecdotal (same as mefloquine).

While mefloquine certainly has some negative side effects, the incidence of permanent negative effects is rare, at best. Seriously, read thru the linked article, and evaluate what some of the folks are reporting, and then look at how long they took mefloquine.
Old 8 May 2018, 17:14
Confirmed User

If these were the big red tablets, then I took it. I also remember going into Thailand, we got ordered up to the mess decks for shots.

Got my shot, then stood in another line to sign the form that said I was volunteering for a new encephalitis vaccine. Me being me, I asked if maybe I shouldn't have volunteered first, and then taken the shot?

The reply was pretty much "Shut up and get back to work"....
Old 8 May 2018, 17:16
Been There Done That

Well if the Government gave it to you....It couldn't be harmful. Could it?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 May 2018, 18:42
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Was on doxy during my tours to S. Afghanistan, and only had issue once...took it before going on a mission that night, puked it right back up, and headed out. Glad we weren't given anything different...
Same experience, the one time "do not take on an empty stomach" actually carried some weight.

One of our guys got sent home because of it, took two and went to bed and it burnt a hole in his stomach wall supposedly.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:04
Confirmed User

Damn, so many things we as young recruit's had no idea what was being given to us.
Being a submariner, we were only given stuff like anthrax vaccines etc when going to ME.
Been given allot of Doxy over the years though, even as a kid, for acne i believe.
Old 8 May 2018, 19:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
While mefloquine certainly has some negative side effects, the incidence of permanent negative effects is rare, at best. Seriously, read thru the linked article, and evaluate what some of the folks are reporting, and then look at how long they took mefloquine.
I thought the same thing.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 8 May 2018, 22:00
My ERB's on SOCNET

From the FDA... in 20-fucking-13

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM362232.pdf

The first two paragraphs sum it up nicely:

A boxed warning, the most serious kind of warning about these
potential problems, has been added to the drug label. FDA has revised the patient Medication Guide
dispensed with each prescription and wallet card to include this information and the possibility that the
neurologic side effects may persist or become permanent. The neurologic side effects can include
dizziness, loss of balance, or ringing in the ears. The psychiatric side effects can include feeling anxious,
mistrustful, depressed, or having hallucinations (For a more complete list of potential side effects, see
Additional Information for Patients).
Neurologic side effects can occur at any time during drug use, and can last for months to years after the
drug is stopped or can be permanent. Patients, caregivers, and health care professionals should watch
for these side effects. When using the drug to prevent malaria, if a patient develops neurologic or
psychiatric symptoms, mefloquine should be stopped, and an alternate medicine should be used.

Our new posting rules