Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 May 2018, 13:36
Confirmed User

Exclamation Fallout Continues for Dick's Sporting Goods

I know there is a subject on this some where, it's just one of those days where I can't find a dam thing.

Gun-Grab: Fallout Continues for Dick's Sporting Goods

Recall shortly after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, Dick's Sporting Goods immediately yanked 'assault rifles' from its shelves and announced they'd stop selling rifles to anyone under the age of 21. Of course, we saw the writing on the wall despite that Dick's and the heads of their subsidiary Field & Stream were oblivious to what was sure to happen next. There was an uproar among hunters, sportsmen and Second Amendment supporters who announced boycotts. Then this week, Dick's really stepped in it. Word leaked out that the corporation had hired a lobbyist to push gun control legislation on Capitol Hill. That ill-fated move has now prompted the Mossberg corporation -- the oldest gun manufacturer in the country -- to pull guns from Dick's shelves. Mossberg is joined by MKS Supply, another gun maker, in the selling freeze. Dick's move could cost them millions in lost sales. Good.
Old 13 May 2018, 15:50
Confirmed User

Good. Fuck 'em. We have a Dick's in town, but I've only been a few times since it opened 5+ years ago. Their prices and stock weren't any better than what I could get online.
Old 13 May 2018, 18:56
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I was with Chick’s Sporting Goods for a few years as LP before they became Dick’s Sporting Goods, I much preferred Chick’s before the transformation and left for Sport Chalet, that company recently folded as well.

Out of the three, Dick’s was the only serious retail firearms dealership, and they admittedly had the corner market on gun enthusiast clientele, so seeing as how they have built such a huge customer base in gun sales, I am perplexed how corporate would let political pressure befall their retail firearms program- they have very little to gain and more to lose in my opinion..

Meanwhile Big 5, Turners,?and Bass Pro might be the only brick and mortars left with the trifecta of economy guns and ammo?

Dumb move Dick’s.
Old 13 May 2018, 23:00
Been There Done That

I thought about buying a canoe from them.Not no more. Fuck them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 May 2018, 23:09
Authorized Personnel

The local Dicks where I am is more of a golf and softball type store. The sporting goods are very limited.
Old 13 May 2018, 23:17
The Sagacious One

If they think they can pay the bills selling yoga pants to fat chicks and Silverbullet, then have at it.
Old 14 May 2018, 00:42
Been There Done That

Over priced joint anyhow. They just put in a Royal King here. It's a redneck, hillbilly heaven.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 14 May 2018, 06:25
Authorized Personnel

If Rural King doesn't have it, you don't need it. We have one down here too.
Old 14 May 2018, 07:42
Über Equus Asinus

I have never considered buying a firearm at Dicks... Honestly I didnt even know they sold them...

I do need a new set of running shoes...

I likely would have gone to Dicks to pick up a new set... There is a store just a few miles from my house..

I'll be hitting the Nike and the UA Outlet now instead to see what they have available..

Dicks can suck it...
Old 14 May 2018, 07:48
The Sagacious One

I think the thing with these businesses that make political decisions is that they see themselves identifying with the band of society that reflects their views and the other people that spend money there are OK as well. Its the other people that determine profit or loss, while they mire themselves in feelgood and unicorns.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:21
Authorized Personnel

Retailers should be aware that in today's marketplace, where you can get anything you need online and have it at your house the next day, that they should walk softly about alienating their customers. This ain't 1980 where you only have the options you can drive to.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:28
Authorized Personnel

I prefer Academy anyway. I always thought Dicks was over priced when I can go right down the street and get the same item cheaper. Well I could in Florida, can’t do that here but there is no shortage of sporting goods stores that sell everything a person needs

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 14 May 2018, 08:52
BTDT

Don't forget - it isn't just Dicks.

Field and Stream is anti-gun by association. In many places they are the same store-just separated by an archway.
It is was just Dicks selling yoga pants and team jerseys, I would understand - the same 63 million aMEricans that voted for hiLlary are not going to dIcks to buy outdoor supplies (they never did and never will).
...they went to buy yoga pants and team jerseys

It's all of the other customers that spents decades buying from f1eld & $tream because they assumed that a company named field&stream was rooted in providing goods and service for the outdoor crowd.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 14 May 2018, 09:04
incurs freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Retailers should be aware that in today's marketplace, where you can get anything you need online and have it at your house the next day, that they should walk softly about alienating their customers. This ain't 1980 where you only have the options you can drive to.
If you're sayin, "The Writing is On the Wall", then I agree.

Further, "What do you (They) Want the Writing to Say?"

RIP? Or Welcome to the New Store?

They have a Choice & Chance and I believe it to be a slim one.
Old 14 May 2018, 09:42
Bitter old man.

Field and Stream is for Fudds.

That Rural King place sounds cool. Wish we had them up here.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:04
Authorized Personnel

Like Longrifle had mentioned in a previous thread, we won't know until it's been a quarter or so to see how this affects the stockholders.

I live in a fairly "gun friendly" and no one goes to Dick's for firearms. Our local Academy store destroys them when it comes to all things firearms. The Dick's business here hasn't hurt in the least...however, I suspect there are areas where they did a good bit of firearms business whereby they may suffer more than others. In the end, if it doesn't hurt the stockholders enough, they will continue down the road they are on now.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:05
Authorized Personnel

Double tap....
Old 14 May 2018, 10:25

Prefer Gander Mountain any day. I'll not go back to Dick's again.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:36
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat68 View Post
Prefer Gander Mountain any day. I'll not go back to Dick's again.
Gander went bankrupt because they thought they were Bass PS or Cabelas, and were not. They would usually sell well above retail, and rarely offer discounts. Can't really expect folks to pay top dollar +, when most of what they stocked could be found online and cheaper, or from retailers down the street at a fraction of the cost.
Old 14 May 2018, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Gander went bankrupt because they thought they were Bass PS or Cabelas, and were not. They would usually sell well above retail, and rarely offer discounts. Can't really expect folks to pay top dollar +, when most of what they stocked could be found online and cheaper, or from retailers down the street at a fraction of the cost.
Got that! Think they have left about 70 stores open. I was always able to get pretty good deals on guns and ammo with a military discount at out local GM here in PA. Can't speak for the others. Some of our smaller mom and pop shops are just pricey.

Our new posting rules