Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 29 July 2016, 23:32
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
In terms of your original question, take a look to see if any Wing Chun Chinese Boxing schools in your area. See if they are teaching it correctly, as if it is, it would seem to meet your needs. You are free to PM me if you have any questions. I ran a Wing Chun school for three years, and currently getting back into teaching a small group of students again.
Funny, that was somthing I did consider, but Phoenix didn't seem to have much that didn't seem like a "Taco-Pizza" place, if you know what I mean.
Old 30 July 2016, 06:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Funny, that was somthing I did consider, but Phoenix didn't seem to have much that didn't seem like a "Taco-Pizza" place, if you know what I mean.
Unfortunately that is the way it is with many Wing Chun schools. There are good ones and bad ones. And as you get further down the lineage many times the art gets diluted. I have seen some Wing Chun schools that are more about the "art" rather than the "Martial". Fortunately, I was trained old school style in Hong Kong, and passed on that lineage to my students.

The thing about Wing Chun at your age though, is besides the direct combat applications is if you learn the six forms, it can be essentially a good exercise system as well. Wing Chun is also very simplistic to many other martial arts styles, and designed to be learned in a short amount of time - but of course you must continually train hard to better yourself. You may not be able to go full contact, so to speak, but you can still do the forms well into your later years. My teacher is in his late 70s now, and still does the Wing Chun forms every morning. If you are learning Wing Chun correctly, the forms are the tools that give you the means to apply defense/attack to realistic scenarios in a very direct, close range, efficient manner. A good school will have practical sparring, combative drills, realistic applications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30 July 2016, 07:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
LP, I think you lived the life I wanted, bro...before it got hosed up by evil selfish unsavory women with no honor. Finally got that fixed.

Not really knowing the area, I was looking(dreaming) at REI guided treks. With side time on my own at Museums and Old School blade mfg stuff, etc; Was dreaming from the 6x6' corporate prison cubicle about where I'd rather be! While my coworkers giggle, whisper, and text stupid shit all day and try to rot my work ethic! It is time to retire and travel! LOL!
Trust me, you do not need a "Guided Trek". You fly to Kathmandu. There are more trekking/travel shops there than you can shake a stick at. Very easy to go in and arrange a guide and even a porter or two. And very inexpensive. Takes less than a day to arrange, while you sight see around Kathmandu. All REI is doing is acting as the middle man, planning it out before hand and charging a bundle. All my treks were solo treks, or as in the case in Ladakh I did hire a local Tibetan guide and his mule, but had the owner of the guest house I stayed at link me up. As that was a little different, as going for a month and no guest houses to stay at, so had to pack a tent, all the food, etc. Really, even if you have never traveled, been to the area, it is not hard to arrange at all. If you go to some of the more popular trekking spots like the Annapurna Trek, you will meet many other trekkers along the route. And don't worry about where to stay on the trek. There will be several 6-8 year girls/boys greeting you a half mile before you even reach a village tugging at your arms begging you to come to their Tea House, to stay the night, and enjoy their MoMos (Dumplings), fried rice, $3 Cokes, and fresh made apple pie.

Hec, you do not even need to buy any trekking gear/clothing before hand - you can buy all you want in Kathmandu. So many trekking gear shops, gear being sold that was left behind from various trekking/mountain trips of others, plus all the "North Face" brand stuff being made locally. And stop by the Khukri House to get a really nice Khukri for your trek as well.

Last edited by leopardprey; 30 July 2016 at 07:34.
Old 30 July 2016, 14:46
Policeman Officer

Shit, I'm sold.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 31 July 2016, 01:44
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Shit, I'm sold.
Me too! I may never come back. The simple life sounds better every year.
Old 31 July 2016, 02:55
#BlackRiflesMatter

I would plan on visiting as many of the climbing museums as possible, as well as spending time learning (what may be allowed) about the way they construct the Khukuri, and it's history. Great info here:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/kami.html
Old 31 July 2016, 08:58
Been There Done That

I have two Himalayan-Import Khukris. They are very fine quality. One of them I have extensively used/carried. IMHO, I think the best field set up, blade wise, is a Khukri and a Leatherman Skeletool. Set up I carried for years.

One place I have not been, and where many of the former Ghurkas (Indian Army) I worked with ended up settling down in, is Darjeeling, India and the areas just north of there. That has been on the agenda for many years now. Fly into Calcutta, then proceed north by train. Taking the trains across India, if you opt for first class, is actually a pretty nice experience. There is a good climbing museum in Darjeeling.

Old 31 July 2016, 09:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Me too! I may never come back. The simple life sounds better every year.
If my parents were not here in Indiana, and dealing with another family issue, I would move back to Hoi An, Vietnam.

For $1000 a month:

$300 a month for a decent place to live.
$20 a month for laundry
$50 a month for membership at one of several 5 star resort hotels located on the beach, to use their swimming pool and fitness center.
You can get a bike to travel all around the area. Cost around $150 for decent bike if you purchase one, or rent one for about $2 a day. Of course most places you rent out to live, you can work it out where they will provide you a bike. If you want a motorbike, you can rent for about $6 a day. Or buy a new one for around $2,000.
You can eat really really well on $10-$15 a day.
Free Wi-Fi at most all restaurants, hotels, coffee shops.
Buy a cheap mobile phone and phone cards as needed. No more than around $20-$40 a month. In Vietnam (and most places in the world) you are only charged for outgoing calls, not incoming. Girls will annoy you though, as they call, let it ring once then hang up. So you have to call them back and it is charged to your phone card.

Old 31 July 2016, 11:43
#BlackRiflesMatter

My cousin spends every vacation on the beach in VN. My bucket goal is to spend a year doing photography (wildlife & war history) in Nepal (90 days+/-), and then VN, Cambodia, and Thailand.

LP, does Nepal have Tigers like India does? Bears? Hey in the interest of keeping this thread on the martial arts topic, let's move this discussion to here and respectfully keep the mods happy:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...post1058583298
Old 31 July 2016, 12:23
Been There Done That

Yes, Nepal has tiger and bears. Tiger are in the low lands, a pretty good sustainable population, around 150 - 200 estimated. Bears are rare, and in more of the mountainous areas.

Nepal also has Yetis. Actually there are three different sizes, sub species of Yeti in Nepal.

My claim to fame, and hence one of the reasons for my Socnet name, is encountering a snow leopard in the wild, while trekking in the Helambu area. Though they are very rare to see.

The most dangerous animals you will encounter in Asia though are the mosquito and the Toyota Camry.

Old 31 July 2016, 13:36
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Gents , keep it on original topic. This is not the travel section.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 31 July 2016, 14:18
#BlackRiflesMatter

Thank you Rock, will do.

One of the reasons I want to spend the time in SE Asia is to take a look at their old school Martial Arts. Muay Thai being the most famous, but I know Cambodia has a similar national art, and Vietnam's history along the border with China has to have hundreds of years of interesting martial history. Growing up in the 60's-70's, SE Asia, and it's years of combat history has always captured my attention.
Old 18 March 2018, 21:07

Asking about Krav-Maga. And then you mentioned a self defense system that doesn't go to the ground. I'm sorry, but there is no martial art that is going to guarantee that you will not be knocked on your ass or lose your balance throwing a punch. For the most part, Krav-Maga is a Greenbelt level kickboxer at best. They do have some fun gun and knife disarms. But you also mentioned doing something with your wife. I would find a casual kickboxing gym and learn what it's like to throw some punches and kicks as well is absorb them from time to time. I would avoid the gyms where everybody thinks they are the next ufc champion.
Old 19 March 2018, 10:34
Confirmed User

Disses Krav > touts kickboxing in the same thread.

OK.
Old 19 March 2018, 12:16
Been There Done That

Tycon, what did you ultimately decide to pursue?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 March 2018, 12:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Tycon, what did you ultimately decide to pursue?
I think Tycon is taking a little vacation

Our new posting rules