SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 May 2018, 17:19
Confirmed User

MS261 or MS461. The 461 is the best power to weight saw there is.
Old 13 May 2018, 18:44
Been There Done That

I don't some hazardous tree removal on the side while I was in Georgia. The guy I worked with had all the equipment. His whole line up was Stihl saws for every job. Always dependable and serviced locally.

Husky's were a big seller there too with a servicing dealer as well.

Both good saws.

Fuck a Poulan anything.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 May 2018, 19:05
Been There Done That

I had two Pull-ons. The "good" ones, POS. Now have two Stihls. Great reliable piece of equipment, I would not buy anything else.
Old 13 May 2018, 20:30
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Stay with Stihl or Husquvarna, if cost is an issue think about alternative seller channels - pawn shop, craigslist, etc.

Picked up a killer mower this past fall for $75 at the pawn, hardly used, retailed at $225.
I second that.I have used both professionally for years. I dont consider anything else.
Old 13 May 2018, 23:38
Sound off for equipment check!

A few years back I needed to buy a no-nonsense, reliable chainsaw to use on medium to small one-man jobs on my tree farm. Id used a Husqvarna for several years and wasnt wholly satisfied with it. A local dealer I knew said to check with several local tree service companies and see what they use and ask them why. The responses were unanimous.

Thats why I have a Stihl today. Ill wear out before it does...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 13 May 2018, 23:53
Been There Done That

I bought a Husky 460 Rancher about 10 years ago-

I think I'm on my 3 or 4th bar but I also upgraded to 36" bars.

I have cut a shitload of Tennessee cedars (16-24") with it and the only complaint I have is that I have to stop and sharpen the chain to often for my liking.

Just curious but what are you cutting? When I cut pulpwood in FLA we used a chainsaw with a bow bar cutting bar- cant remember what brand, but they cut all day every day...
Old 14 May 2018, 01:12
Confirmed User

What size wood are you cutting? I have cut thousands of trees/logs when I logged with Stihl 460's and 660's. That said I have a Husqavarna 372 in my pickup now but prefer the 460 or 660. I personally would want something large enough where I can run full size chain. The 260 size is about as small as you can go and still do that. If the wood you cut warrants a 28" or larger bar I would get a full skip chain. Try to only run ethanol free gas in it also if you can. I would also suggest learning how to hand file vs a grinder unless you are willing to spend big money on something like a Silvey but for the sound of it that isn't going to be very practical.

Last edited by wowzers; 14 May 2018 at 01:23.
Old 14 May 2018, 03:30
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
What size wood are you cutting?
My first question as well. Stihl makes a small saw(14" or 16") that you can buy brand new for $200. If you need to go up in size but want to save money, a good compromise would be the Husq.

If you can't get ethanol free gas you can make it yourself using water to separate the layers and drain from the bottom. Or you could just run the saw until it runs out of gas before putting it away for a season. Should you try and start it after letting it sit with gas and get no start, open it up and clean up the baffle and carb.

I've tried the hand file on the chain myself but never get anywhere near the sharp results I get from the machine shop. It's only $5 and the chain comes back like new.
Old 14 May 2018, 05:15
Make a desert and call it peace.

I run Stihl but Husky is also nice. I've heard good things about Jonsered also, but have Stihl support locally. I've had 26,31 and 66 Stihl's, it's a matter of the right tool for the specific job, and not trying to run too much bar with too small a powerhead. Lugging the 66 around with a 36" bar gets old fast doing minor limbing and such.

100LL avgas is pure alkylate and stores very well, although it is leaded. VP makes a small engine fuel that also stores well. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Im about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnt do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 14 May 2018, 08:31
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Get a gas Stihl.

DeWalt stuff has turned to Chinese shit.

While electric and cordless are cool, the one time you really need a saw will be when the power is out for a week.
^^^this

Stihl I've never had a problem with. My company uses them, and they're damn near bomb proof.
Huslavarna are tough.
Homelites suck, once they age a little.
And my poulan that I had to buy once years ago, because it was a huge winter storm, and it was the last one left on the shelves, I later figured out why it was still sitting there, lol.

Last edited by billdawg; 14 May 2018 at 08:40.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:44
Been There Done That

When you buy Stihl pre-mix fuel or additive they extend your warranty (with initial purchase). It's a bit more expensive but I find it to be more convenient to run pre-mix. I just buy it by the case. They will also offer 10% - 20% off. 20% if you have a EIN.
Old 14 May 2018, 09:03
Administrator

I bought a full sized Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar on Craigslist for $200 that had been cranked maybe 10 times. Look around. Buy once, cry once.

I second the protective gear. I grew up with a guy who ran a saw every day cutting pine timber for over 40 years. Somewhat of a local legend when it came to dropping trees. He never had a single accident, until he did. Short bar kickback got him on the side of the neck and almost killed him.

This sharpener is the best $45 dollars you will ever spend. Trust me.

https://www.ebay.com/p/STIHL-2-in-1-Easy-File-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener-3-8-P/1542621612?iid=232761823672&chn=ps
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 14 May 2018, 09:49
Bitter old man.

I got a Jonsered I got second hand 20 years ago and it is still going strong.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:05
Been There Done That

From my viewpoint a chainsaw is one of those tools that you need when the power is out, its -15 outside, freezing rain and you really need to get someone to the hospital, but a tree is blocking your driveway. So it better work when you need it to work.

I have a small horse ranch about 5 miles off any paved road, 11 years ago an ice storm hit, no power for 10 days, temps below freezing, 15 -20 trees/big limbs down across the road. A Husqvarna 455 rancher allowed me to cut a path to the hardball.

Today I have 6 chainsaws, a mixture of Husqvarna and Stihl.

Get the best chainsaw that you can afford, Husqvarna or Stihl, keep a few brand new chains tucked away for emergencies, as well as alcohol free gas/oil mix. Also if you go with Husqvarna, keep some spare primer bulbs handy, the alcohol gas really eats them up, and a couple of extra spark plugs.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:10
BTDT

Lowes offers a 10% discount program to Vets. I bought a Husky 18" or 20" (forget) from them years ago and it's still kicking. 12v Rotary Sharpeners are awesome. I wouldn't think electric could cut it (pun intended) for anything but branches - but I don't know the current battery tech.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:30
33,024 - R.I.P.

To the OP...thanks for starting this thread. I bought a Poulan to clear trees for the same ice storm that litepath mentioned earlier. It was cheap, and now I can see why. It's a POS that leaks bar oil all over the case, and requires adjustments to chain tension constantly. Looks like a Stihl or Husqy is in my future.

Any recommendations on good replacement chains and bars?
Old 14 May 2018, 10:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

I use Oregon bars and Stihl chains.

As for safety gear, I probably use a saw for something 10 times a week. I don't put all that stuff on if I have to cut 3 minutes worth of stuff. I have chaps, but only use them when I get serious about cutting wood or clearing brush.

Might get me bit in the ass one of these days, as I age I get more and more in touch with my own mortality. There was a time I would have scoffed at chaps for any application other than going to a Villiage People concert with Sharky.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Lowes offers a 10% discount program to Vets.
Sidenote - you used to be able to show an ID card, but now they make you register through Lowes.com and they will only verify you via your phone number. If you're not listed as a Veteran in their system they won't give you the discount.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:45
I really don't care

Chainsaws, weed-eaters, and blowers. I've used them all. Sthil wins every time. Echo is making some good weed-eaters and blowers.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:46
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
...Stay with Stihl or Husquvarna...
Yup.

I bought a Husquvarne nearly 20 years ago And would still haven’t had a not been stolen with my last truck.

Replaced it with a Stihl. I bought the Husky at Lowe’s and the Stihl at my locally owned and operated Ace. For what I cut, the 16” bar works just fine. I keep extra blades, all I need now is the super Shary sharpener and few primer bulbs.

ETA: before I was every allowed to run one, Dad said, “Never loan someone your chain saw.”.

Our new posting rules