SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 May 2018, 18:03
Been There Done That

Those stockers, or in this case re-stockers, it pays the same. Standing around joking or stocking the shelves. A couple of them may even understand.
Old 14 May 2018, 18:16
Authorized Personnel

To me the value of an action is the effect it has.

Does anyone think some dopey local Store manager is going to complain to the regional manager that some rando made them restock shelves and lost a sale and that regional manager will have a voice at corporate and corporate will add this example to the ďletís change our mindsĒ column?

Iíll answer: no.

As GSniper stated: a letter to corporate explaining why you didnít spend $7,000 at Dickís and instead spent it at Mikes (with a receipt proof) due to Dickís gun policy would go much farther than making two or three HIgh School kids stop staring at phones long enough to put that shit back so you could feel like you stuck it to the man at their expense.
Old 14 May 2018, 18:19
Authorized Personnel

I would imagine that if he was a person that was teetering on the line of being a supporter or gun nazi, he would probably choose to become a gun nazi since he was humiliated for the action of someone that he had no control over.

The same thing could have occurred by showing the manager the receipt of the money he missed out on because of "his" stores policies, but now he knows the gun nuts are what he was told they were.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:39
Confirmed User

Sorry the narrative that the litte stock guy got hurt is wrong. I called for the managers assistance right from the start to waste his time. The kid at the cash register was tring not to laugh his ass off in front of his very embarresed store manager in a very busy check out line.... All planned.
Old 14 May 2018, 19:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Douche move....but funny.
Old 14 May 2018, 23:57
Authorized Personnel

Dick's has long been anti-gun. Some years back they bought out Galyan's, which had a good selection of handguns, at least at the local store.

Once Dick's took over, the handgun sales ceased.
Old 15 May 2018, 00:06
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
I prefer Academy anyway.
A big yep! Best sporting goods store I've ever been to. I got 2 pair of UA running shoes for about $120 total. 5 years ago and I still have them.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:12
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I got 2 pair of UA running shoes for about $120 total. 5 years ago and I still have them.
Well, yeah, if you never run in them, they'll never wear out,
Old 15 May 2018, 08:27
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I would have seriously considered whether keeping my job meant more than chasing him into the lot and whooping his ass.

I get being pissed off at Dick's as an establishment and their corporate decisions.

But making guys who have no say so in that and who are just working at a job restock $7K worth of stuff (the heaviest stuff no less) is shitty.
Climb down off of your holier than though perch and read the news. There is a job available for anyone that wants one. Access to quality help is yet another way to impact a businesses bottom line. If junior doesn't want to haul heavy stuff, why does he work at a place that sells it?

What about your posse's trick of leaving food in the cart (which HAS to be put back before it spoils) when the glitch in their EBT card gets fixed while they are still in line?
Old 15 May 2018, 08:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

What about your posse's trick of leaving food in the cart (which HAS to be put back before it spoils) when the glitch in their EBT card gets fixed while they are still in line?
My posse? Huh?

Sure Junior wants or doesn't mind hauling heavy stuff at his job - for a purpose. This was no purpose. It was a planned event to try to prove a point. Tilting at windmills comes to mind.

If he wanted to make an impact that was meaningful and didn't take advantage of people at their jobs for his amusement, he should have gone and bought $7,000 worth of equipment at Sports Authority and then written a letter with proof of receipt to Corporate, or tagged them in a Tweet where it would get tens of thousands of shares and reshares.

As Keganswar stated - he planned this from the start. He planned to inconvenience a low-level local store manager, which would have zero effect on Dick's policy. It just served to affect a low-level store manager and lower level hourly employees and still had zero effect on Dick's gun policy.

It served no purpose. It has no affect. It just impacted a wage slob for the guy's amusement and validation once posting on a message board.

A very wise man once told me the true purpose of a gentleman is to make life easier for everyone else.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:40
The Sagacious One

Quote:
To me the value of an action is the effect it has.

Does anyone think some dopey local Store manager is going to complain to the regional manager that some rando made them restock shelves and lost a sale and that regional manager will have a voice at corporate and corporate will add this example to the ďletís change our mindsĒ column?

Iíll answer: no.

As GSniper stated: a letter to corporate explaining why you didnít spend $7,000 at Dickís and instead spent it at Mikes (with a receipt proof) due to Dickís gun policy would go much farther than making two or three HIgh School kids stop staring at phones long enough to put that shit back so you could feel like you stuck it to the man at their expense.
No business cares about your thoughtfully crafted letter. They care about the bottom line. If they cannot hire good employees or have to rehire those that resign, it costs them money. Dicks cares about the Soccer Mom that wears yoga pants, wears Nike Tennies 24/7 and drives, texts, puts on her make up while eating her low fat cream cheese bagel. Keaganswar should have stuffed an NRA pamphlet in the kids pocket on the way out.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:43
The Sagacious One

Quote:
My posse? Huh?

Sure Junior wants or doesn't mind hauling heavy stuff at his job - for a purpose. This was no purpose. It was a planned event to try to prove a point. Tilting at windmills comes to mind.

If he wanted to make an impact that was meaningful and didn't take advantage of people at their jobs for his amusement, he should have gone and bought $7,000 worth of equipment at Sports Authority and then written a letter with proof of receipt to Corporate, or tagged them in a Tweet where it would get tens of thousands of shares and reshares.

As Keganswar stated - he planned this from the start. He planned to inconvenience a low-level local store manager, which would have zero effect on Dick's policy. It just served to affect a low-level store manager and lower level hourly employees and still had zero effect on Dick's gun policy.

It served no purpose. It has no affect. It just impacted a wage slob for the guy's amusement and validation once posting on a message board.

A very wise man once told me the true purpose of a gentleman is to make life easier for everyone else.
Well, since you have declared what is and isn't, then I guess there's no need to argue. Tell VJ I send my best.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've already cast my vote. I'll never set foot in another Dicks. I just don't have enough asshole in me to go fuck with a bunch of drones to make a statement and make myself feel like I'm "doing something".
Old 15 May 2018, 08:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
No business cares about your thoughtfully crafted letter. They care about the bottom line.
Well saying "I would have bought all this stuff but I don't like you" is a lot different than "I bought all this stuff at another store instead of yours because I don't like you" and here's proof of it.

If you bring a ton of stuff to my counter and then tell me you don't want it because you don't like my religion or shirt or shoes or signs or stance on the 26th Amendment or for any other reason I'm not going to believe even the slightest bit that you ever intended to buy that stuff in the first place. You're just a dick.

However if you go and buy that stuff (put up or shut up) and then come in and prove you bought it elsewhere instead of my store where you would have preferred to buy it, I may listen to you.
Old 15 May 2018, 08:53
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I've already cast my vote. I'll never set foot in another Dicks. I just don't have enough asshole in me to go fuck with a bunch of drones to make a statement and make myself feel like I'm "doing something".
The wallet speaks mightier than the pen (Unless its writing a check).
Old 15 May 2018, 09:00
‹ber Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat68 View Post
Prefer Gander Mountain any day. I'll not go back to Dick's again.
ummmmmm.... you realize that Gander Mountain went bankrupt, then was bought by Camper World, whose CEO is anti-hunting, and has made some generalized anti-gun statements as well? He also encouraged "Trump Supporters" not to shop in his stores?

and that they closed the vast majority of their stores in the US last year? (a handful of Gander Mountains are supposed to be re-opening this year as "Gander Outdoor" stores..
Old 15 May 2018, 09:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
ummmmmm.... you realize that Gander Mountain went bankrupt, then was bought by Camper World, whose CEO is anti-hunting, and has made some generalized anti-gun statements as well? He also encouraged "Trump Supporters" not to shop in his stores?
Yup: LINK

Anti-hunting issue is from this incident: LINK
Old 15 May 2018, 11:20
Another pool cleaner

"Writing a letter to corporate"...tilting at windmills.
Old 15 May 2018, 11:47
BTDT

I think it sounds like a great idea...

You make the employees quit because they are tired of dealing with a peaceful pro-gun crowd - make them go to work for a competitor. it's no different than the left trying to run someone out of business over a political agenda. If you work for Dicks, you support their position and should expect the same harassment that people on the left should expect.
...like, the poor innocent NRA "member" not getting a discount on his cooler or plane ticket simply because a company is mad at the big evil NRA store for selling assault guns.
The individual is getting punished for the NRA position just like the Dicks manager is getting punished for working at Dicks - in the current political climate, an employee is a tacit supporter.

Sorry guy your company is paying lobbyists to whittle away at my rights - go restock the shelves and wait for the next pro-gun guy to come in and fill the basket with heavy shit...
...or maybe a cart load of hunting clothes and outdoor supplies, then leave when they don't have the AR-15 you wanted to use for hog
hunting.

Strongly worded letters result in the following statement from a corporation like Dicks...

"We have been humbled by the calls, emails, tweets and posts of support that so many of you have sent following our announcement on Wednesday, Our stores are grateful to those of you who have stopped in to share kind words, flowers and donuts.
We know that not everyone agrees with our actions, and we respect that, Even as strong supporters of the Second Amendment, we feel now is the time to have meaningful discussion about common-sense reform with the intent of finding a solution. We know there's going to be some backlash - We concluded that if these kids are brave enough to organize and do what they're doing, then we should be brave enough to take the stand and that's what we've done."

To a place like Dicks, flowers and donuts are worth more than angry customers sending them hate-mail.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 15 May 2018, 11:57
‹ber Equus Asinus

the truth is neither screwing with staff at a local Dicks, nor writing a letter to its CEO to bitch about his companys position on the 2nd Amendment will have much, if any impact...

Dicks is a publicly traded firm...

The only thing that matters is the bottom line.. they can say whatever they like about their culture, their values, their principles, etc..
If/when their stock loses value, the board and shareholders will start looking at swapping out the leadership that put their investment in the shitter.. investors rarely give 2 shits about corporate values.. they care about making money on their investment..

Until then, as long as the company remains profitable and stock values dont take a hit.. nothing will change (why would it?)...

Want to send a message?.. there is only one way to do it... stop buying stuff from them.. and encourage others to stop buying stuff from them.. and make sure everyone knows exactly why you have stopped buying from them.. and refuse to participate in investments (401K, mutual funds, etc..etc..) that invest in Dicks...

Last edited by mdwest; 15 May 2018 at 12:04.

Our new posting rules