SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 May 2018, 03:16
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I had cerebral malaria before, wish I had been taking it. Treated with Melerone.

I wonder what the long term effect of taking Doxy for long time, like continually for 1-3 years is also.
Youíre lucky to have survived that with a normal quality of life from cerebral malaria. Good on you.

This thread reads like an Alex Jones monologue.
I feel for you guys and hope you all get your due from the .gov for having to take those medications. Sometimes the side effects of meds are worse than the diseases they aim to prevent/treat.

Thank you all for your service, truly.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:15
Confirmed User

Mefloquine use

Took it everyday as ordered OEF 10-12. the medicine gave us some really vivid dreams. I looked at it as unblocked pay per view. Side effects ? None that I can recall. Certainly much safer than my canteen of Levy water. I did learn to never chew that pill up.
Old 9 May 2018, 18:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
This thread reads like an Alex Jones monologue.
Really? Why?
Old 9 May 2018, 18:34
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Really? Why?
I've been chewing on that awhile myself but couldn't decide whether to ask.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 May 2018, 18:53
Make a desert and call it peace.

I'm still pondering the purpose of invading and fighting over some shithole where you have to take drugs with horrible side effects to avoid even more horrible diseases. We should send our convicts there instead of our troops. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 9 May 2018, 19:24
Squelch

took in 03-04, remember the dreams others had.
I went from having a great memory to now being frustrated daily trying to remember key factors important for my job.

I am 95% confident that I saw a mefloquin or lariam page on the VA website way back when that has since been removed as more and more stories about Mefloquin toxicity or lariam poisoning come to light and I have always though since first hearing about it, that it is probably a large cause in at least some of the PTSD cases.

I tried to contact one of the people here at the SLC VA and never got a response back. Don't think I ever will unless I physically go to the hospital and even then we know how that will go.

I honestly hope I'm not affected by it with my memory, or the low grade depression they claim I have, the foggy memory feelings, the weird but subtle ringing in my ears. If so I'd like to at least know.

They still have a mefloquine page or lariam on the VA website, but it just leads you offsite its apart of the war related illness and injury study center.
Old 9 May 2018, 19:27
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I'm still pondering the purpose of invading and fighting over some shithole where you have to take drugs with horrible side effects to avoid even more horrible diseases. We should send our convicts there instead of our troops. S/F....Ken M
Phase one, we air assault the entire contents of the San Quentin SHU into Marjah. Phase two TBD.

I mean, look how Australia turned out.
Old 9 May 2018, 22:33
Been There Done That

I took a bunch of anti-malaria meds for years AND have damned tinnitus too. Lucky I didn't get malaria, but I did see a few folks that did.
Old 10 May 2018, 00:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
No, quinine is a different drug, been in use forever, resulting in quinine-resistant strains of malaria....
...I contracted breakthrough malaria years ago (meaning I was taking anti-malarials and got it anyway).

Malaria is no fun.
Never been in the military, however been in a similar situation. Was on anti-malarial meds and still got malaria. I had a broken ankle at the same time. Unfortunate coincidence as every time a malarial chill came where I shook, my foot would shake too. Sucked. First set of Choroloquinine doses didn't do much. I was given Quinine Sulphate pills which finally knocked the bug out. It wasn't the worst form of Malaria, but definitely one that had become resistant.

My dad got the deadliest strain of malaria one time (Plasmodium Falciparum). Fortunately it was diagnosed quickly and he got his meds through IV. The Dr. who treated him died a year later of the same strain; he treated himself and tried to push through it without realizing it was P. Falciparum.

Over the years I've taken mefloquine, doxy, and malarone. No issues with any of them that I can tell.
Old 10 May 2018, 04:35
Been There Done That

We lost a incredible young Khmer lady, a biologist and first girl in Cambodia to complete a masters degree in wildlife conservation, to falciparum malaria. She was misdiagnosed at first. The problem is sometimes the rudimentary testing they do in third world countries comes back negative. So always get tested several times. I tested negative the first time also, on second test then I did test positive for falciparum. If you have the symptoms, probably good chance you have and start treatment! Falciparum if left untreated for just a couple of days can result in a coma and subsequent loss of life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 May 2018, 05:36
Another pool cleaner

Was stationed in the PI, did multiple pumps to Africa and C & S. America.

Got it (mild) despite prophylaxis.

Always thought my thoughts & dreams of hurting people was just me being me. Meh.

A good friend of mine was a big time researcher of malaria as a Navy doc.

The things he witnessed of malaria and other mosquito born infections...shudder...
Old 10 May 2018, 07:22
Confirmed User

I remember the very first mefloquine pill I took heading to Somalia the first time in 92. That shit hit like a freight train. Over time, it tamped down to the vivid and sometimes violent dreams. I remember being given primoquine on occassion as well.

I have been in the AOR as a civilian pretty much constantly since 2003 and I refuse to take any of that shit now. I remember being issued mef in 2003 into 2004, then it was doxicycline after that.

My poison of choice is the burn pit :D
Old 11 May 2018, 06:48
Been There Done That

Took mefloquine during OIF 1 and started having disturbingly violent dreams. We really need to be careful with this drug considering who is taking it and what we require of them. Switched to doxycycline for later deployments.
Old 12 May 2018, 16:05

I was suspicious back in 2011/2012 when they started heavy revisions of the malaria control/prevention guidelines.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...post1058678492
Old 14 May 2018, 09:07
Combat Dorito

I was stationed at the DAO in New Delhi for three years from 03-06 and I stopped taking the Mefloquine after the first 2 months due to waking terrors and associated weird shit.

Going to Africa over the past several years we were issued the daily med, which was a pain to remember to take each day, but had no significant noticed side effects.
Old 14 May 2018, 09:52
Been There Done That

I was in Southern Africa in the late 90's and had the most fucked up, surreal hallucination on Mefloguine. Half of my brain was telling me that there was an elephant in the tent, the other half was aware that it was nothing more than a shadow. I ignored the stupid half and racked out.

My guide said that only the Americans get prescribed that shit and to stay away from it. I was given doxycycline in the military.

Last edited by Shark0311; 14 May 2018 at 10:04.
Old 14 May 2018, 12:26
Been There Done That

I can't believe that old school, watch crystal eating bug juice hasn't been shown to cause warts or some shit. I don't think I'll ever get the smell of that shit, mixed with a cammie stick amid the exhaust fumes of whatever you were boarding out of my nose.
Old 16 May 2018, 20:24

During OIF in March 03, we had a little plastic baggie with small orange pills they said were anti malaria pills. Does anyone know if those were the mefloquine or the doxycycline?
Old 16 May 2018, 22:32
Squelch

Pretty sure my Mefloquin was white.
hard to remember after 15 years and well mefloquin causing foggy memory.
Old 17 May 2018, 01:45
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
During OIF in March 03, we had a little plastic baggie with small orange pills they said were anti malaria pills. Does anyone know if those were the mefloquine or the doxycycline?
Probably Doxy or Primaquine. Never seen orange Mefloquine but I'm also not a doc.

https://www.drugs.com/primaquine-images.html

https://www.drugs.com/doxycycline-images.html

https://www.drugs.com/mefloquine-images.html

Our new posting rules