Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 May 2018, 11:55
Six Minutes!

With Stihl, don't overlook the little ones for light-medium daily work-

I have a MS180 and MS170- 1 each for cabin and house. Even though I have a 44 and 66, I use the little guys more than the rest combined. They're little, but also have a narrower kerf, so they cut pretty fast for their size. FWIW, I only have spruce and birch up here which are pretty soft.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 14 May 2018, 11:58
Authorized Personnel

I've got a little 16" MS210 I use for light stuff. It performs well.
Old 14 May 2018, 12:09
Been There Done That

my mom's got a battery powered 16". it's not anywhere close to gas power and easy to kill the battery on a hot day. she's got a plugged pole saw too, and it's pretty damn weak comparatively too, but she can't pull a gas saw, so....

I've got a 16" Stihl MS-whatever that cuts everything I need on my 7 acres except my big, maturely dead oak that came down last year. my cedars will dull the chain quickly though. I haven't had any issues with it and ethanol gas if I run it dry for storage.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 14 May 2018, 13:08
Genetically Deplorable

I've also rented a great Sthil polesaw. Everything you rent or buy that is made by Stihl is going to be very expensive. I completely stay away from all their peripheral stuff such as face masks and safety gear. Ridiculously overpriced.
Old 14 May 2018, 14:39
Authorized Personnel

I have. Husquavarna 372 and a 460. I bought the 460 when I bought my 26 acre homestead. It has the 24" bar. I am on the second bar. When I upgrade it will be to a Stihl Pro Grade, the big fucker. I'll also buy the smallest pro grade, something lightweight to limb with.

I have a Stihl 110 powerhead that runs all the different attachments, one of which is the pole saw, handy little bastard.

To keep the bar oil from leaking out of a saw when storing it, you should crack the top on the reservoir when you are done using it.

I also second or third the ethanol free gas.
Old 14 May 2018, 15:06
Authorized Personnel

I haven't had a Husqvarna saw, but I have a Husqvarna push mower. Stored it with gas from the gas station (though I think I put in a bit of Sta-bil when I put it away) in October.

Two pulls and it started right up yesterday.
Old 14 May 2018, 17:16

Growing up, my dad bought ONE Stihl chainsaw. It has felled countless trees and chewed up many logs and stumps. Never once did it require anything more than proper maintenance and new chains every now and then. When the time comes for me to buy a chainsaw, I will be buying a Stihl as well.
Old 14 May 2018, 23:24
Spice Weasel

I grew up with a Stihl and it's still sitting in my dad's shop. We used it on everything from Doug Fir to Oak.

But the question you should really be asking yourself is how fast your chainsaw can dispatch a nuisance alligator.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 15 May 2018, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I have had good luck with the Echo brand as a less expensive alternative to Stihl.
I have a great Stihl dealer very close and a crap Echo dealer just as close. Two years ago I wanted a 60cc Stihl but ended up with a 60cc Echo. The Stihl seemed big and clunky whereas the Stihl seemed to be a much better value and then even better since I ordered it on line. They are known for gobs of torque and easy starting.

The Echo has a 4 yr warranty which with saws don't mean much because if you take it in, it will always be your fault anyway.

I own a 55cc Echo for 28 years, and a 50CC Stihl 026 for 20 years and a 35cc Efco for 10 years. All of them work great but wanted a bigger saw with more power and a 3/8" chain for bigger projects. The 35cc saw works fine but has a small chain witch I don't care for.

For just starting out I don't think I would get anything bigger than 50cc. Any big named brand with a close dealer will help. That should be big enough unless you have many 20" diameter and larger tall trees to take care of.

The OP is talking electric so I imagine a little 35cc saw would probably work and I personally would not get an electric one anyway. Gas saws generally very reliable with good gas and oil.
Old 15 May 2018, 05:44
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Sidenote - you used to be able to show an ID card, but now they make you register through Lowes.com and they will only verify you via your phone number. If you're not listed as a Veteran in their system they won't give you the discount.
I did everything Online and just went and picked it up at 'Will Call'. IIRC, you can pick the option 'Mail Me A Card' instead of giving them a phone number when you register online. I didn't find it overly intrusive, YMMV. Saved $35 on a Grill, so it was worth it for me.
Old 15 May 2018, 06:05
Confirmed User

Get a good second-hand ms460 or a new ms461 and you're set.
Old 15 May 2018, 17:30
Been There Done That

I have only used stihl, from cutting firewood for elk camp to dropping hardwoods here on the farm. I have a small , medium, and large saw. I am not as strong as I once was and favor the limbing over my head with the little saws, or when up in a tree. I like the long bar, 24'' min. for limbing on the ground . I have learned to rebuild them all myself, so repairs are minimal. I need to figure out what to do with all the old bars and chains , though.
Old 15 May 2018, 17:40
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
my mom's got a battery powered 16".
Dude, your mom runs a chainsaw.

That's bad ass.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:14
Make a desert and call it peace.

^^ I was thinking this was the best Mother's Day gift thread ever.

"So, what'd you get your Mom for Mother's Day?"
"New chainsaw...how about you?"

S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 15 May 2018, 18:26
Been There Done That

^^^That's just great, now I have Monty Python, "I am a lumberjack" stuck in my mind.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:56
The atomic zit

Crying woman running from the stage, “and I thought you were so rugged.”

Just go watch the video. It will knock it right out of your head.
Old 15 May 2018, 21:03
Been There Done That

Yeah, she’s pretty badass. Always has been.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 15 May 2018, 23:18
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
^^^That's just great, now I have Monty Python, "I am a lumberjack" stuck in my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE
Old 16 May 2018, 00:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I have only used stihl, from cutting firewood for elk camp to dropping hardwoods here on the farm. I have a small , medium, and large saw. I am not as strong as I once was and favor the limbing over my head with the little saws, or when up in a tree. I like the long bar, 24'' min. for limbing on the ground . I have learned to rebuild them all myself, so repairs are minimal. I need to figure out what to do with all the old bars and chains , though.
When I was sawing landing I preferred a long bar (30-32") too especially being as tall as I am, it meant less leaning over to limb them. You can cut some pretty big sticks with just a 28" bar though. I know I've tripped some cedar pushing 6' but that's only because they are usually cull in the butt log when they get that big.

There used to be a machine called a Barshop that would true the rails and straighten the bar. I believe you could also regrind the groove for the drive links. Probably not worth it though unless you use your saw a lot. Might find a saw shop with one too to fix them up.
Old 20 May 2018, 00:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
With Stihl, don't overlook the little ones for light-medium daily work-

I have a MS180 and MS170- 1 each for cabin and house. Even though I have a 44 and 66, I use the little guys more than the rest combined. They're little, but also have a narrower kerf, so they cut pretty fast for their size. FWIW, I only have spruce and birch up here which are pretty soft.
I would second this. I have a Farm Boss and a 170 and since getting the 170 I hardly use the Boss. The 170 is great for limbing and cutting smaller trees. I can handle it pretty easily one handed so it works well for clearing shooting lanes near my deer stand. I would buy that over an electric any day unless your work is limited.

Our new posting rules