Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 May 2018, 12:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Want to send a message?.. there is only one way to do it... stop buying stuff from them.. and encourage others to stop buying stuff from them.. and make sure everyone knows exactly why you have stopped buying from them.. and refuse to participate in investments (401K, mutual funds, etc..etc..) that invest in Dicks...
Makes sense to me.
Old 15 May 2018, 14:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Well, yeah, if you never run in them, they'll never wear out,
LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
No business cares about your thoughtfully crafted letter. They care about the bottom line.
It's like all the people complaining about the Washington Redskins having a racist name. As long as they're filling the stands on Sunday, no one cares about all the butt hurt, complaints, and protests. If the Skins ran out on the field at 1 pm and the stands were empty, I guarantee you they'd change their name on Monday morning.
Old 15 May 2018, 14:29
Drawing my cutlass

Iíve got a feeling that Dickís is going to go the way of Sports Authority, bankrupt and closing its doors because they canít compete with Bezoszilla.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 15 May 2018, 14:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I’ve got a feeling that Dick’s is going to go the way of Sports Authority, bankrupt and closing its doors because they can’t compete with Bezoszilla.
If they do, it's because they can't compete with them, not because of their refusal to sell certain weapons.

Their isn't enough of their funds being generated from weapons sales to hurt them!
Old 15 May 2018, 14:34
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
If they do, it's because they can't compete with them, not because of their refusal to sell certain weapons.

Their isn't enough of their funds being generated from weapons sales to hurt them!
We concur on their demise. Iíve never bought a firearm from a big box store.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 15 May 2018, 15:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
Two weeks ago me and my wife went to Dick's sporting goods in the mall. Huge store. I went in and went to town. I told them I was opening a gym and needed weights, a few treadmills, benches, heavy bags, dumbbell's lots of heavy items. All told it came to just under 7 grand worth of stuff. I got a manager involved asked some questions. I am ringing out and I turn to the manager and said I forgot an item. He's smiling and asks what the item is and he will run and get it. I told him an ar-15. He got really uncomfortable and apologized that they no longer sell that item. I smiled and said good luck restocking boys and left with the wife. #resist.
So you were a douche to people who had absolutely nothing to do with this. Good job punishing someone who didnt quit their job as soon as they found out their company made a policy they dont agree with! Now they are going to tell their friends and family about the kind of people they encounter who like AR's.
Old 15 May 2018, 15:52
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
So you were a douche to people who had absolutely nothing to do with this. Good job punishing someone who didnt quit their job as soon as they found out their company made a policy they dont agree with! Now they are going to tell their friends and family about the kind of people they encounter who like AR's.
Oh No!
Old 15 May 2018, 16:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
They told the world what they thought of gun owners with their politicized policy statement two months ago. Fuck 'em.
Old 15 May 2018, 16:46
Deplorable

Quote:
The only thing that matters is the bottom line.. they can say whatever they like about their culture, their values, their principles, etc..
If/when their stock loses value, the board and shareholders will start looking at swapping out the leadership that put their investment in the shitter.. investors rarely give 2 shits about corporate values.. they care about making money on their investment.

Bingo.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Old 15 May 2018, 17:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
I do need a new set of running shoes...
Off topic, but see if there is a running store near you. There's one where I live and they were super helpful when I bought a pair earlier this year.

I dunno how I feel about paying $9 for a pair of socks, though.
Old 15 May 2018, 17:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
They told the world what they thought of gun owners with their politicized policy statement two months ago. Fuck 'em.
So you know for sure that the kid working in the store supported that? Regardless. What does being a douche to someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the policy change accomplish? For all we know he was against it.
Old 15 May 2018, 17:09
Confirmed User

DICKS..........reason, explanation, description, and name........all with ONE word.........PERFECTION !
Old 15 May 2018, 17:58
The Sagacious One

Quote:
So you know for sure that the kid working in the store supported that? Regardless. What does being a douche to someone who has absolutely nothing to do with the policy change accomplish? For all we know he was against it.
And for all we know that kid got overtime so he could buy Mary Lou a dozen roses for the prom and finger bang her into oblivion.

For all we know....

For all we know....

See where I'm going with this?
Old 15 May 2018, 18:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
And for all we know that kid got overtime so he could buy Mary Lou a dozen roses for the prom and finger bang her into oblivion.

For all we know....

For all we know....

...still don't see where messing with a lower-level employee who's just trying to make some money to pay for insurance and have gas money for his Chevy Aveo has to do with 'stickin' it to the man'. While I don't necessarily agree with a penned letter, KW's way is a tad extreme. To me, like-minded persons should just simply stay away from the store...
Old 15 May 2018, 18:29
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
...still don't see where messing with a lower-level employee who's just trying to make some money to pay for insurance and have gas money for his Chevy Aveo has to do with 'stickin' it to the man'. While I don't necessarily agree with a penned letter, KW's way is a tad extreme. To me, like-minded persons should just simply stay away from the store...
There is no Grand being in the Sky that is Dick's Sporting Goods. Its a series of executive offices, stores and distribution centers that are equipped with merchandise and employees. Those employees are the face of Dicks. If you buy something and it breaks the next day, who do you call? Is it their fault your item broke? No but they feel the pain of your frustration none the less. Would I have selected this exact tactic? No, but if you are gonna "stay away" from every sliver of effort that tries to take your rights, stack your shit on the stoop and call the sheriff to come pick it up.
Old 15 May 2018, 18:44
Been There Done That

Quote:

For all we know....

For all we know....

No, because the unknowns that I mentioned had to do with the poor attempt at making a political statement, where as yours do not.

Quote:
There is no Grand being in the Sky that is Dick's Sporting Goods. Its a series of executive offices, stores and distribution centers that are equipped with merchandise and employees. Those employees are the face of Dicks. If you buy something and it breaks the next day, who do you call? Is it their fault your item broke? No but they feel the pain of your frustration none the less. Would I have selected this exact tactic? No, but if you are gonna "stay away" from every sliver of effort that tries to take your rights, stack your shit on the stoop and call the sheriff to come pick it up.
The irony here is that you are using this reference here to justify actions taken against them for a product that they do NOT sell. What does anyone stand to gain from treating the employee this way? If your son/daughter went into a store and started knocking items off of shelves just because they didnít like that store, would you be proud of them for that?
Old 15 May 2018, 19:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
What I was getting at is that it's similar to the boycotting of NFL games because of the rich, whiny bitches protesting the National Anthem. The owners, managers, players and exec's are getting paid, it's in their contract and I don't see any of them agreeing to a pay cut. The lower level vendors, janitors, parking attendants, ticket booth folks etc... are the ones getting a pay cut or a pink slip.
Old 15 May 2018, 20:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Off topic, but see if there is a running store near you. There's one where I live and they were super helpful when I bought a pair earlier this year.

I dunno how I feel about paying $9 for a pair of socks, though.
Yes an they were made in China or some other $2.00 a day job place.
Old 15 May 2018, 22:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
What I was getting at is that it's similar to the boycotting of NFL games because of the rich, whiny bitches protesting the National Anthem. The owners, managers, players and exec's are getting paid, it's in their contract and I don't see any of them agreeing to a pay cut. The lower level vendors, janitors, parking attendants, ticket booth folks etc... are the ones getting a pay cut or a pink slip.
I can agree with boycotts and all that, but I donít see this as being similar to the NFL boycott. Personally I will not give dicks another dollar of my money. However, I dont know anyone in retail who can afford to quit their job with no other source of income lined up as soon as they hear about a policy they donít like. So why would I direct my attack at that individual? To put it back in the NFL perspective, itís like being pissed off at the players, the executives, etc, so you go to a game and make a mess for the janitor to clean up. The people you are mad at will never even about it, much less be affected by it. There is a difference between boycotting an organization and just being an asshole to someone who has nothing to do with your frustration.
Old 15 May 2018, 22:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
I can agree with boycotts and all that, but I donít see this as being similar to the NFL boycott. Personally I will not give dicks another dollar of my money. However, I dont know anyone in retail who can afford to quit their job with no other source of income lined up as soon as they hear about a policy they donít like. So why would I direct my attack at that individual? To put it back in the NFL perspective, itís like being pissed off at the players, the executives, etc, so you go to a game and make a mess for the janitor to clean up. The people you are mad at will never even about it, much less be affected by it. There is a difference between boycotting an organization and just being an asshole to someone who has nothing to do with your frustration.
Why would the retail employee care? he gets paid the same irrespective of what he does. He might even get to work a couple of extra hours that week putting the items back.

No one directed any ire or disparaging comments at the retail employee nor was anyone being an a-hole to the retail employee from what I read.

I worked retail and lots of other menial tasks when I was younger. What was purported to have happened at D!cks is no big deal for the retail employees.

Am I missing something?

Our new posting rules